Junk Science? Rice linked to Type 2 Diabetes!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Junk Science? Rice linked to Type 2 Diabetes!

Postby Tom Dylan » Fri Mar 16, 2012 8:50 am

Greetings

This is my first post on this discussion forum. I'm in my third week on the McDougall Diet, with fantastic results. The results include a 12+ pound weight loss, dramatically more energy, and I'm nearly off of blood pressure pills (reduced by 75%). It also appears my mild asthma has disappeared. There have been various other benefits too numerous to mention here.

Suffice it to say, I'm a "true believer," who has intently studied every McDougall YouTube lecture and poured over newsletters. So when I ran across this ridiculous "scientific" study, it sounded like something that needs a good debunking.

From a standpoint of pure logic, it seems that all the study really proves is that Asians who eat the most are more at risk for type 2 diabetes. Of course, one of those foods is rice. But the conclusion that white rice is to blame seems ridiculous on its face.

Here is a link to the article:
http://ca.news.yahoo.com/white-rice-see ... 37784.html

My sister has type 2 diabetes, and I hope to be an inspiration to her. Misinformation like this is not helpful. :\

Tom
Tom Dylan
Tom Dylan

Re: Junk Science? Rice linked to Type 2 Diabetes!

Postby f1jim » Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:19 am

You are absolutely correct that this study told us nothing. It was so poorly done by looking at basically one factor only and drawing conclusions that those conclusions are highly suspect. They even mention in the article the severe limitations of the research. It's odd that suddenly diabetes is now rampant in cultures that have been eating rice for centuries without widespread diabetes but now that it's here let's blame the rice!
Very sad.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Return to The Lounge