Prescription Drugs

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Do you take prescription drugs?

Poll ended at Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:58 am

No
59%
Yes, 1
25%
Yes, 2
7%
Yes, 3
5%
Yes, 4
3%
Yes, 5
No votes
Yes, 6
No votes
Yes, 7
No votes
Yes, 8
No votes
Yes, 9 or more
1%

Total votes : 76

Re: Prescription Drugs

Postby Gramma Jackie » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:15 pm

goldilocks wrote:No drugs for me.

There was only one time in my life when I took a prescription drug. About 9 years ago I was diagnosed with Graves' Disease (autoimmune hyperthyroid disease). I experimented with quitting gluten since I read they were connected, and within two weeks my hyper symptoms that I'd had for over a year all cleared up and never returned. Then the suppressing antibodies became dominant. I read that these often take longer to clear up, so I was expecting this. I stuck it out for a while without meds, but after a few months I couldn't take it, and persuaded my doctor to give me the lowest possible dose of synthroid. I took this for about 6 months, until I felt that I was feeling kind of hyper again, then tapered off and quit. Since that time, every time I test my blood my thyroid levels are normal, and this summer I checked and had no trace of antibodies either - yay! Gluten-free works for me.

At the same time I got the Graves' Disease diagnosis, I found out that my cholesterol was 300 (!!!) My doctor wanted to put me on drugs, but I resisted, and started eating a starch-based McDougall style diet. When I checked again my cholesterol had dropped to 174. My doctor said she'd never seen anyone lower their cholesterol so much, so fast, without using drugs. I asked her if now she would at least tell her other patients that she had seen someone do this, and suggest they change their diets before just going on drugs, but she shrugged it off and said no one would do it. Sigh.

I am hypothyroid and I heard that too about a gluten-free diet helping to cure thyroid problems since both conditions are autoimmune related. I have Celiac and have been on a gluten-free diet for 6 months. I am sure hoping it cures my hypothyroidism. That would be wonderful. I would love to get off my thyroid medication.
Gramma Jackie

Postby LauraA » Mon Feb 27, 2012 12:34 pm

Those who need medication should be happy that it is available, and often lifesaving. It still is good to see that our averages are so much better than SAD eaters! Take care, LauraA
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Postby jjazzbel » Sun Mar 04, 2012 1:35 pm

Still taking 3 prescription meds.
- Must take thyroid replacement for autoimmune thyroid disease.
- Taking 25 mg hydrochlorothiazide for blood pressure - my goal is to control blood pressure completely with diet, lifestyle (meditation & tai chi) and exercise.
- Also Vit D - I still feel the benefit and have no ill effects. Bone density has improved as well since supplementing.

Blood pressure is troubling. I eliminated salt from our diet years ago, and have 95% slow cooked, home cooked meals for at least year. We eat out rarely because of the sodium. Local restaurants are great about eliminating oils but not so great about the salt. I have been completely vegan for 7 months, with no added oils for 3 months. I guess I expected to see blood pressure lowering by now. If anyone has any insight into how long before blood pressure improvements are seen, please respond.

Thank you
jjazzbel

Previous

Return to The Lounge