Does Dr McDougall promote white rice?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Does Dr McDougall promote white rice?

Postby Adrienne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:45 pm

In the debate Dr McD said "to be on the cautious side" he recommends limiting beans to one cup a day on average. He said when you need a diet that is only 3 or 5% protein and you are taking in a food that is around 30% protein it could potentially be problematic, though he admitted he wasn't certain when he first made the recommendation years ago and he is not certain now.

Dr F then said he didn't "recommend much more than a cup a day either"
Adrienne

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:48 pm

Adrienne wrote:Dr F then said he didn't "recommend much more than a cup a day either"

Dr F is always quite clear in everything I have read from him both books and forum; beans are unlimited but a minimum of one cup per day...minimum.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Adrienne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:05 pm

I have listened to the debate a few times and that is honestly what I heard him say about beans. You can order up the ASW weekend (I highly recommend it - there is so much good info and you get to watch it over and over for 6 months) and watch it for yourself. Unless I heard him incorrectly...but I don't think so. John Mackey then said something about the two of them being in agreement about limiting the beans.
Adrienne

Postby VeggieSue » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:52 pm

Yep, that's what he said in that debate. Yet in one of his other lectures (I think the "resolving food addictions" one) he stressed how important it is to fill up on beans, to make it your main starch. So which is his *real* recommendation??

I only watch each one once and do have a hearing impairment so maybe I mis-heard, but I don't think so. That's why I asked this same question the other day, because he usually *does* say a minimum of a cup a day while Dr. McD says a cup maximum.
VeggieSue

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 26, 2012 5:33 pm

I would stake my life that Dr Fuhrman always says 1 cup beans is the minimum (except in the rare case of kidney disease etc). And he never says "fill up". He says "eat until satisfied, not until full." And "if you can feel your stomach after a meal that means you have eaten too much."

There is always the thin chance that he misspoken in the "excitement" of the moment but guaranteed, beans is one cup minimum in Dr Fuhrman's world. And yes, that is one of the big differences between him and Dr McDougall.
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Jan R » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:12 pm

I agree - for me being thin isn't the major goal anymore. Although when I first joined this community it was up a notch or two. However, to me health is so far more important. I don't eat white rice - although it probably does have fewer calories????than say brown rice (unsure here). However, I eat wild and brown rice and can say that I do this as it these rices have the highest amount of fibre compared to white rice and jasmine rice. At the end of the day, this way of living out does other 'diets' or 'ways of living'. I can attest to the fact that people comment on how great my skin is and how well I look. Cheers - Jan and Cuz Nicki.
Jan R

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:43 pm

CRONoMeter white vs brown rice
Rice, brown, long-grain, cooked 1 cup 216.4 calories
Rice, white, short-grain, cooked 1 cup 241.8 calories
GeoffreyLevens

Postby patty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:51 pm

GeoffreyLevens wrote:I would stake my life that Dr Fuhrman always says 1 cup beans is the minimum (except in the rare case of kidney disease etc). And he never says "fill up". He says "eat until satisfied, not until full." And "if you can feel your stomach after a meal that means you have eaten too much."

There is always the thin chance that he misspoken in the "excitement" of the moment but guaranteed, beans is one cup minimum in Dr Fuhrman's world. And yes, that is one of the big differences between him and Dr McDougall.

From Eat To Live:

Beans or Legumes

Legumes are among the world's most perfect foods. They stabilize blood sugar, blunt your desire for sweets, and prevent mid afternoon cravings. Even a small portion can help you feel full, but in the Six-Week Plan I encourage you to eat at least one full cup daily. They can be flavored and spiced in interesting ways, and you can eat an unlimited quantity of them. Eat some beans with eve lunch. Among your choices are chickpeas, black-eyed peas, black beans, cowpeas, green peas, lima beans, pinto beans, lentils, red kidney beans, soybeans, cannellini beans, pigeon peas, and white beans.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:55 pm

Mahalo Patty!
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Adrienne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:57 pm

I do not doubt what Dr F has said in the past about beans. I am simply quoting what he said last week in the debate with Dr M. Dr F clearly said "I do not recommend much more than a cup a day either." (Dr F then went on about how doesn't want anyone eating too much of anything and wants people to eat a variety of food.) John Mackey pointed out that limiting beans was an area of basic agreement between the two.

If you do not believe me order it up and watch it for yourself. :)
Adrienne

Postby Adrienne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 8:07 pm

I just listened to it again (it's at 16 minutes in for those interested) and
just to add he also added if you are eating the proper variety of foods you can't be eating 3 or 4 cups of beans a day or else it is not the proper variety of foods.

So basically, according to Dr F, if you are eating the proper variety of foods you will be automatically limiting beans or around 1 cup a day.
Adrienne

Postby patty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:04 pm

In detoxing off SAD, I found the beans really stabilize the blood sugar. I always had a container in the refrigerator. Sometimes I would just eat a tablespoon or two and I would no longer be squirrelly.

At one of the gateways the members were able to listen to Dr. Fuhrman. These are from my notes..

He shared if you took a can of beans it might say 200 calories a cup? No because calories are not biological assessable to the human body, even though a bean is mostly carbohydrate, 1/2 is resistant starch. The body doesn't have the enzyme to break it down, 1/2 of the resistant starch travels to the lower colon. It doesn't break down to glucose, it is broken down so far in the colon it breaks down to fat so those fats don't get into the blood stream. The fat lines the walls of the colon. It is anti-inflammatory so the stool passage is preventive of colon cancer. The bacteria also produce beneficial nutrients that have anti-cancer benefits. You might have trouble digesting to begin with. The body with time will become a better bean digester. Compare beans to other sources of carbohydrates, beans win the prize... he goes on to explain the benefits.

Geoffrey I am sure has the information down. I love eating beans:) but now potatoes (I love the white potato) are my source of satiety. When I was practicing ETL I didn't eat potatoes or rice. And I had to detox of the nuts and seeds. This WOE for myself is a deep learning curve, and with ETL I really was able to listen to my digestive system.. because of the amount of veggies/fruits and beans. The body becomes the best ally. I would never eliminate beans. I always have a stash in the house:) I just no longer have a container of them in the refrigerator.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Adrienne » Sun Feb 26, 2012 9:25 pm

It was not the calories of the starch that Dr F was concerned about. The discussion was about potentially getting too much protein. Again, I do not doubt what Dr F has said in the past. And again I think the point he was getting at is that when you are eating a variety of foods you will automatically not eat too many beans. But he did in fact state that he did not "recommend much more than a cup a day either." Not sure what "much more" means though. :)
Adrienne

Postby patty » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Adrienne wrote:It was not the calories of the starch that Dr F was concerned about. The discussion was about potentially getting too much protein. Again, I do not doubt what Dr F has said in the past. And again I think the point he was getting at is that when you are eating a variety of foods you will automatically not eat too many beans. But he did in fact state that he did not "recommend much more than a cup a day either." Not sure what "much more" means though. :)

I see:) sorry. hmmm maybe because Dr. Fuhrman suggests eating a minimum cup of beans when first detoxing off SAD to counter react the SAD cravings. It took me two months of straight ETL before the cravings left. I am sure Dr. Furhman feels the person will naturally cut back as the cravings decrease. Beans are usually used in soups or salads, so I imagine a cup would probably be way more than enough. I remember a member sharing Dr. Fuhrman suggested that they cut back the amount of beans. I never weighed or measured my food.. so I am not sure how much I ate. I don't have any health issues other than being a addict:)

This is from "Super Immunity"... maybe it puts the everyday amount of beans in the food menu into perspective.

Here are five simple rules for a powerful immune system that you should commit to memory: 1. Eat a large salad every day. 2. Eat at least a half-cup serving of beans/legumes in soup, salad, or another dish once daily. 3. Eat at least three fresh fruits a day, especially berries, pomegranate seeds, cherries, plums, oranges. 4. Eat at least one ounce of raw nuts and seeds a day. 5. Eat at least one large (double-size) serving of green vegetables daily, either raw, steamed, or in soups or stews.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby ETeSelle » Mon Feb 27, 2012 8:53 am

patty wrote:Here are five simple rules for a powerful immune system that you should commit to memory: 1. Eat a large salad every day. 2. Eat at least a half-cup serving of beans/legumes in soup, salad, or another dish once daily. 3. Eat at least three fresh fruits a day, especially berries, pomegranate seeds, cherries, plums, oranges. 4. Eat at least one ounce of raw nuts and seeds a day. 5. Eat at least one large (double-size) serving of green vegetables daily, either raw, steamed, or in soups or stews.

Those may be Dr. Fuhrman's recommendations, but they conflict with Dr. McDougall's, particularly #3 and #4. Do keep in mind whose forum this is when making recommendations! :)
Elizabeth
Weight now: 124 (20.0 BMI)
Weight in 2010: 207 (33.4 BMI)
Star McDougaller Story
Testimonial thread

Trust me on this: One day you'll wake up and realize that it no longer feels like "being strict." It just feels GOOD. :)
ETeSelle

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge