Brendan Brazier

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Brendan Brazier

Postby Steelhead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:11 am

HealthyMe2010 wrote:
Katydid wrote:The information listed above is a bit sneaky. The vitamin E may be the equivalent of that found in 23 cups of spinach, but its just purified vitamin E that's been added to the powder. The Omega 3 comes from hemp protein and ground flaxseed not salmon, the chlorophyll from algae, etc. You can see just how processed VEGA really is by reading the ingredient list. Here is an example:

Chocolate flavor ingredients: Organic hemp protein (pesticide free), yellow pea protein (non-GMO), natural chocolate flavour, whole flax seed (micro-milled), organic brown rice protein (certified organic), fructo-oligosaccharides (FOS), ChlorEssence (high CGF chlorella), MacaSure (certified organic gelatinized maca), potassium phosphate, xanthan gum, calcium phosphate, digestive enzyme blend, magnesium HVP chelate, stevia leaf, ORAC 800+ mixed berry complex (wild blueberry, blueberry, black raspberry, luo han gao fruit extract, cranberry juice extract, grapefruit juice extract, marion berry, boysenberry, blackberry, grape extract), sodium chloride, probiotic blend (L.acidophilus/B.bifidum), iron HVP chelate, zinc HVP chelate, vitamin C (ascorbic acid), molybdenum HVP chelate, manganese HVP chelate, vitamin B3 (niacin), vitamin E (d-alpha tocopheryl acetate), copper HVP chelate, potassium iodide, biotin, vitamin A (palmitate), selenium HVP chelate, calcium D-pantothenate, vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol), chromium HVP chelate, vitamin B6 (pyridoxine hydrochloride), vitamin B2 (riboflavin), vitamin B1 (thiamine hydrochloride), folic acid, vitamin B12 (cyanocobalamin).

Hardly a unprocessed raw food green smoothie. Not necessarily bad, but its made in a lab not in a kitchen.

Kate

Hi Kate, where did you get that ingredient list?

I'm looking at my container of Vega and apart from the whole foods they list, the only "extras" are xanthan gum, flavour and stevia :shock:

I'm also in Canada and I know that products in the US are often fortified artificially (your cereals have way more "stuff" in it compared to the same cereal we have here). Maybe that's why all the synthetic stuff is shown in that ingredient list?

edit: I'm convinced the list you have provided isn't from Vega. There's no place on their site that lists anything other than whole foods in their product and other websites concur.

I tossed my last empty bottle of Vega, but the ingredient list looks familiar. Anyway, here is a link with the ingredients that shows it really is one big vitamin pill plus some protein from hemp, peas, brown rice, and flax seed -- I actually contacted Vega last year and got a break down of the amino acid profile, but the company did not have it for each product, and sent me a breakdown I had to use that their protein supplier had sent them. I have found that I can get all my vitamins and minerals from eating whole, plant based foods so I don't need the synthetic vitamins in Vega. http://myvega.com/sites/myvega.com/file ... 073-US.pdf
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 6:03 am

Steelhead wrote:I tossed my last empty bottle of Vega, but the ingredient list looks familiar. Anyway, here is a link with the ingredients that shows it really is one big vitamin pill plus some protein from hemp, peas, brown rice, and flax seed -- I actually contacted Vega last year and got a break down of the amino acid profile, but the company did not have it for each product, and sent me a breakdown I had to use that their protein supplier had sent them. I have found that I can get all my vitamins and minerals from eating whole, plant based foods so I don't need the synthetic vitamins in Vega. http://myvega.com/sites/myvega.com/file ... 073-US.pdf

I don't get it. Aren't the vitamins and minerals listed on the label from the ingredients they list on the right side (the whole foods)?

When I look at a can of beans and see iron listed as a nutrient, but not an ingredient, I assume it's from the bean itself.

I would feel very uncomfortable if Vega added all those vitamins and minerals into their product. They would certainly lose me as a customer. :angry:
HealthyMe2010

Postby Steelhead » Fri Jul 16, 2010 11:01 am

HealthyMe2010 wrote:
Steelhead wrote:I tossed my last empty bottle of Vega, but the ingredient list looks familiar. Anyway, here is a link with the ingredients that shows it really is one big vitamin pill plus some protein from hemp, peas, brown rice, and flax seed -- I actually contacted Vega last year and got a break down of the amino acid profile, but the company did not have it for each product, and sent me a breakdown I had to use that their protein supplier had sent them. I have found that I can get all my vitamins and minerals from eating whole, plant based foods so I don't need the synthetic vitamins in Vega. http://myvega.com/sites/myvega.com/file ... 073-US.pdf

I don't get it. Aren't the vitamins and minerals listed on the label from the ingredients they list on the right side (the whole foods)?

When I look at a can of beans and see iron listed as a nutrient, but not an ingredient, I assume it's from the bean itself.

I would feel very uncomfortable if Vega added all those vitamins and minerals into their product. They would certainly lose me as a customer. :angry:

No. In Vega for example Vit A is retinyl palmitate; in beans it would be beta-carotene (in fish it would be retinol); Vitamin D is ergocalciferol which is not the same Vit D added to milk or found in salmon. If you go down the list of Vitamins and minerals you can read the chemicals used. For example, Iodine is potassium iodide; magnesium is a citrate as is zinc, etc. Even the fiber is from FOS which is added. In the ingredients list on the right side these are not where the vitamins and minerals come from -- the mixed berry complex for example is 200 mg -- I eat 454,000 mg of berries (454 gms) each day.

In whole foods, the vitamins and minerals are not added; what you read is from the food. In Vega, the vitamins and minerals are added, and the label shows exactly which chemical forms are added (Vit K as phytonadione). We really don't need to drink a vitamin pill with lots of extracted protein -- as a weight lifter, this has taken me a long, long time to accept.
No matter what genes we inherit, changes in diet can affect DNA expression at a genetic level." Michael Greger M.D.

Certificate in Plant-Based Nutrition - eCornell & T. Colin Campbell Foundation.
Steelhead

Postby HealthyMe2010 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:04 pm

Steelhead wrote:No. In Vega for example Vit A is retinyl palmitate; in beans it would be beta-carotene (in fish it would be retinol); Vitamin D is ergocalciferol which is not the same Vit D added to milk or found in salmon. If you go down the list of Vitamins and minerals you can read the chemicals used. For example, Iodine is potassium iodide; magnesium is a citrate as is zinc, etc. Even the fiber is from FOS which is added. In the ingredients list on the right side these are not where the vitamins and minerals come from -- the mixed berry complex for example is 200 mg -- I eat 454,000 mg of berries (454 gms) each day.

In whole foods, the vitamins and minerals are not added; what you read is from the food. In Vega, the vitamins and minerals are added, and the label shows exactly which chemical forms are added (Vit K as phytonadione). We really don't need to drink a vitamin pill with lots of extracted protein -- as a weight lifter, this has taken me a long, long time to accept.

Once I'm done my bottle of Vega, I'll be done with their products. I try to avoid synthetic supplement whenever I can, and it wouldn't make sense for me to eat 40+ synthetic vitamins from this product.

"If it sounds too good to be true..."
HealthyMe2010

Previous

Return to The Lounge