I Think I've Been Brainwashed

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: I Think I've Been Brainwashed

Postby Atom » Fri Jun 03, 2011 12:44 pm

I did an interesting test yesterday. After reading a study where 6 guys were given 5000 calories in a day on pure high carb food, minus animal products, protein fat and the like, their metabolic output (thermogenesis) actually increased and all of the calories were burned completely in a matter of 15 hours. Well, I have those metabostix that you use on low carb diets and it shows when you are burning fat or metabolyzing fat and I ate a whole bunch of daifuku (Japanese rice cakes with sweet bean paste filling...CARB CITY). I ate those thorughout the day, probably 900 calories worth. Then I did the carb stick and it was moderately purple showing that fat was being metabolized. It couldn't be fat I just ate because I didn't eat any fat at all that day and those daifuku rice cakes have 0 grams of fat in them. CARBS do get your metabolic engines running. I am convinced of that. We've been duped to think that high protein, low carb is the way to lose weight AND have health. Good luck to you!
Atom

Postby Steelhead » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:18 pm

Adrienne wrote:Thank you Steelhead.

Yes we were referring to the same thing. I took notes during that webinar but not in extensive detail.

Just to add the subject of protein powders is not mentioned in the China Study so you didnt somehow miss anything.

Thanks. I was going to reread The China Study to figure out what I missed; now I don't need to. I think I have copies of all the materials; if you need something let me know and I'll email it to you.
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby Kyon » Sun Jun 05, 2011 1:11 pm

Daifuku, me and my cat Aiko would share those.

Just wanted to drop an update. I went back to kickboxing(was out sick and missed 3 classes), the trainer was wondering about the change. He asked if I had some pent up anger or something because I was hitting the bag like a champ. I think I am just feeling better and not grumpy from lack of energy/being hungry.
Kyon

Postby Jan R » Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:27 pm

Hello Kyon - I have in the past also done the high protein every couple of hours and yes initially you lose the weight, however I felt really unhealthy. I've felt so much better in myself and felt really energised since starting the McDougall diet. In saying that I haven't lost a lot of weight since commencing 2 weeks ago, however the benefits I feel doing this outweigh the high protein diets. I do undertstanding that you are under pressure and your trainer may be of the belief that having whey protein every 2/3 hours is the way to lose weight. However research suggests that a people may in fact be having too much protein in their diets (in relation to those who eat meat/dairy/chicken/fish/eggs). And, the fact that high protein diets are associated with certain cancers was the catalist for me in stopping.
Mushrooms are the vegans meat - so the legend goes. You can follow this diet, however structure it to eat 4-5 small meals a day pending on the amount of training you are doing. I know from talking to some of the people I do pilates with that for those who do this plus other training, they eat regularly to ensure that they are feeding their bodies.
anyway, hang in there.
Cheers - jan.
Jan R

Postby Melinda » Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:13 pm

Kyon, have you checked out some of the vegan bodybuilding websites? I think one of them is Robert Cheeke - anyone sure about that name? and don't forget about Brendon Brazier, a vegan ultra marathoner.
Melinda

Postby Steelhead » Tue Jun 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Kyon wrote:Daifuku, me and my cat Aiko would share those.

Just wanted to drop an update. I went back to kickboxing(was out sick and missed 3 classes), the trainer was wondering about the change. He asked if I had some pent up anger or something because I was hitting the bag like a champ. I think I am just feeling better and not grumpy from lack of energy/being hungry.

Excellent.
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Previous

Return to The Lounge