Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

Postby Clary » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:39 am

Clary wrote:
Nettie wrote:
Clary, I have a question for you...
-What do you think of the British Berkefeld gravity water filters?.... Just wondering if you had any experience or knowledge about this. Thanks for any insight you can offer.
Nettie

I don't have any experience or knowledge about this water filter. I did a search to see what it looked like, thinking it might be something similar to a gravity water filter one of my daughters used for a short time. It looks a lot like the one she had. I sent her an email and a link to look at this brand, and asked her if it is the same as the one her Father-in-Law gave their family and that she used for awhile. --and asked why she stopped using it. I If I hear anything back, I'll let you know.
Good luck in your research.

Hi Nettie,
Here is my daughter’s response to my email:
"This is not the brand we had, but xxxxxx's sister had this brand. Ours was the same type of system, but a different brand name. I don’t remember what the name of it was. I think the reason we stopped using ours was the filters cost over $100. also- no one would remember to fill it up, so it just took up counter space."

By chance, this following article was on my hotmail opening page this morning. Of course, these results are from only the cities included in the testing. In my personal opinion, we have “water purity problems” all over the country. How could we NOT?:

"10 U.S. cities with the worst drinking water"
"If you live in Pensacola, Fla., you may want to invest in a water purifier"

Full article:
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/41354370/?gt1=43001
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby Clary » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:10 am

Nettie wrote: "Preparing a Day at a Time"
http://ldsmag.com/index.php?option=com_ ... =1&id=7431.
Thanks for this, Clary. We started preparing in a big way 12 years ago right before the big Y2K non-event. :\

Nettie

You are welcome. :)
Your post brought back Y2K memories of my spending the majority of maybe a week of days in my daughter's driveway and yard with a hose and rags and baking soda, scrubbing and soaking dozens and dozens and dozens of 5 gal. buckets to prepare them for water storage for my daughter’s family and myself. They had contained highly concentrated soft drink syrup. What a job. :eek:

Over time, their family has used those buckets of water –and others they have added--not only for themselves when a water pipe burst, but more than once (refilled, of course!) to go to the rescue of friends, neighbors, or church members who temporarily lost their water supply for one reason or another. One family's well went dry, and my son-in-law and grandsons loaded up many of the 5 and 6 gal. buckets of water and provided water for drinking, cooking, and flushing.

Looking back, it seems that Y2K prep was maybe the first exposure and practice that many in our country had re: food and water storage.

Inventory of what is stored in your basement and sorting through it sounds like a good place to start. :nod:
Clary

Postby Clary » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:44 am

I received this information in a newsletter today:

"Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less. Preparedness brings peace, confidence, and hope during times when others around us have lost theirs, freeing us to focus on the things that are most important....

"Is your food storage easy to access? If not, you should have a plan in place in case you find yourself in the position this Oklahoma family did. What if a tornado swept through or an earthquake struck and your husband or wife or older kids were unable to get home? Could those who are left to "hold down the fort" access the food? Is all the food in the basement? What would happen if there was a flood? It might be wise to store food in more than one location in your home...."

Full article here:
http://ldsmag.com/index.php?option=com_ ... =1&id=7503
Clary

[Man, 84, Survives 5 Days Stuck in Desert Ditch.

Postby Clary » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:16 am

...Diabetic, and stranded in the desert in his car without water, he drank windshield wiper fluid to "stay alive," which resulted in kidney damage, for which he was hospitalized, for treatment.

I couldn’t help but think of the suffering this poor man might have avoided if his car had been stocked year ‘round with water, nutritious emergency food, blankets, x-tra diabetic supplies, and a standard first aid and emergency kit, including emergency heat and light sources.

I heard Mr. Morello interviewed on a news show this morning, and the interviewer asked him if he got scared. He said, yes, he was scared at different times, especially at night.
My heart went out to him…
------------------
"Man, 84, Survives 5 Days Stuck in Desert Ditch."
Morello, who is a diabetic, said he learned another lesson from his adventure: "I'll never drive without water."
One of many articles here:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2011/02/ ... 4760.shtml
Clary

Postby nicoles » Wed Feb 16, 2011 9:26 am

This guy has a lot of survival information, and his podcasts are free. He *almost* rants a bit here and there, but all in all, I find him very helpful and chock full of usable tips for all levels of preparedness.

http://www.thesurvivalpodcast.com/

I am in no way affiliated with him; I offer this link for informational purposes only :)

Nicole
Tough times don't last, tough people do

Read the results of my journey here: Nicole S. O'Shea vs. Psoriatic Arthritis

My Journal
nicoles

Postby Clary » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:27 pm

Article:
"FOUR CONSIDERATIONS FOR WATER IN AN EMERGENCY"
Excerpts:
"...actively prepare for a situation while you have the time and resources."

“By “thinking ahead,” you accomplish three crucial aspects of handling a crisis, even beyond looking for suitable water. “Thinking ahead” allows you to:

1. Prepare psychologically for exposure to stress.
2. Plan logically before you respond.
3. Gather the essential tools for an appropriate response.

Active Preparation
When an emergency occurs, you may not always have access to your preparations but you can always improve upon your efforts to make drinking water available for yourself and others. The key is to actively prepare. The best way to begin preparing or to enhance your preparations is to start with the most practical and accessible step. Do not get suckered into spending large amounts of money which you cannot afford to borrow in order to “solve it all” with one purchase.

”Begin your A.Q.U.A. preparation by simply thinking through each step. You will be surprised to learn that 80% of your preparation will be accomplished through your thoughts and plans, and the other 20% will be accomplished by acting on your plans….”

Full article:
http://www.activistpost.com/2011/01/4-c ... FeedBurner
Clary

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Feb 20, 2011 6:48 pm

we just added it up. We go thru about a gallon and a half of water a day and we have 15 gallons of RO water stored at all times. I figure they don't get all the crud out of it so maybe there is still minerals in it???? And I need to start cooking out of our storage shed and pantry for awhile except for fresh stuff! Need to use it. Todays shopping since I didn't want to go out in the rain was 3 bananas...I am a cheap date! :D
ncyg46

Postby Jubilee » Sun Feb 27, 2011 2:08 pm

I saw this video and was amazed at the idea. It's really cool to see this canned food storage unit. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnXfO7Y ... re=related

Blessings,
Jubilee
Jubilee

Postby Clary » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:31 pm

Jubilee wrote:I saw this video and was amazed at the idea. It's really cool to see this canned food storage unit. Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCnXfO7Y ... re=related

Blessings,
Jubilee

Thanks Jubilee,
I wish I could watch, but I can't. I currently have a computer with no sound card, and a dial-up that takes waaaaaaaaay too long to download (about an hr. to dowload a 3-4 min. video.) :(
Clary

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:07 pm

shame it won't fit in an rv! :D
ncyg46

Postby Clary » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:15 pm

ncyg46 wrote:shame it won't fit in an rv! :D

:nod:
Clary

When All Hell Breaks Loose

Postby Clary » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:27 pm

If you are an "Emergency Preppie" :nod: who prefers to "be prepared, not scared" I have an excellent book to recommend. --450 pages! of good and great ideas, which one reviewer says (and I agree), "... if you are one of the 6.4% of the American population with a clue about taking responsibility for your own life, WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE provides insight into common-sense solutions that can keep you and yours...alive." --and if books are your friends ;-), and you are a book lover (like me), you will enjoy just holding this wonderfully put-together book in your hands. It "feels" good.

I bought my copy on Amazon for $11.58.
If I could have only one preparedness book (and I have several) this is the book I would choose!
The author, Cody Lundin, has a website:
http://www.codylundin.com/

I also finally bought my own copy of Newcomb’s Wildflower Guide, the book with an accurate identification system which "covers more plants than other guides,” and is easily mastered by non-botanists. –by Lawrence Newcomb.

The next book to buy on my list is: Botany in a day: the patterns method of plant identification, by Thomas J. Elpel.

-And don't forget, "Food is an important part of a BALANCED DIET." :unibrow: --Fran Lebowitz
Clary

Postby Clary » Thu Mar 17, 2011 6:24 am

Sharing an article/photos that came in this morning from a newsletter I subscribe to from the "Safely Gathered In" blog. --of special interest to those who wish to store food or emergency supplies, but live in small spaces:
Food Storage Hunt: I Dare You to Eat It!
"We're so pleased to have Liesa from I Dare You to Eat It on our Food Storage Hunt today. She has some incredible ideas for storing food around your house. Take a look!..."
http://safelygatheredin.blogspot.com/20 ... at-it.html
Clary

Postby noelalexis2000 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:06 am

Thanks Clary for all your wonderful ideas and links. Very motivating. :-)
noelalexis2000

Postby Clary » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:08 am

BE PREPARED, NOT SCARED"
I noticed when I entered the previous post, there have been 13,138 views of this thread, which I started 2 years ago yesterday, inspired after reading Dr. McDougall's March 2008 newsletter, which included these topics, "Cutting Food Costs in These Times of Economic Downturn", "Eat for Less than $3 a Day on The McDougall Diet", "Should You Store Food for an Emergency…” -and more:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/mar/foodcost.htm

I wonder, on the two-year anniversary of this thread, if any McDougallers here on the board have any "I'm glad I was prepared" stories, or other prep stories or ideas to share with us?

It is my hope that there are some of us here today who are and who "feel" far better prepared than we did 2 years ago--considering all that is happening w/drastically escalating food prices and increasing inflation, food contamination and manipulation, gas prices, unbelievable weather/nature-caused problems--(earthquakes/floods/tornados/hurricaines/blizzards/mudslides/wildfires, etc. etc. etc.!) :eek: unemployment, house foreclosures, and much upheaval all around the world of sorts we never imagined--which in many cases effect us and our economy--OR COULD BECOME US. :shock:

"Be prepared, not scared." I really like that affirmation by Cody Lundin, from his book, which I want to mention again. This is now the most useful of all "preparedness" books that I have read to date (still reading it--450 pg. of detailed info.)
WHEN ALL HELL BREAKS LOOSE--by Cody Lundin
Clary

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge