The Starch Solution - Full Video Presentation (free)

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: New Talk: The Starch Solution (free)

Postby carollynne » Mon Apr 23, 2012 8:16 am

I just watched this lecture with my oldest son, who is also a vegan low fat and a starchivore!! I had seen it before, and so the second time was even better, I loved it. my son asked me to make a batch of barely up so he can be like the gladiators and not to make up so much brown rice to compete with it in the meals. He really took it all in and we both thank you Dr McDougall for making it free for us to watch. Knowledge is there for us to absorb and since you make so available for us, we are basking in it all now... The joy of it all!
He also bought the book for us and it has just arrived.
We both love it!
I have lost about 60 lbs and never thought I'd be in the 150s ever again. cured my NAFLD!! Feel great!! Wt loss is so good for the knees and back, ankle, that I know I will never start back to the SAD way of eating again.
carollynne

Postby passionvegan » Sat Jun 02, 2012 10:10 am

Dr McDougall

Thanks so much for sharing this talk with us.

We need more doctors like you.

Lisa
passionvegan

Postby Moonfruit » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:12 am

It is insulting to NATURE to say that an "edible" man-refined product (refined with money in mind) is better for our health than any of her edible products, which she produces for us in abundance, for free. In fact, not only is it insulting, it is sheer idiotical arrogance.
Moonfruit

Postby lorhen » Sun Jul 29, 2012 11:25 pm

that talk was a real eye opener for me.. i will now throw away all my supplements. I had no idea that they could cause such imbalance in the body and possibly be toxic. You just hear so many different suggestions from different doctors, it is all so confusing at times. Wow thanks again Dr. M. You are very inspiring to listen to.
lorhen

Postby mountaingal » Thu Aug 30, 2012 10:18 am

Thankyou Dr. McDougall. I just got The Starch Solution Book a couple of weeks ago and now look forward to watching the video.
mountaingal

Postby CaptRob » Thu Aug 30, 2012 2:03 pm

I did it I think? This is my first try on this posting stuff. I just want to say that I think Doc Mc may have saved my life. I heard him on Coast to Coast and got The Starch Solution. AT 310 Lbs. I started on what I think of as a new life style. I would have thought I would have been the last person on the face of this earth to become a vegan. They must be a bunch of nutty Waco. I love eatin' creaters. I started on August first today is the 30th. I weight 299 Lbs. I think that's great. I thought I would be craving meat and I'm not! Thought I miss my eggs, bacon, cheese and deep frying everything I put in mouth. I am not on a diet that would end and I would weigh more then when I started. I have a new life style and I really like it. Thanks Doc
CaptRob

Postby Steelhead » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:09 pm

LynnCS wrote:Seems like I always struggle. I have learned a lot in the past year of trying to figure out how to do 'this thing.' By that I mean that I have been mostly raw vegan since a year ago July. Mostly because eventually it started to break down and I started adding back dairy and getting back into my compulsive/bingy behavior. My doctor recommends your diet and I bought your book from him about 9 wks ago. I am really disappointed in myself, and watched a couple of videos where you were speaking. I felt so resistant, but could see that you were making a lot of sense. I took off a lot of weight, but put on a lot of belly fat. No one could tell me definitively why this was happening. Everything I read tells me it is the fructose/high fruit content, stress hormones etc. I want more energy. I heard from the high fruit/juicers that it was the way, but my body just can't handle it. I got sugar spikes and hypoglycemic reactions and daily fatugue. Again I was told to eat a lot of fruit and juice fruit, greens, vegis. I love it but still didn't get the results I need. Finally, I am willing to cut back on the fruit and add starches. Today was the first day back on this way of eating and I feel too full. I know I haven't eaten too much, but am scared to eat this way. I have always considered myself food addicted. These are the forbidden foods. I fell really 'crazy' eating these foods. I will persist. Thank you for your book. I am finally reading it in more detail. I believe it may be the answer for me on so many levels. Just scared. Lynn

Even some raw fooders, Durian is one of my favorites, while keeping the faith vis-a-vis living on fruit, recommend The Starch Solution. Here's just one example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MOwSDXxEGic

Being a food addict myself I prefer Dr. McDougall's approach -- e.g., anecdotally, I can eat all the whole grain I want (oats, brown rice, whatever (sometimes a mix of 8 different grains (1/8th cup for each grain)) and still lose unwanted fat. It's incredible and counter-intuitive: how can I eat this much food, absolutely stuffing myself, and still lose inches around my abdomen? http://www.cbass.com/WGrains&AbdominalFat.htm
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby somereasoning » Fri Nov 09, 2012 6:47 pm

very interesting, I enjoyed watching that. We did some work in Western Europe around a concept called "easy kitchen". Complex menus are prepared in advance, portioned and quick chilled individually. The dishes are then reconstituted to order in combi ovens, takes only seconds.

Our proto type focused on more upscale menus, and the primary goal was labor cost savings. But it could be applied just as well to fast food concepts serving wholesome meals, there are plenty of commercial options with exciting starch based recipes.

The options provided by modern kitchen equipment, tools are not yet explored and utilized, today's fast food world is way behind and tied to an aging and inflexible infrastructure.
somereasoning

Postby monnarush » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:45 pm

He Everyone, I am new, I look forward to learning how to get healthy. I have tried many diets many many times and failed. The closest I came to success was the time was when I was on a diet that was getting close to the Starch based diet but I was still using butter and oil, and even some fried foods but no meat or dairy for over a year and lost 49.5 lbs, I also rode my bike every day after work. Now 7 years later I have regained it all and much more, I am also 50 years old now and over 300 lbs, my health is not allowing me to be very active and neithr is the job I have. It is very high stress and sedetary most of the time, not a good combination I know. I want to go back to what I know works but also what I can learn from Dr. McDougall. I want to take back my health and my life! Thanks for all the free info to help me get started. Sincerely, Monna in WV :)
monnarush

Postby pinkrose » Fri Dec 14, 2012 4:39 pm

Who will be the 100th reviewer of the book at the amazon.com site? :?: :-D

See

http://www.amazon.com/The-Starch-Soluti ... roduct_top
pinkrose

Postby Big Betty » Fri Dec 28, 2012 5:37 pm

Awesome lecture. Intuitively it makes total sense - I went on the Michael Thurmond diet and lost 20 lbs in a month but got major depression. The seratonic came back the moment I went to my comfort foods - starch (mashed potatoes). You are one awesome doc. Better than my doc who put me on Prozac which was a horrible experience going through withdrawel. Thank you!!!
Big Betty

Postby Big Betty » Mon Dec 31, 2012 11:36 am

Thank you so much. Hey when you get to making those mashed potatoes - I recommend boiling a bunch of red potatoes and dumping a jar of horseradish in them, then mashing by hand. (NO BUTTER, of course.)
Big Betty

Postby Dorje » Tue Feb 26, 2013 2:23 pm

I'm late to the party but I nevertheless wanted to add my sincere thanks and appreciation for this video. To think in terms of starch -- that really makes sense to me intellectually and when I'm in the grocery store.

I also appreciate the updated archaeological references a lot as it goes a long way to offer proof of our true "ancestral diets" instead of relying on wishful thinking based on the bare bones of 19th century archaeology. Being able to identify these microscopic starch grains is, I think, going to help revolutionize nutrition studies, if it hasn't already.

Being a starchivore means being civilized -- I think both those things are excellent!
Dorje

Postby Dorje » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:03 pm

Hi, LynnCS: thank you! I just meant by using the old expression "late to the party" that the last post in the thread until mine was in December of last year. :-) I totally agree (and celebrate) the fact that anytime anyone comes to being a starchivore is a really, really good thing.
Dorje

Postby joy4aub » Fri May 03, 2013 8:21 pm

I have never heard of a doctor as giving as you. Thank you so much for all you do. I know you have a crown in heaven. I am new to this but I know I will succeed because of your information that you give us.
I hope you live to be 100! Please hold off of that crown :D for awhile!
joy4aub

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge