Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

Postby Clary » Tue May 03, 2011 10:39 am

ncyg46 wrote:Clary...did you make it thru okay?

I have never been so scared or felt so helpless. :shock: I am not ashamed to confess that I am still getting my emotional balance back. The second day following the days of tornados, every arthritis symptom I ever had anywhere, and 10X as bad, manifested all over my body, from the stress. Keeping 100% McDougall, and forcing myself to relax and rest, is reversing the symptoms again.

All of my family locally escaped any physical harm. Many of our friends, and my daughters step-family in nearby AL communities are ok physically, but have been without all public untilities, and every single store, business, school, govt. office--everything, were in most cases shut down until yesterday, as they are slowly recovering power, etc.
Thank you for asking.

---
The south looks like total devastation.

There are no words to aptly describe what has happened to people, places and things, or how horrible the damage and loss...
---
I can't even imagine what people are dealing with. During that year with 4 hurricanes, we had no electric for 5 days the first time but the problem was keeping the generator with gas since none of the stations could pump any...and you couldn't buy a gas container anywhere. We went door to door looking for any lawnmower gas that didn't have oil in it! We ran the generator for 4 families to keep their food cold...a half hour at a time!
Very similar here, multiplied a "million-fold". 160 tornados passed through our community alone, starting at 5 am and lasting through 8 pm. In the wider-states area, there were 312 tornados in the 24 hr period of active tornados.
---
Reminds me to go thru my dehydrated foods for our upcoming trip to Monument Valley. May be living on those for the week. :D
Have fun. Be safe. :)
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby ncyg46 » Tue May 03, 2011 11:54 am

Believe me, I know how much worse it is, our stuff was minor compared to what happened with all those tornados. I am literally scared to death of them which is why we live out west.

One time we had to drive to Anniston, Alabama to get an old family bible for Ed's sister. The tornado sirens went off and I asked what that was and the lady said, oh that's just the tornado sirens and just sat there asking Ed if he knew this person or that one in the family photos. About went crazy, asked the man there to put the weather channel on and just said he doesn't get it. We hightailed it out of there since our dog was in our camper about 19 miles away. Lightning was striking the side of the road and boy was I happy to get out of there!
Rest and get your stuff back in happy mood, although I know it is hard!

Hugs to you! :D
ncyg46

Postby Clary » Tue May 03, 2011 12:10 pm

ncyg46 wrote:Believe me, I know how much worse it is, our stuff was minor compared to what happened with all those tornados. I am literally scared to death of them which is why we live out west.

One time we had to drive to Anniston, Alabama to get an old family bible for Ed's sister. The tornado sirens went off and I asked what that was and the lady said, oh that's just the tornado sirens and just sat there asking Ed if he knew this person or that one in the family photos. About went crazy, asked the man there to put the weather channel on and just said he doesn't get it. We hightailed it out of there since our dog was in our camper about 19 miles away. Lightning was striking the side of the road and boy was I happy to get out of there!
Rest and get your stuff back in happy mood, although I know it is hard!

Hugs to you! :D

A friend of mine, who lives about 20 miles south of me, and was w/o power, utilites, phone, TV, and then even her radio went down when the batteries ran out, no trash pick-up, etc. --posted this on Facebook a few minutes ago:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lw1X0KI9JRg&sns=fb

An announcement just made on the radio: The National Guard is called out to areas in AL where looting and "worse" has begun. Curfews being extended.
Clary

Postby ncyg46 » Tue May 03, 2011 12:22 pm

wow...watched that, it looks unreal. :( Praying for all those there.
ncyg46

Postby somnolent » Tue May 03, 2011 8:27 pm

Clary, thank God you and your family are okay.
somnolent

Postby Clary » Wed May 04, 2011 6:46 am

ncyg46 wrote:wow...watched that, it looks unreal. :( Praying for all those there.

. We live in a "sound bite" world, that has already moved on to the next big story, and the people recovering from loss of homes, deaths of loved ones, injuries, for some their entire communities wiped out--totally flattened, and all that must be faced, are soon forgotten, even tho' for some it will years, if ever, before restoration of physical property can be achieved.
Your prayers are so welcomed. Thank you.
Clary

Postby Clary » Wed May 04, 2011 6:48 am

somnolent wrote:Clary, thank God you and your family are okay.

How kind of you. Thank you.
Clary

Postby Clary » Wed May 04, 2011 6:50 am

The City of San Francisco created a well-organized, highly useful, fact-filled PREPAREDNESS website. It is excellent. :!: Most of the information can be used by any of us in any location. Check out the “Go Bag” button, and the “Water” button, and the “Food” button, and….. :) Check it out here:
http://72hours.org/index.html
Clary

Postby Chile » Wed May 04, 2011 8:10 am

Clary, I'm relieved to hear you and yours are okay after that huge storm. Please stay safe and give yourself time to recover emotionally.
Chile

Postby Clary » Wed May 04, 2011 9:04 am

Chile wrote:Clary, I'm relieved to hear you and yours are okay after that huge storm. Please stay safe and give yourself time to recover emotionally.

Thank you, Chile. I still find myself holding my breath from time to time during the day, then I check out what I was remembering, and force myself to do deep breathing and productive self talk. I am usually among the most un-flabbable in a situation, but this one did get to me emotionally. :shock:
Clary

Postby Clary » Fri May 06, 2011 11:28 am

OPEN IT UP, TRY IT OUT, ROTATE IT
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/20 ... t-out.html

"When you get new things for your 72-hour kits, or for anything relating to food storage/emergency preparedness, open it up and try it out before the emergency occurs! Emergencies are stressful; don't add the stress of having to learn a new concept/skill on top of that."
Notice the comments, also. Good info.
Clary

Postby Clary » Thu May 26, 2011 8:54 am

I'm at the public library. My computer is down and I came here to check my messages. We had another tornado in my little town last night. Because of the horrific events in Joplin, MO and in OK, this "small "tornado goes unreported.

This was the first message I opened today, and I wanted to pass it along. It is from an LDS "Safely Gathered In" blog, I subscrbe to:

How Can You Help?
Posted: 25 May 2011 09:00 AM PDT

"Today I want to talk about how you can help people who are suffering right now.

"In light of recent events (tornadoes in the Midwest, and in the South last month), you may be wondering what you can do to help. There are many charities to choose from when it comes to donating money, but let me make a suggestion: The LDS (Mormon) Church. It probably seems obvious that I would suggest this, because as you know we are Mormons, and many of you are, too. Most of our Monday motivational thoughts come from Mormon people, too. However, I'm not just suggesting that you donate to the Church because we are members of it.

"The LDS Church has always been my charity of choice because 100% of my donation goes to people in need."
---
ENTIRE ARTICLE HERE:
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/20 ... -help.html
Clary

Postby AnnaS » Thu May 26, 2011 10:15 am

Hi, Clary--
I just wanted to say that I don't think anyone can possibly grasp this kind of devastation until they've seen it themselves. I have some sense of how long it will take to get things back to 'normal'--a long, long time. Years. We had a small town of 300 homes completely demolished by an F4-F5 tornado a few years ago--this is only ten miles from my home.

The first responders on the ground that night? Mennonites. They arrived DURING THE STORM with supplies, personnel, a bus to take people to shelter, and cash to help people get through the next few days (motel bills, etc.) It still brings tears to my eyes to think of this.

It took volunteer efforts and donations from the nearby city and around the state, plus FEMA's help, to put this town back on the map. What if that city had been hit, too?? With widespread devastation such as we're seeing this year the task is beyond imagining.
on the McD program since 2002: age=65, BMI=18, b/p=110/70, tc=126, McD=100%.
diagnosed with lyme disease March 2010

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AnnaS

Postby blondie » Thu May 26, 2011 1:03 pm

Look at this 360 degree picture of the area hardest hit by the tornado in Joplin. :crybaby:
http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A ... in&h=d9dee
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w/]
[/url]
[url=http://www.tickerfactory.com/weight-loss/wjVo52w]My Weight Chart:
Image[/url]>
311 all-time highest weight. Began McDougall plan at 300 lb. on 2/9/2011.
blondie

Postby Clary » Wed Jun 08, 2011 8:58 am

“Has the Time for Preparation Passed?” --By Carolyn Nicolaysen

"Are you prepared to remain out of your home for a month or more? Are you prepared to be without grocery and pharmacy supplies for weeks? This is already the case in some areas. Do you really still believe natural disasters can't happen to you?…Don't make the mistake of thinking this won't affect you. It will. Don't make the mistake of thinking it can wait and looking back months from now and wishing you had taken action when prices were lower...."

Complete article here:
http://ldsmag.com/church/article/8143?ac=1
Clary

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge