20 @60 or What happened to the fat boy?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: 20 @60 or What happened to the fat boy?

Postby pinkrose » Tue May 29, 2012 1:00 am

merriweather wrote::D I have to add my bit to all the positives! You are always there, with so much good imformation for us. Thanks so much. I guess I was early in the game to find out you are male. One of my sons loved hot pink as a kid. He had an old blanket he had been given that was that color. So right off I knew you were one of the good guys!! :lol:

Ha ha! Thanks for your kind note, Merriweather! :D

Actually, I do not recall my favorite color as a kid but...years ago I read that pink is the most flattering color (maybe for almost everyone)...and figuring I needed all of the help I could get in that department, it became my favorite color. I have lost count of how many pink shirts I have but I no longer have the pink pants...since they were too BIG for me!!! :D :-D :)
pinkrose

Postby Wanderlust » Tue May 29, 2012 6:23 am

Hi Pinkrose,

That is very interesting about pink being the most flattering color. I am always buying my husband pink dress shirts. I think he looks great in them. I don't think they would have been his first choice, but he's use to them now. :-)

- Sue
- Sue
Wanderlust

Postby Brad » Tue May 29, 2012 7:20 am

Pinkrose, your input has always been....sagacious. And inspirational. I would like to thank you for your input and support to me, others, and this website.

Thank you,
Brad
My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
Brad

Postby frozenveg » Tue May 29, 2012 7:29 am

Pinkrose, the first present my mother ever gave my new husband was a multi-pink striped shirt (this was the late 60s!), and he loved it. Since then, there have been many times when he has bought a T-shirt or a polo that he calls "red," and my daughter and I let him know in no uncertain terms that it is hot pink! So he has lots of "pretty pink shirts" (his term)! Very flattering!
5'3", 74 YO. Started Jan. 11, 2010
Starting weight: 222.6
Current weight: 148.2.0

Success Story:
https://www.drmcdougall.com/articles/st ... -rockwell/
frozenveg

Postby yvie » Tue May 29, 2012 11:47 am

Thank you Pink Rose. You are definitely a valued contributor to this board with your inspiring posts and your links to great articles.

2 Questions:
1) It seems that you don't eat beans or tofu. Is there any particular reason for this?
2) I noticed that you have a large and beautiful family. Do they eat the same as you do? If not, is it difficult sometimes to feel a sense of harmony with them when you are always eating something different than them ? (I ask this question because I sometimes struggle with eating meals that my partner doesn't enjoy.)
I want to spend the last half of my life as healthy and vibrant as possible. Eating well and exercising are instrumental to having a good life. Thanks for the inspiration!
yvie

Postby Norm » Tue May 29, 2012 2:14 pm

pinkrose wrote: I no longer have the pink pants...since they were too BIG for me!!!
I still have pink pants that are wearable!! I'll have to have my wife take a picture to share.
I've long been a fan of pink. Years ago my son was forever stealing my socks and I found my sock drawer empty one too many times... so I went and bought a couple dozen pair of white crew socks and some fabric dye and dyed them all hot pink. Problem solved. He never touched my socks again!!

Manly men wear pink. :)

-Norm
Norm

Postby pinkrose » Tue May 29, 2012 5:01 pm

yvie wrote:Thank you Pink Rose. You are definitely a valued contributor to this board with your inspiring posts and your links to great articles.

2 Questions:
1) It seems that you don't eat beans or tofu. Is there any particular reason for this?
2) I noticed that you have a large and beautiful family. Do they eat the same as you do? If not, is it difficult sometimes to feel a sense of harmony with them when you are always eating something different than them ? (I ask this question because I sometimes struggle with eating meals that my partner doesn't enjoy.)

Yvie, thanks for asking. Since I know (based on the advice of Jeff Novick, RD) that beans are not necessary and since I do not like the way they make my belly feel, I stopped eating them a long time ago and have not suffered any ill effects from dropping them. I also avoid tofu because it is refined. I think you can be quite well nourished on veggies and starches.

The woman next to me in the photo is my better half...and that is how I explain to people (in Chinese) that I am half Chinese! :D The girls are my students. I have very few boys since I teach in a nursing school.

I have not met one person in China who eats as I do but...my wife is making progress and I am grateful! My wife cooks very tasty meals for our visitors and I eat my veggies and rice. For me, it is not a problem. Everybody over here knows that foreigners are weird! :roll: :D :roll:
pinkrose

Postby pinkrose » Tue May 29, 2012 5:06 pm

Norm wrote:
pinkrose wrote: I no longer have the pink pants...since they were too BIG for me!!!
I still have pink pants that are wearable!! I'll have to have my wife take a picture to share.
I've long been a fan of pink. Years ago my son was forever stealing my socks and I found my sock drawer empty one too many times... so I went and bought a couple dozen pair of white crew socks and some fabric dye and dyed them all hot pink. Problem solved. He never touched my socks again!!

Manly men wear pink. :)

-Norm

:D Great story, Norm!

In regard to pink, I tell my students it is the color of health. :!: You do not need to slap the moving, breathing pink baby. :D The blue ones get slapped! :eek:
pinkrose

Postby Gramma Jackie » Tue May 29, 2012 6:39 pm

I had read some of your story before, but this is the most complete one you've posted. I was the other way around. I grew up skinny and didn't start putting on weight until I got married and had kids. Having hypothyroidism didn't help. So now I need to get skinny again. You are right, this way of eating works and you are living proof.
Gramma Jackie

Postby dlee » Tue May 29, 2012 7:19 pm

pinkrose wrote:
Norm wrote:

In regard to pink, I tell my students it is the color of health. :!: You do not need to slap the moving, breathing pink baby. :D The blue ones get slapped! :eek:

Great story Pinkrose you've done so well and it really hits home for everyone... thanks for sharing it. interesting that you are happy on your diet without the beans, so simple. :-D
Great story about the pink socks too Norm :-D
I'm always inspired by this group!!
Now I'll quietly go get my pink blouse ironed for tomorrow! what fun! Lol Dlee
dlee

Postby Tiger » Wed May 30, 2012 3:35 am

You bring to mind that Bob Dylan song, "I was so much older then, I'm younger than that now". (I wonder if he feels that way today??)

I wish I could find this short story I read a few years ago by a Chinese author - it was about the breakfasts his family ate versus the political and economic changes China was going through. As the economy got westernized, so did the breakfasts. Eggs and bacon replaced rice and pickles and people stopped eating together. It was very funny; in the end, he went back to his traditional breakfast.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby shell1226 » Thu May 31, 2012 4:52 am

You never fail to inspire me. I thank you for sharing your story with us.
Rachelle

shell1226

Postby Norm » Fri Jun 08, 2012 8:12 pm

I took some photos today as "before" pictures for the DDP Yoga site and I remembered this thread and figured I'd go get some pink on for the pics!! Even though they appear baggy on me in the picture below they've been taken in considerably from my heaviest.

Real men wear pink!

-Norm
Norm

Postby Tiger » Sat Jun 09, 2012 2:46 am

Brightest flower in the yard, Norm! :-D

It's great to see bright colours. My husband bought some salmon-pink pants and wore them when we went to the city last weekend. He bet that we wouldn't see any other man wearing bright-coloured pants (shorts didn't count) and he was right. Not just the men but the women - all in black, beige or navy.

I wonder if if says something about our mood when we wear dark or bland colours. I have almost all black clothing myself (because it's slimmming! ;) ) but it's so refreshing to see bright pink.
Be compassionate, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle.
Tiger

Postby pinkrose » Sat Jun 09, 2012 3:18 am

Norm wrote:I took some photos today as "before" pictures for the DDP Yoga site and I remembered this thread and figured I'd go get some pink on for the pics!! Even though they appear baggy on me in the picture below they've been taken in considerably from my heaviest.

Real men wear pink!

-Norm

The Pink Pantster :D :-D :)
pinkrose

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge