The Starch Solution - Full Video Presentation (free)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New Talk: The Starch Solution (free)

Postby pinkrose » Mon May 06, 2013 4:33 am

I would appreciate your "vote" for my most recent review:

http://www.amazon.com/It-Really-The-Car ... ewpoints=1
pinkrose

Postby pinkrose » Thu May 16, 2013 5:02 pm

I have posted another Amazon review and would appreciate your votes! :nod:

See

http://www.amazon.com/HIGH-PROTEIN-CARB ... 80011_f_69
pinkrose

Postby deardiananelson » Mon Jun 03, 2013 12:29 pm

Thanks, Dr. McDougall. I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate your work. My son, Nathan, is 27 years old, and we share a home/expenses. I always thought it would be easier if I could get him eating healthy so we would be on the same page. I do most of the cooking. He listened to many of my thoughts, watched FOK with me, read several different websites. But the thing that got him interested is all of your 2- 3 minute presentations online. He likes your style. It makes sense to him. So finally he's on-board. What a joy to me! A personal question- one of your messages online said, just find 5-6 favorite dishes and eat them over and over- that's what you and Mary do. We own three of your books Maximum Weight Loss[u] Quick and Easy, The Starch Solution[/u] . Nathan really likes the simplicity. He/we want to know which are your favorites that you and Mary eat all the time at home? Blessings, Friend.
deardiananelson

Postby jmejrmm » Fri Jun 14, 2013 5:20 pm

I watched a video about the mentors of Dr. McDougall and now watching the Starch solution.
jmejrmm

Postby theresaann » Thu Jun 27, 2013 1:37 pm

I love this video and I thank you for your contribution to humanity. You will come to be known as the giant of sound nutritional reason, I'm putting my money on it! A starch centered, low fat, plant based diet is without any doubt the true diet meant for human beings. The future will bear testimony to this fact.

"And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat." Genesis 1:29
theresaann

Postby eXtremE » Sun Aug 04, 2013 11:05 pm

jmejrmm wrote:I watched a video about the mentors of Dr. McDougall and now watching the Starch solution.
Yeah, I have seen the mentors video several times on youtube. It is a fascinating watch.
On 7/8/2013, I decided to change my diet to a "mostly" WFPB diet. I have always been somewhat lean and muscular due to being a lifelong exerciser. Change in diet due to feeling crummy all the time despite a healthy outward appearance. Image
eXtremE

Postby VeggieSue » Mon Aug 05, 2013 4:15 am

LynnCS wrote:Any chance of posting links? I would love to see them.

The link to the "mentors" one is right on the main site (http://www.drmcdougall.com), as are a number of other videos. Here's the "mentors" link:

http://drmcdougall.com/video/mcdougalls_mentors.htm
VeggieSue

Postby packrateric » Thu Aug 22, 2013 9:11 am

The good Doctor commented on saving the planet by avoiding animal sources of calories versus plant sources.
He also commented on excess use of jet fuel for fellow travelers that were obese.

Hmmmm.

Now if one is worried about the planet what choice does one make about jet travel. If you fly obese or not obese, either way you use a lot of fossil fuel and contribute to adverse environmental impact.

Of course a goat is an animal and it eats invasive weeds. It also makes goats milk which can feed people. I suspect the goat over all has a more environmental friendly impact than does the vacation use of jet planes.

food for thought :roll:
packrateric

Postby Lee Mack » Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:08 pm

It is good to hear an honest person stand up to the special interests and debunk some on the greatest of the Big Food Industry's advertising. I am surprised when I see someone with the economic courage to do that, and I thank you very much, Sir.

I thank you for this safe environment, where I may learn and practice the truth.
Lee Mack
Lee Mack

Postby RichardKirby1 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:37 am

Dr. McDougall,

Your work is so reasonable and valuable that I hesitate to differ with you on anything; but I must. The one area in which you are wrong, I believe, is in the area of supplements. I've heard you mock as a "ploy" certain arguments for taking supplements.
Your protests aren't convincing. Apparently you don't think soil can be so depleted that it doesn't deliver proper nutrients. Do you remember reading about the "goiter belt?" You don't take into account the loss of nutrients as produce is shipped from distant places, or the loss of nutrients from sitting in produce bins, or the fact that not everyone can afford fresh organic. You are such a good man, I hate to witness your sometimes dismissive, almost snide attitude towards those you disagree with. I was particularly distressed by your treatment of Dr. Adkins, though I understand your dismay at his harmful advice. But the proven efficacy of well-balance, mainly food-based, comprehensive multivitamins (we use Shaklee) is not in doubt. You can't erase the facts with a dismissive wave of the hand. Also, are you dismissing the work of Linus Pauling, Dr. Klenner, Dr. Levy, and others in curing many terrible conditions with vit. C.? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CUUZTNjV9 Many times supplements have saved lives. These disagreements in no way diminish my gratitude for your work. Blessings, RichardKirby1

Blessings, Richard
RichardKirby1

Postby michaelangelo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:43 am

Fantastic video full of useful facts.
Over the past four months a starch based diet has become an integral part of my life and I love it.
Thank you Dr McDougall.
michaelangelo

Postby mwalker » Sun Nov 16, 2014 2:28 pm

Very informative, thank you. Can't wait to refer to it to those I know that boast of the Paleo diet. :unibrow:
mwalker

Postby GeoffreyLevens » Mon Apr 06, 2015 10:00 am

Very much enjoyed watching this! Sent link to my sister to hopefully inspire her.

I do have one question though. In it Dr McDougall (hope he sees this to answer) references this study

http://www.hammarnejd.gr8.se/blog/gallery/1/biochemj01140-0284.pdf
THE VALUE OF WHOLE POTATO IN HUMAN NUTRITION'.
BY STANISLAW KAZIMIERZ KON AND ANIELA KLEIN. From theStateSchoolofHygiene, Warsaw, Poland.
(ReceivedDecember29th,1927.)

In the talk Dr. McDougall says they ate only potatoes, some spices and at the end a little oil as they needed more calories. But in the initial part of the write up there is this
The diet consisted of potatoes, supplemented with butter or pork fat with the addition of a few fruits (apples and pears); tea or black coffee and sugar were also occasionally taken. The amount of fat consumed was not accurately estimated, it varied from 120-150g. daily.
So they did eat some fruit as well as butter and lard! YIKES!!

Looking at CRONoMeter is seems that they averaged somewhere around 1500 grams of potatoes per day which would be around 1400 calories. The 120 grams (low end) of fat would be around 880 calories. That makes fat calories about 37% of total, quite high. If it was closer to the 150 grams fat, that is almost 1100 calories or nearly 42% fat. It does also say that they made a potato salad w/ oil but found the plain potatoes more palatable so went with that.

How can I interpret that? This does not all add up somehow in my mind.

Thank you
GeoffreyLevens

Postby Starchpower » Sun Jun 21, 2015 12:00 pm

Thank you Dr.Mcdougall , I am so thankful for all the information you have and telling us the truth. Since starting your program I've dropped 12 ibs (I was never overweight) ,but I am a athlete and it has improved my endurance,strength and overall health .
Starchpower

Postby mapat » Sun Jun 28, 2015 10:52 am

These videos are so inspiring! What impresses me most is how Dr. McDougall's knowledge comes through; He knows what he is talking about, and refers to the studies which support the things he says. Love his enthusiasm and his courage to stand up and just say 'that's wrong', and then explain the 'why' it is wrong. He is direct, honest, and he really cares. His books are great, but watch the videos too. You will be inspired also. Thank you Dr. McDougall, for sharing all this information with all of us.
mapat

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge