Arsenic in Rice? New report

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Arsenic in Rice? New report

Postby alias » Fri Sep 21, 2012 11:25 am

Here is a good article from Consumer Reports including daily recommendations for children and adults.

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/arsenicinfood.htm
alias

Postby ulialen » Fri Sep 21, 2012 1:46 pm

I think it is a very important argument this.
And most of all, it regards specially the people of this forum because rice
it is largely used here.
So it would be very good if people here will ask more accurately opinion and information about this argument.
Because it is very very very important such thing about rice.
We are speaking of one of most used food by people here (and in all the world).

I have just substitute the rice milk with barley milk for my daughter. She drink however only one glass per day.

At home i have substitute rice with basmati rice and so it would be good but at home i eat it not all the day.

But at work i still continue to eat brown rice every day because they have only it as whole grain food.

So it would be good to have the opinion of the experts as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Ale
ulialen

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:18 pm

ulialen wrote:I think it is a very important argument this.
And most of all, it regards specially the people of this forum because rice
it is largely used here.
So it would be very good if people here will ask more accurately opinion and information about this argument.
Because it is very very very important such thing about rice.
We are speaking of one of most used food by people here (and in all the world).

I have just substitute the rice milk with barley milk for my daughter. She drink however only one glass per day.

At home i have substitute rice with basmati rice and so it would be good but at home i eat it not all the day.

But at work i still continue to eat brown rice every day because they have only it as whole grain food.

So it would be good to have the opinion of the experts as soon as possible.

Thanks,
Ale

Yes. I'd like to hear Dr. McDougall's take on the situation.

Here's another article http://www.latimes.com/business/money/l ... 3269.story

Snippet:
"Earlier this week, the FDA recommended that people “eat a balanced diet containing a wide variety of grains” but said consumers shouldn’t have to change their rice consumption “at this time.”

The agency said it is currently analyzing some 1,200 rice products for arsenic content and has monitored the issue for decades."

The idea that the FDA has been monitoring this for decades doesn't exactly set my mind at ease. Who trusts the FDA? Not I, said the Agnes. :lol:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby HealthFreak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:30 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:The idea that the FDA has been monitoring this for decades doesn't exactly set my mind at ease. Who trusts the FDA? Not I, said the Agnes. :lol:

I agree! We all have levels of BPA, glysophate and other environmental toxins in our bodies. Why is arsenic any different? Why the big scare article about arsenic in rice? Is the FDA hard at work to protect us from everything else?
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau
HealthFreak

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Fri Sep 21, 2012 2:52 pm

HealthFreak wrote:
AlwaysAgnes wrote:The idea that the FDA has been monitoring this for decades doesn't exactly set my mind at ease. Who trusts the FDA? Not I, said the Agnes. :lol:

I agree! We all have levels of BPA, glysophate and other environmental toxins in our bodies. Why is arsenic any different? Why the big scare article about arsenic in rice? Is the FDA hard at work to protect us from everything else?

In my most cynical moments, I'm prone to conclude that the world is a toxic place where all the foods are full of poisons, and regardless what you choose to put in your gut, you might as well eat, drink and be merry, because it's all gonna kill ya eventually. :duh: :lol:

When choosing between our polluted foods, it's still best to eat a variety. Right? I mean that helps keep our craziness balanced.

:wink:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Lasko77 » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:57 pm

I am going to just keep doing what I am doing. This arsenic has been in the rice for years and years and I have been eating it for years. I think it was a slow news week and this was all they had to cover. Of course, as always, vary grains a little more and rinse rice. I ate brown rice last night and I am eating it again tonight.
Lasko77

Postby HealthFreak » Fri Sep 21, 2012 5:56 pm

Lasko77 wrote:I am going to just keep doing what I am doing. This arsenic has been in the rice for years and years and I have been eating it for years. I think it was a slow news week and this was all they had to cover. Of course, as always, vary grains a little more and rinse rice. I ate brown rice last night and I am eating it again tonight.

Ditto
"There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root." Henry David Thoreau
HealthFreak

Postby rickfm » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:34 am

South Korea suspends rice imports from America.
http://news.yahoo.com/south-korea-suspe ... nance.html

That's one way to make them take it seriously... hit 'em in the pocket book.
~Rick

Mmmm.... cabbage!
Keeping it Simple
rickfm

Postby elgaeb051 » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:17 pm

I would appreciate hearing what Dr. McDougall and/or Jeff think about this latest report. Consumer Reports is a respected organization.

I've eaten about 4 cups or more of brown rice every day for the last few years. I've always thought/read that eating food repetitiously as long as one is also eating a variety is fine to do.

With regard to rice, this program and arsenic and food in general .... I'd love to hear Dr. McDougall's take. I've stopped eating rice ... but I am well aware I may be over-reacting. I'd love to hear a common sense approach since this latest report has come out.
elgaeb051

Postby Debbie » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:40 pm

HealthFreak wrote:

To me, its a distraction. ^shrug^

Rice has been around for centuries. So has organic (as opposed to inorganic) arsenic. Since its in the air, soil and water and thus vegetation, to me its a non issue for the most part.

Its a distraction because it takes away the focus from what we should be focusing on. This gives the FDA something else to do 'thats more important' than watching to factory farming practices and big pharma among other things. Their attention is elsewhere so certain things now go by the wayside.

And while we've known about this for several years, its only making big news now cause plant/starch based diets are making so much noise today then just a few years ago. 'Oh Bill Clinton, arent you worried about getting sick from eating arsenic tainted rice'? Because being sick with heart disease isnt worse than naturally occurring arsenic. :roll:

Thats why its a distraction IMO. ;-)
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby HealthFreak » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:26 am

Due to the arsenic scare I made a big batch of millet instead of rice to go with my McDougall Simple Split Pea Soup, from the Mcdougall recipe app.

Please don't tell me what is in millet, I don't want to know:)
Last edited by HealthFreak on Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HealthFreak

Postby ulialen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:50 am

Anyone know which nation have a safe brown rice?
India,China,etc?

Or anyone have more information about italian brown rice? if is there a brand safe of italian brown rice?

At work i can choose between white rice, white pasta, brown rice and only sometimes soup of legumes and cereals.
When there is the soup i eat that, but there is rarely so everyday i eat brown rice.
So if i exclude brown rice what is the best food that i can eat? white rice?

What is the effect of white rice versus brown rice on cholesterol levels?

Thanks,
Ale
ulialen

Postby Lasko77 » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:05 pm

HealthFreak wrote:Due to the arsenic scare I made a big batch of millet instead of rice to go with my McDougall Simple Split Pea Soup, from the Mcdougall recipe app.

Please don't tell what is in millet, I don't want to know:)

Healthfreak, you did not hear, there is E-Coli in millet. HAhahhahahahaha! Just kidding, of course. LOL!
Lasko77

Postby Vegan Hunter » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:10 pm

I'm I goner!! :crybaby: I eat alot of rice, I don't wash my potatoes, strawberries, and apples good enough, and I have mercury build up from all the years I ate fish! :mrgreen:

I think there is much in this world to be concerned about. Arsenic in rice isn't one of them. When we examine the overall health of plant based populations, pestisides and heavy metals never factor in. If we nourish our bodies the best we know how, we filter out most of the bad stuff. That's my belief anyway.

I know this has already been covered, just wanted to add my 3 cents.
There are three kinds of people in this world. Those that are good at math, and those that aren't.
Vegan Hunter

Postby ulialen » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:32 pm

I agree.
But if the scientific studies say that there is a limit level to the absorbtion of arsenic that means that if you overcome that limit you begin to expose yourself to a serious risk.
Also if we decide to ignore the scientific studies saying that they are not valid in some case for some reason, we have to justify that because otherwise we can say in the same manner that all the studies that attest the healthy of whole food plant based diet, are not valid because of some other reasons.

We cant use scientific studies only when they support our ideas and ignore when they support different ideas. If they are valid we cant ignore.

Ale
ulialen

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge