Post for men

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Post for men

Postby Glenn50 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:43 pm

The main reason I want to get off all my BP medications is libido problems. Hopefully it will happen with this WOE.
Glenn50

Re: McDonalds...

Postby Ron 43 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:12 pm

f1jim wrote:I actually have no "beef" with McDonalds. Even if they were on every streetcorner. If no one went in and bought anything they would fold up or serve something different. I refuse to blame them for my choices. The market gives us what we ask for. So I would probably not hand out flyers in front of their business regardless. I have no love lost for McDonalds, Burger King, etc, but I am my own worst enemy.
f1jim

Correct.
Ron 43

Re: Okay - warning - very graphic

Postby Ron 43 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 6:14 pm

seestorcoo wrote:Let it be known that this is a fat woman - well over 200 lbs - answering this post and there is absolutely no judgment here - only bluntness.

Well, lets see - the mechanism that causes an erection is increased blood flow to the penis. If you have clogged arteries, they don't just clog in your heart or head - they clog everywhere (hence, "peripheral vascular disease"). This means that blood flow doesn't get to the places that need it. So, if the blood vessels (arteries) in your penis are clogged because you ate too many manly steaks, that means when you need those arteries to be full to pleasure that wench (er, or whatever), they can't get full - resulting in (at the very least) a "softy" or at the worst, complete impotence. I really think if more men knew this, they would put down that steak and pick up a portabello.

As for the rest of the anatomy down there - the bigger you are, the bigger your scrotum tends to be and the smaller the penis becomes in comparison - and then when you add in the scrotal edema that comes with the disease processes of the obese, you often end up with a negative number. I've had countless patients (most of them very obese) with scrotums so large that they have to carry them around in a sling. In fact, its so common that manufacturers actually make scrotal slings (not that my hospital will spring for them.) Now, the obesity itself does not cause this but obesity causes other disease processes that can lead to this. There are also accompanying issues with cleanliness as its somewhat difficult to wedge a urinal (if you are in the hospital) far enough into the scrotum to have a um, clean catch.

If you've read this far without fainting, let me reassure you that what I see is the end stage of obesity - guys so big that they can't take care of themselves (or won't). And guys aren't the only ones that have problems like this - I've known many big gals that can't wipe their own butt because they can't reach it. It happens and its not fun and its not pleasant and its not worth that SAD food.

You'd think this would keep me at 100%, wouldn't you?

The power of denial...

Thanks much for posting. I see very little about men's health on the internet. It seems that all we hear is about women's health.
Ron 43

Postby didi » Sun Feb 05, 2012 5:54 am

In a video on Esselstyn's web site he says that in a few short weeks on a plant based diet, although that is not enough time to reverse heart disease, people have less angina and also, see improvements as far as erectile dysfunction is concerned because the diet heals the endothelial cells and allows them to produce nitric oxide which expands the arteries.

There is a bbc program investigating diet in which in one experiment seven men with ED eat four cloves of raw garlic per day. They took ultra sounds of blood flow through the penis both before and after the experiment which lasted about three months I think. Six of the men improved to the point of functioning normally. You could see the improved blood flow in the man for whom the garlic worked. One man who had ED for 10 years did not improve,but wants to continue with the garlic because it helped the other six men. Only two of the men allowed themselves to be filmed. The irony of this was that they chose, in the meal that was filmed, to put the garlic cloves on a big thick, juicy, fatty steak.

Didi
didi

Postby byekoa » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Thanks for your response....very helpful. Do you remember if this was raw garlic....wondering if the minced in a jar (non dried) would work? if you roast it - it becomes creamy and sweet even and spreadable on its own.

I remember in the F/K movie - the urologist talking and the asian man about "rising the flag". :) It surely makes sense that any vascular insufficiency is going to be experienced throughout the body to some degree. I will do some searching on the bbc - again appreciate your time.
byekoa
byekoa

Postby nordgirl » Mon Feb 06, 2012 6:12 am

Hello gentlemen,
this is a lady speaking, I hope you don't mind but I do have some info to share with you. Since my husband lost 30 pounds and stabilized his blood sugar his libido has definitely increased. It was always good for a man of his age (49) but now he's happy to do it 2x a day, not that I allow that all the time :D so let me confirm that yes, there is a definite correlation between losing weight on the McDougall diet and libido. Not a very scientific experiment, but for what it's worth that's my experience.
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby stoumi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:39 am

I haven't experienced much change since dropping 28 pounds. Maybe I figured the results would be more pronounced, but as of now (3 months) things are unchanged. The libido has never really been a problem, but after reading and hearing a complications a man could struggle with due to decreased blood flow through out the body I saw this as another reason to change my eating habits and get healthy. Maybe it will take a bit longer, I don't know.
stoumi

Postby didi » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:11 am

Here is the link to a Documentary Storm video called the truth about food. About 27 minutes into the video is the information about garlic. It is raw garlic. They do not mention it but when you chop up raw garlic you should let it sit for about 8 minutes after chopping to get the most benefit.

http://documentarystorm.com/the-truth-about-food/

Didi
didi

Postby chrisv » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:24 pm

chrisv

Postby byekoa » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:24 pm

Thanks everyone that really helps! I looked at both videos and am going to try the experiment for my guy. It's just getting it into him....maybe whizzed with a little lemon/parsley - raw. Wasn't it gross on that slab of meat ....bluck! good to know we are plant based x 8 months...not overweight and on no meds because none of our labs or b/p are abnormal at all....even low actually. I really appreciate this group and the support.
I'll keep you informed for sure!
byekoa

Postby nordgirl » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:03 am

Steve, my husband's positive results may also be explained that he is only 5 lbs away from his target weight - it won't take long to reach that since I just figured out that we're not supposed to be eating any oil on the diet :oops: I don't know how much weight you're trying to lose, but that could also be a factor.
My type 2 diabetic husband and I have lost a total of 65 pounds thanks to Dr. McDougall. I'm cooking for a household of 7 McDougallers, and enjoying good health and a renewed sense of well being.
- Lisa P.
nordgirl

Postby Ken W » Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:20 am

Here is the clip someone referenced from Forks Over Knives, and it's not just us guys "raising the flag," Dr. Ruth (Heidrich) talks about how plant based eating helps women too. It's a win win!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4ECnqXQpDA

Ken
Ken W

Previous

Return to The Lounge