Veganteen's Elimination Diet

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Veganteen's Elimination Diet

Postby blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:02 pm

I had the same reaction to oranges and grapefruit when I introduced them, but tangerines seem to be ok.
Success using WFPB diet to avoid steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. I don't hurt anymore :)
blue

Postby blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:08 pm

veganteen wrote:Blue -

At this point, I have a lot of accessible foods that could very well be triggers, so I'm just recording what I eat and seeing what happens. I know of foods that I'm eating that don't (because they shouldn't, as per everybody's observations) cause these problems, like sweet potatoes. Right now I am to cutting out wheat and bananas and looking to see if there's any difference. I understand that how I'm eating is a pretty unproductive elimination diet, but most of the foods I eat and have eaten for a while are possible triggers!

One of the purposes of the elimination diet I followed was to get inflammation down to a minimum by eating a very restricted list of foods for 3-4 weeks before adding possible problem foods such as the nightshades, gluten, and even others that aren't classic problem foods. Are you working towards an ED such as that? Just wondering if you might have more success going that route...get control of the inflammation and pain first, then work on finding the pain triggers. Not that what you're doing won't be effective...just an idea :)
Success using WFPB diet to avoid steroid treatment for polymyalgia rheumatica. I don't hurt anymore :)
blue

Postby veganteen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:18 pm

That's what I want to do. I'm just having trouble eating the foods on that restricted list all the time. What did you eat for those 3-4 weeks?
veganteen

Postby blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:09 pm

http://www.wholelifenutrition.net/id16.html
I ate the foods on phase 1 for 4 weeks, excepting oils and some of the foods that I didn't care for or were not available to me.

I think Dr. McDougall has an elmination diet here that is even more restrictive in the beginning than the one that I followed, but I hadn't found McDougall yet when I started my diet last fall.

My interest in weight loss was secondary to calming inflammation and then determining food sensitivities, but it came off easy and was a welcome side effect. Really, I am happy to eat nothing but the phase 1 foods forever if that means no more pain! But thankfully I have been able to expand my diet to include other things.

For me, it was just really important to get to a baseline of as little pain as possible for several weeks before I started testing foods.
Last edited by blue on Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
blue

Postby blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:19 pm

Here is a link to Dr. McDougall's ED:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/med_allergic.html

He suggests one week before adding new foods in, but in my case it took 3 weeks before I began feeling a lot better, that is why I waited a month before making additions.

I didn't expect to get immediate results, and I didn't. After 3 weeks I was 80% pain free with flares lasting just a few days rather than weeks on end. As time passed, things have just gotten better and better and over the past two weeks I haven't had any pain at all.

There are some others here who have seen pain resolve completely within a week. Of course results will be individual.
blue

Postby veganteen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:35 pm

Blue -

Thank you! The diet that you followed is a more extensive list than McDougall's, which is why I found McDougall's difficult to follow closely because I eat a lot of foods that aren't mentioned on his list.

The Whole Life Nutrition list looks doable, but again, I eat a lot of foods that are forbidden on a daily basis (I just made a batch of split peas, for example, and I've been eating bell peppers and mushrooms for the past couple of days thinking those were OK).

Next time I go shopping, which should be this weekend, I will only buy the foods on the list and figure out new meals from there. Thanks for all the help, I hope this inflammation goes away with some tweaks.
veganteen

Postby blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:55 pm

THose foods may be ok, but really since you are still having pain issues here and there, it's really difficult to say. Split peas are a favorite of mine so that was one of the first foods I introduced and didn't have a problem. Bell peppers are nightshades so may be worth eliminating for a few weeks.

What I like about the whole life nutrition diet is that it its a bit more structured in that there are 4 phases for introducing the foods, with phase 1 being the main anti-inflammatory part. I expected to still have pain during phase 1 until my inflammation was down, and once the inflammation was down after a few weeks the pain reduced, and then I began adding foods. This is what I think--after two weeks on phase 1 I was still having pain, but it wasn't due to the foods I was currently eating, but that my body was still inflamed from the foods I previously had been eating before starting the diet, and after one more week things improved dramatically and I am certain now that none of the phase 1 foods are pain triggers for me. I hope that makes sense! I have tested meat a few times, and while it doesn't cause me any pain, I've decided not to return to eating it.

Anyway, let me know how things go for you!
blue

Postby veganteen » Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:58 pm

Yeah, I guess I'll just have to cut out everything that's not in phase 1 to find out, but I can't do that just yet unfortunately.

I just started having some pretty serious knuckle pain again, all of a sudden. It's on a different knuckle this time, but the same kind of pain.
veganteen

Postby blue » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:04 pm

I took about 3 weeks to phase into the diet. I had things in the pantry and fridge that I wanted to eat one last time or didn't want to throw out.

You'll get there :)
blue

Postby veganteen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 8:32 am

Woke up this morning with considerable pain in my left hand. Probably will not be able to work out today. Will post what I've eaten today later.
veganteen

Postby veganteen » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:11 pm

Day 11

Again, woke up with knuckle/finger pain and wasn't able to close my hand very much. It migrated out of my knee. Some of the pain has left over the course of the day, but some of it is now in my wrist.

B - two Japanese sweet potatoes, a few carrots
L - carrots, spit peas, mango, apple
D - Broccoli/asparagus/spit peas and a couple sweet potatoes
veganteen

Postby veganteen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:58 am

Day 12

Had wrist pain in the morning, but the night before was terrible. I had to take two vicodin to get to sleep.

B - brown rice with blueberries, flax, cinnamon
S - mango, carrots
L - yellow squash, zucchini, red peppers, onions
S - sweet potatoes
D - Buddha's Feast at P.F. Changs (broccoli, mushrooms, carrots, snow peas, asparagus), brown rice, brussel sprouts with lemon and ginger (didn't taste like they had oil, so I hope they didn't)
Also had a little bit of WW pasta, not really thinking it through. And some pecans, a banana, and some split peas. I was a little hungry today.
veganteen

Postby blue » Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:39 am

Have you seen this thread? There are a few others currently following EDs:
viewtopic.php?f=16&t=27101
blue

Postby veganteen » Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:57 pm

Blue -

Thanks for the link, that'll help me a lot as this progresses.

Today will probably be a terrible day for my ED, since it's St. Patty's day and all I plan on eating potatoes and cabbage. Hopefully the pain won't be too bad tomorrow, but we'll see. I plan on going shopping tomorrow so I will only buy ED food.
veganteen

Postby veganteen » Sun Mar 18, 2012 7:56 pm

Day 14 (skipping 13 - didn't take notes on what I ate so I can't give an accurate account)

Did have some pain but nothing new. Woke up this morning with some hip pain, and finger pain.

B - Had a Bio-K probiotic shot and kefir from Whole Foods, sweet potatoes, mango, banana
L - a few colcannon balls (fat free vegan recipe - kale, potatoes, soymilk, spices), potato/sweet potato/carrot mash
D - black rice w/ asparagus, red/yellow/green bell peppers, mushrooms, spinach
After dinner snack - sweet potato, potato, orange
veganteen

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge