McDougallers in Canada

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: McDougallers in Canada

Postby Taggart » Mon Feb 23, 2015 11:03 am

judynew wrote:Thanks for that little gem about the raisins. Who knew? I also have been looking for oil free cranberries without luck.

I am in Scarborough and we are blessed in Toronto with so many ethnic stores and also so many ethnic groups shopping in regular grocery stores. It is getting easier and easier to find things. Dr Greger suggested looking in Asian stores for goji berries, for example and, sure enough, they are so much cheaper there.

Whenever possible I buy organic produce in my regular grocery store to encourage them to stock more. Recently I noticed that my No Frills no longer had their organic section and, when I asked the produce manager, he said that they had lost $6000 in a couple of months because people were replacing the organic stickers with regular stickers and only paying regular price for the food. Understandably the store could not sustain such losses so now they only have organic bananas and carrots because they are difficult to switch.

I can never find everything I want from any one grocery store. I go to a few different nearby ones throughout the week. For instance last Friday I remembered seeing a small bag of President's Choice Mini Sweet Potatoes at Loblaws on my previous visit. Should of bought them on my previous visit, but for some reason I didn't. Anyhow, they were no where to be found. I had to get a few groceries yesterday, so I thought I'd try by luck at another Loblaws store. Sure enough, they were in stock. Yet to try these mini sweet potatoes though to see if they pass my taste test.
Taggart

Postby HappyTummy » Mon Feb 23, 2015 12:27 pm

I'm on the west coast of Canada and have a gluten-free, vegan, McDougall compliant blog:

http://beansriceeverythingnice.weebly.com/

I post recipes weekly.

Where I live, in Vancouver, there are many stores that carry McDougall compliant foods: Whole Foods, Choice's Markets, Nature's Fare, as well as regular grocery stores and corner vegetable markets. We also have a lot of Vegan / Vegetarian restaurants and gluten-free bakeries with vegan options. None of them are oil-free and gluten-free eating is always tricky.
HappyTummy

Postby judynew » Mon Feb 23, 2015 1:08 pm

Happy Tummy, your recipes look lovely. I'm definitely going to try the chili with cornbread topping.
judynew

Postby Taggart » Fri Feb 27, 2015 5:43 pm

CBC - Wheat Belly arguments are based on shaky science, critics say

Scientists dispute claims in best-selling book, fifth estate finds

Watch The War on Wheat Friday at 9 p.m. (9:30 NT) on CBC’s the fifth estate
Taggart

Postby HappyTummy » Sat Feb 28, 2015 9:12 pm

Hi Taggart,

Thanks for the link to the documentary. I have watched it and there really wasn't anything new to me. I have Celiac Disease. I am proud to say, "I have never read Wheat Belly or Grain Brain," and I never will. I understand the backlash, though. I thinks books like this give incomplete information and cause confusion and minimize the importance of diet rather than helping people who have a medical need to follow a gluten-free diet. I would never recommend a gluten-free diet to someone who did not need to follow one. It is probably the most difficult diet change I have ever made. Harder than switching to McDougall. But, the gas, bloating, cramping, diarrhea, constipation, brain fog, extreme fatigue, anemia, heart palpitations, uncontrolable hunger, and insomnia are all but gone or under control since removing gluten from my diet. The change has been worth it. I'm not going back. My blog recipes reflect what I eat now. Most of them are just simple everyday foods that don't use gluten substitutes. Hopefully. they will appeal to most other people whether they follow a gluten free diet or not.
HappyTummy

Postby greentea » Sun Mar 01, 2015 7:55 am

Taggart wrote:
judynew wrote:Thanks for that little gem about the raisins. Who knew? I also have been looking for oil free cranberries without luck.

I am in Scarborough and we are blessed in Toronto with so many ethnic stores and also so many ethnic groups shopping in regular grocery stores. It is getting easier and easier to find things. Dr Greger suggested looking in Asian stores for goji berries, for example and, sure enough, they are so much cheaper there.

Whenever possible I buy organic produce in my regular grocery store to encourage them to stock more. Recently I noticed that my No Frills no longer had their organic section and, when I asked the produce manager, he said that they had lost $6000 in a couple of months because people were replacing the organic stickers with regular stickers and only paying regular price for the food. Understandably the store could not sustain such losses so now they only have organic bananas and carrots because they are difficult to switch.

I can never find everything I want from any one grocery store. I go to a few different nearby ones throughout the week. For instance last Friday I remembered seeing a small bag of President's Choice Mini Sweet Potatoes at Loblaws on my previous visit. Should of bought them on my previous visit, but for some reason I didn't. Anyhow, they were no where to be found. I had to get a few groceries yesterday, so I thought I'd try by luck at another Loblaws store. Sure enough, they were in stock. Yet to try these mini sweet potatoes though to see if they pass my taste test.

Same here, i usually hit several different stores to do my groceries. You have to be prepared to not always be able to find what you need. Last week I hit 5 stores looking for basil to no avail. LOL!

Judynew, have you been to a T&T supermarket? They are so much fun. I miss the asian supermarket near my old place. They had an outstanding selection of produce especially green leafy vegetables.
greentea

Postby Dougalling » Mon Mar 02, 2015 6:22 am

If in Toronto/Oakville/Vaughan check out OrganicGarage.ca
Buy organic and natural products for less.
Dougalling

Postby Taggart » Wed Apr 08, 2015 8:51 am

Whole Grain Sourdough Bread

Every so often I read members here down in the U.S. give a mention about "whole grain" sourdough bread. For the last few years, I've actually been looking for it in bakeries and grocery stores in Toronto's west end and in Mississauga and I've never ever seen it. Sure, I can always purchase sourdough bread that's white and fluffy and obviously made from refined flour, or there's always dark rye bread, but that's about it.

My question. Has anyone anywhere in Canada actually seen it anywhere up here, in any province? Just curious.
Taggart

Postby Melinda » Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:44 am

We live in Vernon, in the Okanagan Valley and we are very fortunate to have the chain of Natures Fare stores located here. There are 6 stores - Vernon, Kamloops, Kelowna (2), Penticton and Langley (near the Coast). They have been voted top retail store by the Health Foods Association in Canada 4 years in a row I believe. They are also very environmentally focused, and their organic produce is truly better than the other stores here, plus they support local organic farmers whenever possible. There is a large community of organic farmers here - great Farmers' market as well that runs May to end of October. Plus we have a really good bulk food store - "Simply Delicious" . I also shop at Save On, a BC grocery chain. And "Quality Greens' a mostly produce store is good too. :-D
Melinda

Postby Dougalling » Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:03 pm

Tall Grass Prairie Bread Co. in Winterpeg makes this wonderful bread

" Light Sourdough Rye Bread (Oil free!): Organic unbleached Manitoba white flour (wheat), stone-ground whole rye flour from organic Manitoba grains, stone-ground whole wheat flour from organic Manitoba grains, water, rye sour, caraway seed, sea salt, yeast, ascorbic acid derived from organic citrus fruit. Vegan No added sugars, mollases, honey No added oil "

They also make a wonderful black bean and lime dip. It's quite spicy hot so I add a can of Casa Fiesta fat free refried black beans to it.

Boon Burger has this wfpb patty for their burgers. They also sell their patties separately.

" grilled black bean patty: black beans, red beans, lentils, brown rice, onion, garlic, perfectly seasoned with chili, cumin, tomatoes and fresh cilantro. This is a favorite for people with soy/wheat sensitivities. "

Meyers Whole Foods has a large selection of gluten free foods, some of which is wfpb.

The Bulk Barn is great for nuts, seeds, gluten free foods that are also wfpb.

Weight Watchers bread is wfpb.
Dougalling

Postby Taggart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:10 am

Dougalling wrote:Tall Grass Prairie Bread Co. in Winterpeg makes this wonderful bread

" Light Sourdough Rye Bread (Oil free!): Organic unbleached Manitoba white flour (wheat), stone-ground whole rye flour from organic Manitoba grains, stone-ground whole wheat flour from organic Manitoba grains, water, rye sour, caraway seed, sea salt, yeast, ascorbic acid derived from organic citrus fruit. Vegan No added sugars, mollases, honey No added oil "

Not perfect, but looks far healthier than any sourdough bread I've tried in my area. There's still hope I'll eventually find something at one of my local stores.

Thanks very much for posting Dougalling.
Taggart

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 7:31 am

I'm a McDougaller in Toronto. Lots of choices around here.

However, I would love to find a cooking course that is strictly WFPB. I can't seem to find a course suitable for the WOE.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

Postby Taggart » Thu Apr 09, 2015 8:49 am

Werner1950 wrote:I'm a McDougaller in Toronto. Lots of choices around here.

Lots of choices in Toronto for what?

Werner1950 wrote:However, I would love to find a cooking course that is strictly WFPB. I can't seem to find a course suitable for the WOE.

I kind of doubt you'll find anything in the way of cooking classes in Toronto for this way of eating. I only do this part time, and I'm certainly not a great cook, but anything I've learned it's been from this site, youtube, blogs or books that do this style of food preparation and cooking.

Doctor said the other day my cholesterol is extremely low and she brought my medication down from 10 mg to 5 mg so I must be doing something right.
Taggart

Postby Dougalling » Thu Apr 09, 2015 10:10 am

FOK will offer online WFPB cooking classes via Rouxbe cooking school.

http://www.forksoverknives.com/forks-ov ... d-cooking/
Dougalling

Postby Werner1950 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:18 pm

Taggart wrote:
Werner1950 wrote:I'm a McDougaller in Toronto. Lots of choices around here.

Lots of choices in Toronto for what?

Werner1950 wrote:However, I would love to find a cooking course that is strictly WFPB. I can't seem to find a course suitable for the WOE.

I kind of doubt you'll find anything in the way of cooking classes in Toronto for this way of eating. I only do this part time, and I'm certainly not a great cook, but anything I've learned it's been from this site, youtube, blogs or books that do this style of food preparation and cooking.

Doctor said the other day my cholesterol is extremely low and she brought my medication down from 10 mg to 5 mg so I must be doing something right.

For eating out, and for shopping. Even at our regular grocery chains. Although I don't buy organic. I daily walk by Asian vendors that are loaded with produce of all kinds. They are generally much cheaper than your grocery stores.
"An ounce of evidence is worth a pound of presumption"
Werner1950

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge