Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

Postby Clary » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:14 am

noelalexis2000 wrote:Thanks Clary for all your wonderful ideas and links. Very motivating. :-)

You are very welcome. Because I have been involved in "Preparedness" for decades, this has been my special "Pay it Forward" that I felt I could contribute to this Board and the people here who have added so much good to my life in so many ways for so many years :!: --starting back in the days when we were still at the VegSource website.

I'm grateful to so many here for so much! :nod:
Clary
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby Chile » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:39 am

Clary, you asked about preparedness stories. As you probably know from my blog, we started our prepping for emergencies after Katrina. It finally got through to us that we needed to actually take the time to set up emergency supplies rather than just talk about it. Since then, I've posted about the wisdom of knowing basic first aid, having a first aid kit, and storing water and food per the CDC's and FEMA's guidelines (2-3 weeks' worth). Also important to consider, of course, is how one will get through an emergency without power. I've posted about that, too - the weekend where we shut off our water, gas, and electricity (except fridge) to see how good our preps were.

We got more of a real-life test a month ago here. After a record freeze in the Tucson area, I went outside to find a broken pipe. The only way to get it to stop gushing water was to shut off all water to our property. (We're on a community well where each property has its own valve.) Normally my sweetie could fix this easily but in this instance, he was quite sick with a severe cold and having to work overtime due to freeze-related problems at work. He didn't get home that first night until 10 pm and had to go in the next day, too.

It was a good thing we were prepared because I also did not have the option to go out to get water or food because our vehicle had sprung a serious oil leak. I was starting to get sick, too, so walking or biking the 2 1/2 miles to the store wasn't an option in the cold.

We did just fine with the water off for 48 hours. I had clean water stored in the 5-gallon jugs we'd used in town for bottled water, so that was used for drinking and food prep. I didn't cook as many fresh veggies in order to minimize the amount of washing needed, but was able to feed us good meals made with dehydrated potatoes and vegetables. Unlike some people in town, we still had our gas so I could cook on the stove. If we'd lost gas, too, I would have used my solar oven and propane camp stove.

We still have an old camping portapottie, so I filled that tank up with water to use instead of the toilet. Considerable reading on humanure and the use of urine as a fertilizer led me to choose to keep solids in the portapottie for later disposal in our septic system but use a bucket lined with sawdust for urination. After each use, peat moss was sprinkled in as a cover. In emergency situations like this, I felt fine doing this and then adding the contents of the pee bucket to our compost pile. (Our compost doesn't sit long enough, though, for the solids to safely break down - hence the portapottie.) Since I use cloth wipes for #1, there was no TP used in the bucket, although TP did clog up the darn portapottie.

For washing our hands, we kept a bowl of water with a splash of bleach in it in each bathroom sink, as well as a pump container of the alcohol gel sanitizer nearby. For body cleansing, we heated a pan of water on the stove for a spit bath.

We ate fine, stayed hydrated and clean, and took care of our dogs with a total of 8 gallons of water over 48 hours. We had more water available than that but I was proud that we managed to get by with such conservative use of our supplies. Thankfully, hubby got well enough to repair the pipe over the weekend.

The broken pipe was the one place we weren't prepared. When it first broke, the vehicle didn't have the oil leak yet and I got to the hardware store before they sold out of repair parts. After we'd recovered and fixed the vehicle, we went back to the hardware store and bought a few spare pipe parts in case this happens again...and increased the insulation on the repaired pipes.
Chile

Postby Clary » Sat Mar 19, 2011 7:25 am

Chile wrote:Clary, you asked about preparedness stories. As you probably know from my blog, we started our prepping for emergencies after Katrina. It finally got through to us that we needed to actually take the time to set up emergency supplies rather than just talk about it. Since then, I've posted about the wisdom of knowing basic first aid, having a first aid kit, and storing water and food per the CDC's and FEMA's guidelines (2-3 weeks' worth). Also important to consider, of course, is how one will get through an emergency without power. I've posted about that, too - the weekend where we shut off our water, gas, and electricity (except fridge) to see how good our preps were.

We got more of a real-life test a month ago here. After a record freeze in the Tucson area, I went outside to find a broken pipe. The only way to get it to stop gushing water was to shut off all water to our property. (We're on a community well where each property has its own valve.) Normally my sweetie could fix this easily but in this instance, he was quite sick with a severe cold and having to work overtime due to freeze-related problems at work. He didn't get home that first night until 10 pm and had to go in the next day, too.

It was a good thing we were prepared because I also did not have the option to go out to get water or food because our vehicle had sprung a serious oil leak. I was starting to get sick, too, so walking or biking the 2 1/2 miles to the store wasn't an option in the cold.

We did just fine with the water off for 48 hours. I had clean water stored in the 5-gallon jugs we'd used in town for bottled water, so that was used for drinking and food prep. I didn't cook as many fresh veggies in order to minimize the amount of washing needed, but was able to feed us good meals made with dehydrated potatoes and vegetables. Unlike some people in town, we still had our gas so I could cook on the stove. If we'd lost gas, too, I would have used my solar oven and propane camp stove.

We still have an old camping portapottie, so I filled that tank up with water to use instead of the toilet. Considerable reading on humanure and the use of urine as a fertilizer led me to choose to keep solids in the portapottie for later disposal in our septic system but use a bucket lined with sawdust for urination. After each use, peat moss was sprinkled in as a cover. In emergency situations like this, I felt fine doing this and then adding the contents of the pee bucket to our compost pile. (Our compost doesn't sit long enough, though, for the solids to safely break down - hence the portapottie.) Since I use cloth wipes for #1, there was no TP used in the bucket, although TP did clog up the darn portapottie.

For washing our hands, we kept a bowl of water with a splash of bleach in it in each bathroom sink, as well as a pump container of the alcohol gel sanitizer nearby. For body cleansing, we heated a pan of water on the stove for a spit bath.

We ate fine, stayed hydrated and clean, and took care of our dogs with a total of 8 gallons of water over 48 hours. We had more water available than that but I was proud that we managed to get by with such conservative use of our supplies. Thankfully, hubby got well enough to repair the pipe over the weekend.

The broken pipe was the one place we weren't prepared. When it first broke, the vehicle didn't have the oil leak yet and I got to the hardware store before they sold out of repair parts. After we'd recovered and fixed the vehicle, we went back to the hardware store and bought a few spare pipe parts in case this happens again...and increased the insulation on the repaired pipes.

Chile, I am so glad you shared this REAL LIFE preparedness story here, with us. I do remember when you purposely tested your supplies and your selves during that “intentional challenge” weekend.

You and your husband are now not only better prepared, but even more experienced! You dealt with several “preparedness” issues successfully during this latest 2 day “event” and cared for your dog, too—even when both of you weren’t felling well.. Must be satisfying. Makes me think of the newest preparedness motto I’ve read and like “BE PREPARED, NOT SCARED.”

I was esp. interested to read about the 8 gallons of water used over the 48 hours. Many of the government and preparedness groups suggest storing one gallon of water per person per day. Even the Red Cross was still suggesting only one gal. per person per day, last time I checked. I have always thought that to be too little. You obviously were alert and careful about your water, and still used twice their “recommended” amt. to store. Very good lesson. :nod:

I also took from your experience you shared, that our “emergency” doesn’t have to be catastrophic or extremely long lasting to throw us off balance and onto/into our prepared resources and planned routines.

When I read that the broken pipe was the "one place" you weren’t prepared, I thought, WOW, how fortunate to learn about that NOW, rather then when you are perhaps involved in a much more stressful or difficult situation.

Thank you very much for telling your Preparedness story. :) You truly were prepared!
Clary
Clary

Postby Sel » Sat Mar 19, 2011 12:07 pm

Clary, Nettie
Thanks for the links and book title.
Kind regards
Sel
Sel

Postby Clary » Sun Mar 20, 2011 9:27 am

Sel wrote:Clary, Nettie
Thanks for the links and book title.
Kind regards
Sel

I hope you will share your progress with us. :nod:
Clary

Postby Clary » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:00 am

Friday, I sent this out as an email to my adult children and other family members, and some friends --all of with whom I share preparedness information, and they with me. The email was a collection of "bits and pieces" of information and ideas on my mind that morning, in no particular order:
_________________-
Morning Thoughts for you, FYI---with love :) . Please take anything from this that you can use, and just leave the rest! --and I am not taking the time to edit, so please be forgiving!
-----------------------------
Mentioning this book again...
"WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE--Stuff you need to survive when disaster strikes," by Cody Lundin. This book is designed and written specifically for " the urban/suburban, thinking person’s guide to survival, focusing on self-reliance...
http://www.codylundin.com/Loose.html

--the BEST "Preparedness" book of all I have ever read--and I have been involved with this subject of home storage and emergency preparedness at one level or another for decades!! The more of this book I read, the more I learn.

I wish the author would recommend specific products by brand name like so many other authors do, but so far I don't find that he has done so.

For example, he recommends having the very best quality manual wheat grinder one can afford. I have a small $49.00 table-mounted grinder. I know there are many better ones to choose from, but I don't know how to evaluate them yet. I've always used, and still own, an electric grinder--which won't do a bit of good if the utilities go down--like so many people have experienced the past couple years.

The book is 450 pp. long--I'm still studying it. --many colored photos, tho', of items he uses and talks about in the book... A Dutch Oven is on my list now--one with three or four metal legs and a lid with a rim around its circumference (to hold hot coals). A Dutch Oven so designed allows for easy distribution of hot coals under AND on top of the oven for heat to evenly penetrate and cook the meal inside. (conserving fuel).

Cody Lundin also wrote "98.6 DEGREES: THE ART OF KEEPING YOUR ASS ALIVE!
--a book specifically about OUTDOOR SURVIVAL http://www.codylundin.com/degrees.html

His website:
http://www.codylundin.com/

Both books are available at reduced prices at Amazon, and usually at http://www.half.com

Some ideas of incidental things to store which you can get or order today:
~Heavy duty Aluminum foil.
~All sizes of plastic bags. --big heavy ones, down to small sandwich bags and everything in between, including heavyweight freezer storage bags to be used for a variety of storing and packing purposes.
~Paper plates, cups, and towels. (Great when there is no water. Can be burned.)
~A large supply of duct tape.
~The most basic food--like wheat, rice, beans. --and eat from it, and rotate it, get used to it.

Brown rice and wheat and beans can also be sprouted, and wheat grass can be grown from the wheat berries. Rice "Milk" can easily be made from the rice as long as one can use a blender. I've never thought of making "Wheat Milk" but the idea entered my mind yesterday! I think I will try it.

One of the books I read and trust suggests: All grain is good for the food of man, and for mild drinks; ...as also is the fruit of the vine good for man; and that which yieldeth fruit, whether in the ground or about the ground. I most always have a bottle of homemade rice milk in my refrigerator--and use it in cooking, baking, etc. in place of cow's milk (which I believe is for baby cows! )

~Water--stored for hygiene, drinking, cooking, flushing, etc.
~Batteries.
~Manual can opener and manual bottle opener. (I have three Swing-A-Way can openers--using one, two for back-up.) What worse scenario than having a long-term supply of canned food, needing it, and having no access to a can opener!
~Matches and other ways to start a fire. (several other ways, preferred)
~Charcoal--and a safe way to use it to cook or heat with (not inside), if necessary. (Fifteen 20 lb. bags of charcoal can be enough to prepare 1 hot meal a day (or a "warming” fire) for ONE YEAR. --another good use for those sealed buckets. Transfer the bags of charcoal still in their paper bag, into a bucket and put the lid on it, for long term storage.) --for a year’s supply storage of charcoal, a mylar bag inside the bucket could be added for additional protection against moisture.
~Disinfectant.
~A month's supply of toilet paper (and keep adding to it.) In Cody’s book are several suggestions for “wiping” with substitutes—not all common, for sure!!!
~and Greens. Eat green. Small scale “greens growing” in our own kitchens is easy to learn.

This week, I have been, as usual, growing, eating, and refrigerating sprouts. --This week's crop: "zesty sprouts" (--a mix of Clover seeds, Alfalfa seeds, Fenugreek seeds, and radish seeds--great for salads and sandwiches and for topping most anything!); alfalfa sprouts; fenugreek sprouts; and sprouted French green lentils. I usually forget that they suddenly grow so much faster in the Spring. –so, I had several jars come ready almost all at once, instead of one jar ready each day, as I planned!!

Great website for learning about sprouting:
http://www.SproutPeople.com (The website is in transition to http://www.SproutPeople.org )

My favorite sprouting book from over the years, and the one I refer to the most is: SPROUT GARDEN, by Mark M. Braunstein. I upgraded to his 1999 edition, from the 1993 edition, and haven't checked since then to know if there is a more recent version. --contains an excellent CHART for over 40 kinds of seeds, beans, grains, .--suggesting the best method of sprouting (jar, tube, bag, towel, saucer, soil, tray, etc.) for each item to be sprouted, how much to use, the soak hours, rinses per day, which to "green" up on the last day, and some suggested uses for each sprout, etc. The chart is very simple to use. Recipes. Info on the various sprouts/seeds/beans/grains. Great photos and sprouting instructions. Really good book to have on hand for anyone who sprouts or wants to.

Some of the seeds I sprouted this week, I've had in the refrigerator in their original bags (some previously opened, some not, for over two years, and the crop is great!) When I can get them, I prefer the "Now" brand seeds. They are usually much cheaper than others, and they have always provided great crops.

Emergency Essentials website has their 5 and 6 gallon buckets on sale this month (March). --as well as NON-HYBRID, HEIRLOOM garden seeds packaged for long-term storage (up to 4 years), and SPROUTING seeds packed for long term storage. EE’s website address is: http://www.BePrepared.com

If you should choose to read Cody's book, the importance of several extra buckets, with and w/o lids, becomes clear. For long-term food storage, I prefer the "Gamma Seal" lids--also available at BePrepared.com . The gamma seals are easier to open and close. For storing other items in buckets, the traditional lids, with gaskets, provide good long-term waterproof storage. (All buckets, cans, water containers; boxes, etc. should NOT be stored directly on a cement floor or against a cement wall.)

--and lastly for today, NEWS ALERT, for those who might be interested in having the POTASSIUM IODIDE tabs stored, and cannot locate any ANYWHERE since the radiation scare from Japan….
Amazon website is taking pre-orders, that they will fill when they are re-supplied with the “Life Extension” Brand Potassium Iodide Tablets AT THE SAME PRICE THEY WERE BEFORE THE “EMERGENCY” ORDERING WIPED OUT SUPPLIES ALL AROUND THE COUNTRY. 14 Count (Pack of 2)--$8.90. Many Other suppliers all around the country have hiked prices outrageously because of “supply and demand”.

FROM THE AMAZON WEBSITE: “…eligible for the FREE Super Saver Shipping. Temporarily out of stock. Order now and we'll deliver when available. We'll e-mail you with an estimated delivery date as soon as we have more information. Your account will only be charged when we ship the item.”
Clary

Postby landog » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:14 am

Clary wrote:~Charcoal--and a safe way to use it to cook or heat with (not inside), if necessary. (Fifteen 20 lb. bags of charcoal can be enough to prepare 1 hot meal a day (or a "warming” fire) for ONE YEAR. --another good use for those sealed buckets. Transfer the bags of charcoal still in their paper bag, into a bucket and put the lid on it, for long term storage.) --for a year’s supply storage of charcoal, a mylar bag inside the bucket could be added for additional protection against moisture.

I used to be quite the griller. I have gotten away from it since going meat-less. (I know, I should grill veggies.)

There were four 20 pound bags left over in my garage and my son's scout troop was going away for a week long summer campout. When going through the list of things needed, and charcoal came up, my reponse was, "I'll supply it."

I was surprised at the last minute to find it was all moldy! I ended up buying a couple of new bags.

So, yes - protection against moisture would be smart!

Hope you never need it...

Be well,
-dog
landog

Postby Clary » Sun Mar 20, 2011 10:19 am

landog wrote:
Clary wrote:~Charcoal--and a safe way to use it to cook or heat with (not inside), if necessary. (Fifteen 20 lb. bags of charcoal can be enough to prepare 1 hot meal a day (or a "warming” fire) for ONE YEAR. --another good use for those sealed buckets. Transfer the bags of charcoal still in their paper bag, into a bucket and put the lid on it, for long term storage.) --for a year’s supply storage of charcoal, a mylar bag inside the bucket could be added for additional protection against moisture.

I used to be quite the griller. I have gotten away from it since going meat-less. (I know, I should grill veggies.)

There were four 20 pound bags left over in my garage and my son's scout troop was going away for a week long summer campout. When going through the list of things needed, and charcoal came up, my reponse was, "I'll supply it."

I was surprised at the last minute to find it was all moldy! I ended up buying a couple of new bags.

So, yes - protection against moisture would be smart!

Hope you never need it...

Be well,
-dog

Good information. Thanks. I'll share your experience.
I hope I never need it either, dog! :eek:
Clary

Natural Remedies for Radiation Exposure

Postby Clary » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:34 pm

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: "Be Prepared, Not Scared !"
I compiled the below information from a variety of sources. I’m Sharing the info FYI, and cannot endorse everything said or suggested in the following article. Before applying, please investigate and validate for yourself any suggestion you find of interest. Recipes may need to be "McDougall-ized". :!:

I've added a few personal comments in brackets: [ADDED by Clary:.....]

Be healthy. Eat your veggies! :mrgreen:
-Clary
---------------------------------
Natural Remedies for Radiation Exposure
Fears about nuclear radiation have certainly come to the forefront in the past few weeks. It’s a peculiar kind of threat in our modern times – we can’t see it, nor, for the most part, do we really understand it. Depending on your age, your experience with nuclear threats could include Bert the Turtle and his advice to simply “duck and cover”, the meltdown at Three Mile Island, the horrifying spectacle of Chernobyl, or perhaps just the vague notion that it has something to do with the place where Homer Simpson works. We now add a new chapter – the continuing crisis at Japan’s Fukushima nuclear complex.

Fueled by fearful media speculation and a distrust of government reports, people are seeking ways to protect themselves and their animals from the looming threat of excessive exposure to nuclear radiation. In doing research for our customers about the best natural solutions, we were reminded of the profound powers of nourishing foods and herbs that, when used regularly, provide a protective barrier against all manner of current environmental threats, including nuclear radiation. The truth is, we live in a radioactive world. We receive radiation from the sun, from the earth, from the food we eat, from airplane travels, and from countless electronics in our day-to-day life.

Following are suggestions and shared recipes of simple herbs and foods to help prevent damage from radiation and other environmental toxins. They’re simple, affordable and effective, and it's easy to incorporate some or all of them into your daily life.

Please Note: Potassium iodide has found itself in the limelight, despite the fact that no health care organizations, physicians or others in the health care community (including us!) are advocating its use unless you live in the immediate vicinity of a nuclear meltdown. Potassium iodide is potentially very dangerous to healthy individuals, it can only be used short term (no longer than two weeks), and it only protects the thyroid, not other parts of the body, in the event of extreme radiation exposure. Please be responsible and do your research before purchasing or taking potassium iodide.
-----------------------------------
[ADDED by Clary: I think it is only COMMON SENSE considering all that is happening in our world currently, to keep on hand a package or two of Potassium Iodide tabs for EACH MEMBER OF THE FAMILY to be prepared for a possible emergency when our thyroid glands need to be protected from radioactive iodine. Considering the ineptness of our govt., (& HHS) or lack of warning time, we would probably not be able to order or obtain the product if we needed to protect our thyroids from harmful radiation.

As soon as the "iosat" or "Life Extension" brands (two well-reviewed brands--previously available from Amazon, http://www.BePrepared.com , http://www.Vitacost.com ) are available again, they'd be a good thing to have on hand in the home and in emergency and "Bug Out" kits and in the car. The tabs have been sold out everywhere since shortly after the problems with the reactors in Japan were originally announced--even tho' our American media have played down any run on the tabs, except on the West Coast. The truth is, the products have been sold out all over the country, on the inter-net, and from the manufacturers.]
------------------
[ADDED by Clary: I have eight 1 oz. bottles of 2% Iodine Tincture spread out into the medicine cabinet, the 1st aid kits and the bug out bags. In an emergency the Iodine can be used not only to purify water, but as follows,
How to paint on iodine: Purchase a bottle of 2% tincture of iodine or Betadine at your local drugstore (you may have to ask for it at the pharmacy). Paint about a quarter sized area or so on your abdomen (a little less for children) and allow your skin to soak it in. Do this daily until the iodine does not disappear in a 24 hr. period, but remains a reddish-orange color on your skin (doesn’t fade). When it stops fading, it means your body has enough iodine.

I also keep a full gallon of Povidone-Iodine solution in my One Year's Emergency Supplies, for possible medicinal uses, and for water purification. Most of the Moms out there might know Povidone by the Brand Name, Betadine--which is more expensive than its equally effective generic brands. See some ideas to consider for using iodine, medicinally, here:
http://www.life-enthusiast.com/index/Pr ... _Reviews/1 ]
---------------------------------
Add Sea Vegetables (Seaweed) to Your Diet
(Kelp, Bladderwrack, Nori, Kombu, Wakame, Dulse etc.) The iodine in sea vegetables helps draw out radiation and protect the thyroid from radioactive uptake. If we have sufficient natural iodine in our bodies (Iodine 127 is the only natural iodine isotope), our bodies will not take in the heavier iodine 131 from radioactive particles. According to herbalist and internationally acclaimed seaweed expert Ryan Drum, if we continually take in 150 micrograms of iodine 127 daily, we will most likely be protected from adverse reactions to exposure to nuclear radiation, plus a host of other common environmental toxins. We can do this by eating 3-4 teaspoons (5-10 grams) or taking 6-8 capsules (00 size) of seaweeds daily.

Incorporate seaweeds into favorite foods like soups, rice, muffins, even cookies!! Mild dried seaweeds are pleasantly crunchy and salty, and make a delicious snack. For our animal companions we can sprinkle small amounts of powdered seaweed on their food. Humboldt Herbals offers Dot’s Wonder Pet Powders that contain seaweeds and immune supportive herbs.
[ADDED by Clary: "Maine Coast Sea Vegetables" brand--American, Hand-harvested, Atlantic Ocean, unprocessed, OCIA certified Organic sea veggies and products can be purchased at http://www.seaveg.com . Cookbooks and educational information availale at the website. Some of their products can be purchased at reduced prices at http://www.Vitacost.com when in stock. ]
-------------------------------------------
Related to the seaweeds are the algae including Chlorella and Spirulina, a blue-green algae first developed as a supplement in Japan, which has undergone serious investigation for its anti-toxic, anti-oxidant and anti-tumor effects. Interestingly, the Japanese are the biggest consumers of not only Chlorella but also seaweed, suggesting that Japanese are way out in front when it comes to addressing the issues of radiation toxicity.

Eat Orange and Dark Green Foods
Japanese researchers found that diets high in carotenes significantly reduced DNA damage in humans exposed to radiation. Supplements of beta-carotene (or of vitamins C or E) did not show this effect. Eating lots of orange and dark green foods (sweet potatoes, winter squash, beets, carrots, kale, collards, chard, and spinach, for example) can protect you from radiation-induced cancers.

Eat Your Broccoli
Guinea pigs bombarded with radiation lived a lot longer if they ate broccoli or cabbage. All cabbage family plants - including arugula, turnips, radishes, cauliflower, mustard greens, bok choy, Brussels sprouts, kale, collards, and of course broccoli - protect your cells from the damaging effects of radiation.

Miso Broth
Miso broth is the classic food for prevention of radiation damage. Miso is amazing medicine- containing live cultures, minerals, amino acids, and protein that support all the body’s systems and provide a radio-protective benefit. There’s twice the protection if a quarter-ounce/5 grams of dried kelp seaweed is added to the soup. In scientific studies, seaweed was able to neutralize radioactive isotopes in the human body. Researchers at McGill University say radioactive strontium binds to the algin in brown seaweeds to create sodium alginate, a compound easily and harmlessly excreted. Common black tea exhibited the same anti-radiation effects in several Japanese studies.

You’ll find a variety of miso pastes in the refrigerated section of most grocery stores. Click this link to learn more about delicious miso.
------------------------
[ADDED by Clary: My choice for the absolutely best, most authenticly prepared MISO: South River Miso at http://www.southrivermiso.com/ . If you visit their website, check out and copy the free 25 pg. recipe book--"The Little Book of Miso Recipes".]

Black & Green Teas
In the book, "Fighting Radiation and Chemical Pollutants with Foods, Herbs, and Vitamins" (Vitality, 1991), Steven Schecter tells us that both black and green tea showed "radio-protective effects" whether taken before or after exposure to radiation. Among other modes of operation, tea catechins absorb radioactive isotopes and remove them from the body before they do damage. The action is similar he says, to that of sodium alginate (the "active ingredient" in kelp seaweed).

Mushrooms
Eating any amount of reishi (a mushroom) reduces damage from radiation. Shiitake mushrooms do the same. If eating mushrooms isn’t your thing, Life Shield Immunity capsules from New Chapter are a wonderful blend of medicinal mushrooms that offers comprehensive deep immune support and radio-protective benefits. (Available at Humboldt Herbals)
[ADDED by Clary: I personally avoid the mushroom family in any form, because of mushrooms possible contribution to fungal overgrowth.]

Burdock Root
Burdock root (Arctium lappa) removes radioactive isotopes from the body. A dose is 1-4 ounces/300-120 grams of cooked fresh root, up to a pint of infusion daily, or several large spoonfuls of vinegar (but only if made with fresh roots). You’ll find fresh burdock roots in the produce section at natural food stores. In Japanese cuisine it’s called “gobo.”

Daikon radish has been used for drawing radiation, post nuclear fall out. You can make a delicious shredded salad that’s cooling and detoxifying with daikon, burdock and carrots – yum!

Beans
Dried beans, especially lentils can reverse DNA damage done by radiation. So can red clover (Trifolium pratense) and astragalus (Astragalus membranaceous) - two powerful members of the legume (bean) family.
[ADDED by Clary: Adzuki beans- (also known as azuki and aduki ) little red beans used in soups and stews- are great for improving kidney function, which is necessary for removing toxins.]

Homeopathy
Homeopathic remedies can be taken before and after exposure to radiation: Plumbum (lead) is said to help those who feel overwhelmed and in need of protection. Belladonna is used to prevent and relieve radiation burns and pains - even long after the immediate exposure.

Eat Foods Rich in Selenium
Selenium protects DNA from radiation damage and helps prevent damage to the skin surface, too. Get plenty of selenium by eating a daily dose of 2 cups/500 ml of nettle infusion, one-half ounce/15 g kelp, 2 ounces/60 g cooked burdock root, or 1 cup/250 ml organic yogurt daily. Shellfish, green and black teas, and garlic contain significant amounts of selenium, as do many mushrooms. The best sources however are nettles (2200 mcg per 100 grams), kelp (1700 mcg/100 g), burdock (1400 mcg/100 g), catnip (Nepeta cataria), ginseng, Siberian ginseng, and astragalus.

American Ginseng
In clinical trial with humans, those who took American ginseng extract (Panax quinquefolium) for thirty days following exposure to radiation showed hastened recovery from injuries to their bone marrow, organs, skin, and blood cells according to Paul Bergner in The Healing Power of Ginseng, The Enlightened Person's Guide, Prima, 1996. He quotes Japanese researcher Dr M. Yonezawa as saying that "ginseng appears to be the most useful agent available for protection against radiation damage."

Nourishing Herbal Infusions
It’s important to keep yourself well nourished if you are exposed to radiation. Make it a habit to drink at least two big cups of nourishing herbal infusion daily. Nettles, red clover, and violet leaves supply generous amounts of the nutrients you need most: protein and minerals, especially potassium and zinc.

Other Herbal Allies
Great herbal allies to help your body eliminate heavy metals and radiation are nettle tea, cilantro, and milk thistle (helps your liver process toxins). Deep immune building benefits are provided by astragalus, eleuthero and ginseng. Yarrow Environmental Solution Essencefrom Flower Essence Services is a beautiful formula to support the body in environmental disasters, especially radiation. Teas from Humboldt Herbals including Detoxify Tea, Blood Building Tea, Calcium Support Tea, I Love My Liver Tea, and Immune Boosting Broth are a lovely way to fortify your body and immune system, and our Savory Seasoning Sprinkle is packed with seaweeds and nutritive herbs!

For best results, cook with the herbs (kelp, astragalus, Siberian ginseng, ginseng, reishi, cilantro and burdock), brew nourishing herbal infusions with them (nettles, red clover, astragalus, burdock, catnip, and ginseng), make mineral-rich vinegars with them (nettles, burdock, catnip, cilantro, ginseng, and astragalus), or take a high-quality tincture of them (burdock, ginseng, Siberian ginseng, astragalus).

Epsom Salt Bath
Many natural health practitioners recommend bathing in Epsom Salts and baking soda to help neutralize exposure to radiation, especially after x-rays or long airplane flights. Epsom salt is not actually a salt at all, but the natural mineral compound, magnesium sulfate. It can be used internally as a natural laxative, or externally, as a soothing, healing soak for the body. Why is an Epsom salt bath beneficial? Because the magnesium and sulfates are readily absorbed into the body, imparting their own particular health benefits.

Magnesium is an incredibly valuable mineral, one that many people are deficient in. It is involved in hundreds of different enzyme activities. It is needed for the metabolism of other minerals, the proper use of insulin, efficient muscle and nerve function, and for restful sleep. Balancing with calcium in the body, magnesium helps to maintain a normal heart beat and blood pressure. It protects artery walls in times of stress, and prevents the calcification of soft tissue. Deficiencies can be linked to common issues, such as insomnia and irritability, and even heart disease. Sulfates disinfect the blood and flush toxins from cells. This detoxification effect may be why Epsom salt baths are soothing for people who suffer from arthritis and joint pain. Protecting the body against the harmful effects of pollution and radiation, they help to slow the aging process. Sulfates are also necessary for the synthesis of new collagen, which is needed for healthy, young-looking skin.

Baking soda, which is technically sodium bicarbonate, has an alkalizing effect on the body. This can be very important in cases of over-acidity, which is common with the typical western diet. Red meat, cheeses, sugar, and refined foods are acid-forming. A baking soda bath acts to neutralize this effect. It is also useful for detoxing from an overuse of alcohol, caffeine, medications, and nicotine. After soaking in this compound, the body generally feels refreshed and renewed, with the added benefit of soft, supple skin.

For the bath, add one cup each of Epsom salt and baking soda to a hot bath, stirring with your hand to ensure that everything dissolves. Soak for at least 20 minutes, then rinse in a warm shower. Ahhhhhhh. . . .
--------------------------------
[Added by Clary: The detox formula I prefer to help neutralize exposure to all types of daily or severe radiation is this one:
Basic Salt Soak Bath Formula
1 cup sea salt
2 cups baking soda
1 cup Epsom salts
1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable glycerin or jojoba oil per bath (OPTIONAL: a few drops of a therapeutic grade essential oil of choice. Mix the glycerin/jojoba with the essential oils before adding to water for better dispersement.)

Combine the sea salts, baking soda, and Epsom salts in a bowl. Stir to blend. Pour 1/4 to 1/2 cup or so into the bath while the tub is filling (more for dry skin, less for oily skin) and essential oils of choice.

Preparation time: 2 to 3 minutes
Shelf life: Indefinite
Storage: Glass jar with a screw top.]
-----------------------------------------------------------
Recipes
To make a nourishing herbal infusion:
~ Put one ounce of dried herb into a quart jar; fill jar to the top with boiling water and cap tightly.~ Strain after 4-8 hours and drink hot or cold. ~ Refrigerate what you don't drink right away; drink that within a day.

To make an herbal vinegar:
~ Fill any size jar with fresh herb (best!!) or one quarter full of dried herb (not nearly so good). ~ Pour room temperature apple cider vinegar over the herb, filling jar to the top. ~ Cover with plastic wrap or a cork. ~ Label with date and name of plant. ~ Let sit for six weeks. ~ Decant into a pretty bottle and use to season soups, beans, and salads.

Magical Medicinal Miso* Soup
Saute one onion, sliced thin, until translucent. Add water, seaweed of choice (Kombu and Wakame are especially tasty), shitake mushrooms (dried or fresh), burdock root, carrots, and any other hearty roots you like. Simmer for 25 minutes. If you’d like you can add shredded or sliced ginger near the end, so it’s strong, and some garlic. You can also add greens, like kale or spinach. Because you don’t want to boil your miso, it’s best to put a large dollop of miso paste in each bowl and then pour the broth on top to dissolve it. Drink bowls and offer bowls to all your loved ones and neighbors, kiddos and pets, family and friends.

Nourishing Sea Green Soup
(from Valerie Cooksley’s book: Seaweed)

This soup is detoxifying to the body, eliminating extra fluid and contaminants. It has cleansing, rejuvenating, and energy-giving properties, and is steeped with nourishing benefits owing to its high-mineral content and chlorophyll –filled sea vegetables and field greens. For heartier soup one can increase soup stock to 2 quarts and add whole wheat soba noodles during the last 5 minutes of cooking.
1 ½ quarts soup stock (or 2 low sodium vegetable broth cubes)
¾ cup dried sea vegetables (assortment of kombu, wakame, nori, dulse, hijiki, alaria, etc.)
1 large sweet onion chopped
2 celery stalks chopped
2 carrots thinly sliced
6 cloves of garlic, chopped
½ cup green onion
3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
2 cups fresh spinach, chard, beet greens cabbage etc. chopped
Pinch of cayenne pepper
Black Pepper to taste
5 slices fresh ginger root
2 tbsp. Soy Sauce or Tamari
1 tbsp. miso
½ tsp. Celtic Sea Salt

Get Your Daikon Easy Shredded Salad
Shred 1 carrot, 1 daikon radish, and one carrot-sized burdock root
Mix with sesame oil and a little umeboshi vinegar (also a great medicine!), sesame seeds, whatever fresh herbs you’ve got on hand (I love mint or cilantro), and a little tamari. Eat and feel alive and well thanks to the plants, the sun, the water and the farmers.

Sesame Kelp Brittle
Recipe courtesy of the folks at She Sells Seaweed
~1/2 Cup Brown Rice Syrup
~1/4 Cup Olive Oil
~Dash of shoyu soy sauce
~1 cup sesame seeds
~1/2 Cup crushed Almonds
~1/4-3/4 cup or to your liking of finely crushed kelp (set oven on low heat and bake kelp for 10 min or until crisp and grind in food processor)
~2-3 tsp of fresh finely chopped ginger root
Heat syrup, oil and soy sauce in small sauce pan. When mixture begins to foam up add seeds, nuts, kelp, and ginger, and stir thoroughly. Line a large cookie sheet w/parchment.Spread mixture onto parchment and then cover with another piece of parchment and roll out flat w/rolling pin (or glass or jar!). Remove top parchment.Bake at 350 degrees for 10 minutes—and then for the last few minutes check every minute until golden. Remove from oven and rip away parchment after 5-10 minutes. Break into pieces and enjoy!!

Rosehip/Orange Jam (from Christa Sinadinos)
Concerned about potential radioactive exposure from Japan? Pectin is highly ionic and can draw and hold radioactive compounds, environmental toxins, and heavy metals. It enhances detoxification. Orange peel and rosehips contain pectin. Consider making a simple jam with 3/4 cup rosehips c/s 1/4 cup orange peel and 2 cups apple juice; steep overnight. Keep refrigerated and eat a tbs or two a day. Yum

Spring Detox Soup
1/2 celery bunch
1 butternut squash
2 cups shiitake mushrooms
1 onion
1 head broccoli
1 bunch beets
1 clove garlic
1 can tomatoes
6 cups stock
1 tsp smoked paprika
Chop up all the vegetables. In a large stock pot, add the beef stock and the chopped vegetables and the garlic and paprika. Add in the canned tomatoes. Bring to a boil. Reduce and simmer for 30 minutes until the vegetables are cooked through. Puree in a blender.
------------------------
------------------------
“You want to make sure your body can easily eliminate toxins, especially radiation. The healthier you are, the better your organs can do their job. So you want to avoid ACIDIC foods and foods that slow down your body’s ability to detoxify. It is important to avoid coffee, sodas, refined sugars, dairy, and ‘white’ foods (white bread, white rice, etc…) and processed foods (fractured foods, chemicals, additives, dyes, etc.).”

:mrgreen: EAT YOUR VEGGIES! :mrgreen:
Last edited by Clary on Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Clary

Postby fostermom3 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:50 pm

Thank you Clary for all the great information and links that you have posted on this topic. I wish that I had begun to prepare two years ago instead of just two months ago! You've been a great help.
fostermom3

Postby HollyJo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:44 am

Clary,
Thank You! A wealth of knowledge you are! I always learn so much from your post.
I just received my copy of "When all Hell Breaks Loose". Lot's of reading to do.
I am gathering supplies slowly but surely. I will be looking into Iodine now.
I have to see what I have already ordered. I think it was the Iodide..

Holly
HollyJo

Postby Clary » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:13 pm

fostermom3 wrote:Thank you Clary for all the great information and links that you have posted on this topic. I wish that I had begun to prepare two years ago instead of just two months ago! You've been a great help.

You're certainly welcome.
--and you'll be just fine. Just keep working along a little each week. Choose priorities from such things as water, food, bug out bags, emergency kits, etc. Each thing you add or any step you take will encouage you on to the next. :nod:
Clary

Postby Clary » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:29 pm

HollyJo wrote:Clary,
Thank You! A wealth of knowledge you are! I always learn so much from your post.
I just received my copy of "When all Hell Breaks Loose". Lot's of reading to do.
I am gathering supplies slowly but surely. I will be looking into Iodine now.
I have to see what I have already ordered. I think it was the Iodide..
Holly

You are welcome. Please report back on the book as you go along if you have time--your opinions, insights, motivations, etc. I had an email from "Emergency Essentials" today-- http://www.beprepared.com -- that they have a limited supply of "IOSAT Potassium Iodide Tablets" in, and will be selling them first come first serve. (They didn't raise the price on them.)
Clary

THE DAY OF TORNADOS

Postby Clary » Tue May 03, 2011 9:36 am

...want to share two things we learned as part of the recent DAY of TORNADOS. (The count is now at 312 for the nmber of formed and validated tornados in one 24 hr. period .) The landscapes look like they have been bombed--over and over again.

(1.) Because of her large and up to date supply of food, water, batteries, flashlights, toilet paper, paper plates, etc., and from keeping her gas tank no more than half empty, my daughter and a couple teens (one, her son) were able to travel to many of their neighbors who were without water, utilites, running out of food, etc. and help them until gas was available for them to travel to an area to shop. She bought bags of ice locally from trucks that came up to our Walmart parking lot, and deliverd ice, also, to help those w/o electric to keep their fresh foods cooled.

BTW, one of the first tornados of the 160 that traveled through our immediate area between 5 am and 8 pm, touched down between my daughter's house and her neighbor's. They each own several acres of land, and 100's of beautiful old hard wood trees were destroyed, but both homes escaped.

(2.) In all the years I have been involved with emergency preparedness and tried to list ideas of why someone might need to depend on stored food (such as loss of job/income, store closures due to weather/strikes, loss of utilites, long term illnes, weather conditions, etc.) it never, ever once occurred to me that we might need to use our emergency supplies because of people driving into our area to shop when services, stores, etc. in their own nearby areas are effected, and depleting supplies here--which happened.

By about 9 am the day after the tornados (the last warning ending at 8 pm) , our Super Walmart in our little town about 30 miles north of Huntsville AL (which lost ALL utilities and EVERYTHING--in the city of about 800,000 was shut down—and including the nuclear plant, and a curfew initiated—and only began regaining electric, etc. yesterday) was depleted of every bottle or container of water of any type, and of batteries, flashlights, propane canisters, charcoal, lanterns, grills, paper plates and cups, and more. The toilet paper and plastic trash bags and pet food, and many other items were down to only a few.

Eight lines of 20 cars each were in the Walmart gas station from six am til near dusk (when the AL curfews would go back into place.) Gas stations all over Fayetteville were packed to the capacity of their lots. I drove around town to survey. Tanker trucks were frequently seen re-filling supplies. In Huntsville, gas stations could not pump gas because they had no electricity.
Clary

Postby ncyg46 » Tue May 03, 2011 9:49 am

Clary...did you make it thru okay?

The south looks like total devastation. I can't even imagine what people are dealing with. During that year with 4 hurricanes, we had no electric for 5 days the first time but the problem was keeping the generator with gas since none of the stations could pump any...and you couldn't buy a gas container anywhere. We went door to door looking for any lawnmower gas that didn't have oil in it! We ran the generator for 4 families to keep their food cold...a half hour at a time!

Reminds me to go thru my dehydrated foods for our upcoming trip to Monument Valley. May be living on those for the week. :D
ncyg46

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge