Men's Journal interview with Dr Fuhrman

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Men's Journal interview with Dr Fuhrman

Postby Adrienne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:10 pm

http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/joe ... 107?page=1

For those interested in Dr F's thoughts on flu shots/vaccines see the bottom of page 3.

At 5'10 and 150 pounds it's hard to believe he was able to fast down to 88 pounds. I can't imagine what he would look like half the size he is today.
Adrienne

Re: Men's Journal interview with Dr Fuhrman

Postby rickfm » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:26 pm

At 88 lbs he would have looked like walking death. :shock:
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby Adrienne » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:39 pm

My thoughts exactly!
Adrienne

Postby alias » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:42 pm

Thanks so much for posting the article. I enjoyed reading it.
alias

Postby dempseygirl » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:11 am

Thanks for posting this!
dempseygirl

Postby never give up » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:15 am

Thanks for sharing this Adrienne. It was a very interesting article.

At 88 lbs he would have looked like walking death.
Seems like he must have felt like walking death too. :shock:
never give up

Postby shell-belle » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:21 am

I skimmed the article and will go back and read it. Thanks. There is no page 8 - it only is a 4 page article so I didn't see any reference to the flu shot there. However on-line I found the info below on what Fuhrman thinks of the flu shot:

Joel Fuhrman says that flu shots and expensive medical treatment is not the answer to immune imbalances, but instead it lies in improving the nutritional quality of our diet.

He outlines how certain plant foods contain significant amounts of substances that can enhance immune function. These include leafy green vegetables, mushrooms, pomegranates, berries and seeds. He supports his statements by referring to a variety of scientific studies confirming the benefits of these foods.

However, his recommendation is not just for us to include these foods in our diet, but to eat them in large enough quantities and simultaneously. It is the types of foods as well as how they are combined together that is critical to achieving long-term success on this super immunity diet.

http://www.everydiet.org/diet/super-immunity-fuhrman

If you're thinking that you'll just get the flu shot because it can only help, guess again. Dr. Fuhrman writes in his book that the risks of getting the flu shot include hives and anaphylaxis, neurological disorders such as nephritis, encephalitis, and optic neuritis, demylentating disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Gullian-Barre syndrome and Henoch-Schonlein purpura.

http://www.examiner.com/article/getting ... hink-twice
shell-belle

Postby never give up » Fri Nov 09, 2012 7:53 am

Thanks for the links shell-belle.
If you're thinking that you'll just get the flu shot because it can only help, guess again. Dr. Fuhrman writes in his book that the risks of getting the flu shot include hives and anaphylaxis, neurological disorders such as nephritis, encephalitis, and optic neuritis, demylentating disorders such as multiple sclerosis, Gullian-Barre syndrome and Henoch-Schonlein purpura.

For the first time ever I have really been on the fence about getting a flu shot. My doctors alway encourage me to have one because of a weakened immune system. (I have MS, Chrones disease and have had cancer.) I have always gotten one, because their arguement seemed logical at the time.

Fuhrman's statement that the risks of getting the flu shot includes MS really gives me pause. I would love to hear what made him come to that conclusion. I just have never heard that anyone knows conclusively what causes MS. :?
never give up

Postby Alfred » Fri Nov 09, 2012 1:57 pm

Here's the single page link:
http://www.mensjournal.com/magazine/pri ... e-20121107

shell-belle wrote:I skimmed the article and will go back and read it. Thanks. There is no page 8 - it only is a 4 page article so I didn't see any reference to the flu shot there. ....
Alfred

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Nov 09, 2012 2:49 pm

That was a fun/interesting article. My favorite parts/quotes:

"plant-based libertarianism"

"But it's hard to be perfect all the time, even if the payoff is near-eternal health."

"Twice, I awoke at night convinced I'd dreamed of the world's most delicious food. The third time, I jotted it down. In the morning, the taboo delicacy haunting my subconscious was revealed in my handwriting: Mustard."
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby drkadoch » Fri Nov 09, 2012 9:37 pm

The part of the article I found most interesting was this:

I noticed that Rob was picking at his nutritarian dinner – steamed kale in creamy cashew sauce.

"Any foods you miss?" I asked him.

"Bread," he said, stirring his vegetable soup. "I really miss bread."

Humans crave starches. They always have and always will. Ways of eating that deprive them of starch will leave them unsatisfied and will decrease overall long term compliance.

Best,
MK
drkadoch

Postby Theodore » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:23 pm

drkadoch wrote:The part of the article I found most interesting was this:

I noticed that Rob was picking at his nutritarian dinner – steamed kale in creamy cashew sauce.

"Any foods you miss?" I asked him.

"Bread," he said, stirring his vegetable soup. "I really miss bread."

Humans crave starches. They always have and always will. Ways of eating that deprive them of starch will leave them unsatisfied and will decrease overall long term compliance.

Best,
MK

I remember a couple of years ago, I tried to give up bread just to see if I could do it. The answer was no.
Never eat anything that has an ass.
Theodore

Postby Conz » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:04 am

He looks too much like a skeleton. I suppose living off salad will do that to you.
Conz

Postby didi » Sun Nov 11, 2012 7:15 am

I hope the fact that he abused his 5'10'' body by dieting down to 88 pounds was a misprint. If it wasn't then one has to rethink taking advice from someone who isn't all there mentally.

Didi
didi

Postby funcrunch » Sun Nov 11, 2012 12:47 pm

didi wrote:I hope the fact that he abused his 5'10'' body by dieting down to 88 pounds was a misprint. If it wasn't then one has to rethink taking advice from someone who isn't all there mentally.

To be fair, he said he was fasting to treat an injury, not trying to lose weight down to anorexic levels. I know nothing about fasting myself however, so am neither defending nor not defending his mental status...
funcrunch

Next

Return to The Lounge