ASW Weekend Update

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: ASW Weekend Update

Postby Acura » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:28 pm

Adrienne wrote:IMO Dr F is just grasping at straws and looking for reasons to justify his personal preference for higher amounts of nuts.

I think this is unsubstantiated and unfounded charging of someone who appears to produce results beyond what was thought possible.
CC
Acura

Postby Adrienne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:39 pm

That is why I wrote "IMO" which stands for "In my opinion." :)
And again IMO if you watch Jeff's lecture on nuts he interprets the science more accurately than Dr F.
Adrienne

Postby Acura » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:59 pm

Adrienne wrote:That is why I wrote "IMO" which stands for "In my opinion." :)
And again IMO if you watch Jeff's lecture on nuts he interprets the science more accurately than Dr F.

I think we should not fall to words such as "science", "Study". If you noticed these days who doesn't use those words? Everybody does. My motto has been to keep ears and eyes wide open, learn and experiment. There are so many contradictions in what they write if you were to carefully analyze them and they all have their positions regardless of science.
CC
Acura

Postby Adrienne » Thu Feb 23, 2012 1:06 pm

Another point: Dr E's patients ate very low fat and they didn't suffer from arrhythmias. In addition to Dr E, Dr M, and Jeff, Drs Campbell, Shintani, Barnard, and Lederman all recommend keeping the fat at around 10%, 15% at the upper end. (Dr Campbell doesnt say that in TCS but he says in the online cornell program and he has said it in webinars).

Chimichanga I encourage you to watch Jeff's nuts lecture. It's an eye-opener and he helps to put all the info and claims about nuts into perspective.
Adrienne

Postby carrotlvr » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:16 pm

They're having one in Chicago this summer, and the bus or train from Detroit to Chicago is dirt cheap. Really thinking of going:

I live about 20 minutes away from St. Charles which is where the lodging/immersion is going to be. St. Charles is beautiful, very touristy and great little shops. You should stay an extra day or 2 to get in some good stuff around here too. Let me know if you need a guide.

Just would also wonder Kate, what you would like to get out the immersion. It seems like you know most of the important stuff and you are already a good leader. You could probably get up and teach the stuff yourself
carrotlvr

Postby Katydid » Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:49 pm

carrotlvr wrote:
They're having one in Chicago this summer, and the bus or train from Detroit to Chicago is dirt cheap. Really thinking of going:

I live about 20 minutes away from St. Charles which is where the lodging/immersion is going to be. St. Charles is beautiful, very touristy and great little shops. You should stay an extra day or 2 to get in some good stuff around here too. Let me know if you need a guide.

Just would also wonder Kate, what you would like to get out the immersion. It seems like you know most of the important stuff and you are already a good leader. You could probably get up and teach the stuff yourself

Thanks. What I want is a vacation where I can get educational lectures, food I don't have to cook or worry about, exercise and a whole weekend looking at Rip E :D . What I really want is to go to Costa Rica, but that will have to wait until my personal finances are in better shape. Something for the bucket list.

Kate
This diet can save your life - it saved mine! Read my story at:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/stars/cathy_stewart.htm
Katydid

Postby Ron 43 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 5:26 pm

BarbG wrote:Advanced Study Weekend

Thanks much.
Ron 43

Postby KareninTN » Thu Feb 23, 2012 6:30 pm

Katydid,

Tom and I just signed up today to do the immersion in Hudson, NY at the Esselstyn farm. I agree with all your reasons; it sounds like a great vacation to me. There's no such thing as too much positive reenforcement, in my opinion.
McDougalling since summer, 2005. Maintaining my 100 pound weight loss since summer, 2007. My Star McDougaller stories: video written
KareninTN

Postby frozenveg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:51 am

Well, I know I'm checking in late to discuss the ASW, but leaving town for 5 days made my life incredibly busy--2 people at work had their babies, including my boss, which makes me in charge at work, and that means everyone has to fight with one another and behave like babies at work! I had a wonderful time at the ASW--it was fantastic to meet F1Jim and his wonderful wife, and Vanilla Orchid and her DH and SIL, and BarbG, LyndaK, and many others. It was a privilege to meet, have lunch with, and have my pic taken with Lani Muelrath, and to hear the speakers, and to talk with Mary and Dr. McDougall--what a thrill!

This was the first McD event I have ever attended, and to come from Alaska and have this experience was mind-blowing! It was especially exciting to meet Becky and Bruce from Anchorage, Alaska, whom I had never met, and who told me about the Vegetarian Society of Alaska, which meets right here in Palmer! DH and I are attending a potluck this Saturday, and I am very excited to meet people right here who are of like mind!

It was also exciting for me, because Dr. M asked me to be interviewed on camera so my Star McDougaller story can be here on the board...I am waiting with trepidation to see if I came off as even marginally coherent! He also showed me proofs of The Starch Solution, so I could see my story in it! :o

I thought the debate was interesting and hysterically funny, and it really showed how incredibly close Dr. F and Dr. M are in their approaches. The difference is like a gnat's hair, and the message I got was to take what is meaningful to you from each approach and make it work for you. (I will always be a starch baby!) As to Dr. F's behavior, my analysis is that he is, by nature, a smart-aleck (to use the technical term), quick with a joke, and full of energy even when he's tired. So I looked at everything he said in that light, and took his barbs, and his muscle-and-belly demonstration, with a grain of salt, (as in, you had to be there). It seemed like he had just gotten off a plane from the East Coast, which probably tired him out, like our flights from Alaska did to us the day before, and he went from the airport to the hotel, changed his shirt, and ran up on stage to begin his presentation. He talked a mile-a-minute in that first lecture, and by the next day's lecture, when he'd had a night's rest, he was much more relaxed, and spoke much more calmly!

All the speakers were so great, so full of information, empathy, and humor. I loved every minute of it, but the best part BY FAR for me was that my dear husband, who sort of gave this trip to me for Valentine's Day, was totally sold. He was incredibly impressed with Dr. M's integrity and honesty, and told him so. He loved hearing John Mackey's vision for the future of eating well. He saw a lot of value in what Dr. F had to say about nutrient density. He was very impressed and informed by the other doctors' presentations. And he is now committed! (I think Dr. M's challenge of eating 12 slices of bread a day really got to him, and he is pursuing that right now! And it seems to be working for him!)

The food on the weekend was fabulous! It's funny, since my daily meals are what DH always calls "glop," but I didn't have a single soup the whole weekend! The tables were filled with such good food, I figured I'd eat stuff that's unlike what I make for myself all the time. I gained 2 pounds (tho I've lost them now, by this morning), but DH, who ate twice as much as I did, lost about 10! 'Course, he still has XX pounds to lose, and I'm at my weight range, so it's not that surprising.

I couldn't have hoped for a better experience, and with the added bonus of having my wonderful husband finally commit fully to this way of eating, I am in heaven!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby frozenveg » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:53 am

Also, Katydid, you are so right in that every event like this is so reinforcing--especially not having to cook for once--that it is a great experience any time you can get it!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby Lani Muelrath » Fri Feb 24, 2012 9:01 am

frozenveg wrote:Well, I know I'm checking in late to discuss the ASW, but leaving town for 5 days made my life incredibly busy--2 people at work had their babies, including my boss, which makes me in charge at work, and that means everyone has to fight with one another and behave like babies at work! I had a wonderful time at the ASW--it was fantastic to meet F1Jim and his wonderful wife, and Vanilla Orchid and her DH and SIL, and BarbG, LyndaK, and many others. It was a privilege to meet, have lunch with, and have my pic taken with Lani Muelrath, and to hear the speakers, and to talk with Mary and Dr. McDougall--what a thrill!

...I couldn't have hoped for a better experience, and with the added bonus of having my wonderful husband finally commit fully to this way of eating, I am in heaven!

Froveg, glad you made it home safely and it was such fun to meet up at the ASW. I've got our picture in my download collection and will be reporting in on your marvelous story soon. I also enjoyed meeting your DH and am thrilled to hear your report of his experience! This was definitely a good weekend for EVERY one - whether a veteran, or brand new to eating wflfpb.

I'm sure your 'coherency' came across just fine in the video!

Best to you both,
Lani
Lani Muelrath

Postby moonwatcher » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:04 am

Hi Frozenveg--

I have followed your story on this forum and always enjoy and learn from your intelligent, articulate comments. I just wanted to add my congratulations that your husband is now on board with you! Living alone, I have always thought that must be such a chahllenge. Now you can eat "good glop" together!! :-)

And by the way, you made me laugh out loud about how your co-workers acted like babies when the actual babies got born into the world. :lol: Ah, human nature. . . :)

moonwatcher
Please join me at my new blog Plant-Based Slow Motion Miracle

http://fatfreevegan.com/slowmiracle/

Or visit my journal, Moonwatcher's Slow Motion Miracle, on this site. Before and after pictures on page 4.
moonwatcher

Postby patty » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:42 am

frozenveg wrote:I thought the debate was interesting and hysterically funny, and it really showed how incredibly close Dr. F and Dr. M are in their approaches. The difference is like a gnat's hair, and the message I got was to take what is meaningful to you from each approach and make it work for you. (I will always be a starch baby!) As to Dr. F's behavior, my analysis is that he is, by nature, a smart-aleck (to use the technical term), quick with a joke, and full of energy even when he's tired. So I looked at everything he said in that light, and took his barbs, and his muscle-and-belly demonstration, with a grain of salt, (as in, you had to be there). It seemed like he had just gotten off a plane from the East Coast, which probably tired him out, like our flights from Alaska did to us the day before, and he went from the airport to the hotel, changed his shirt, and ran up on stage to begin his presentation. He talked a mile-a-minute in that first lecture, and by the next day's lecture, when he'd had a night's rest, he was much more relaxed, and spoke much more calmly!

Interesting observation about Dr. Fuhrman.

I love these videos of Dr. Elisabet Sahtouris http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_immL2m ... re=channel

Looking forward to seeing your video:)

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby TerriT » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:55 am

frozenveg wrote:All the speakers were so great, so full of information, empathy, and humor. I loved every minute of it, but the best part BY FAR for me was that my dear husband, who sort of gave this trip to me for Valentine's Day, was totally sold. He was incredibly impressed with Dr. M's integrity and honesty, and told him so. He loved hearing John Mackey's vision for the future of eating well. He saw a lot of value in what Dr. F had to say about nutrient density. He was very impressed and informed by the other doctors' presentations. And he is now committed! (I think Dr. M's challenge of eating 12 slices of bread a day really got to him, and he is pursuing that right now! And it seems to be working for him!)

What a wonderful outcome to your trip - you must be thrilled!
TerriT

Postby Adrienne » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:22 pm

Frozenveg:

You are on camera a lot during the weekend and I just wanted to say you look fantastic!!! As for your husband, when the camera was on him you can tell he was paying attention and it is so great to hear that he connected with the message. Who knows maybe one day he will be a star mcdougaller as well. :)
Adrienne

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge