Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Emergency & Long-Term Preparedness

Postby Clary » Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:27 am

From time to time we have discussed food and water storage, and other emergency and long-term preparedness, with condsiderable interest from some of the McDougaller's on the board. This information was sent to me today:

Prepare for More Frequent Power Outages
By Carolyn Nicolaysen
http://www.ldsmag.com/emergency/090415power.html

--and that article contained links to these three articles:

Storing Food Safely
By Carolyn Nicolaysen
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/emergen ... 3food.html

Water Storage — What if the Tap Goes Dry?
By Carolyn Nicolaysen
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/emergen ... water.html

When the Power Fails...
By Carolyn Nicolaysen
http://www.meridianmagazine.com/emergen ... inter.html
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And a reminder of Dr. McDougall's March 2008 newsletter, which included these topics, "Cutting Food Costs in These Times of Economic Downturn", "Eat for Less than $3 a Day on The McDougall Diet", "Should You Store Food for an Emergency?", and more:
http://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2008nl/mar/foodcost.htm

And don't forget the freedom from working toward becoming debt free, and having a year's supply of $MONEY$ along with other emergency supplies! :thumbsup:

"It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark!"
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby Letha. » Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:08 am

Hi Clary,
I like your quote: "It wasn't raining when Noah built the Ark!"

I think I’m going to try canning this summer – which would be a benefit if I lose power. I’m also contemplating purchasing a generator but of course that will only work as long as there is fuel available.

I’m still trying to decide where to put my canned goods as my house is small. I’m thinking of the garage and I have a small storage room at the back so I’m investigating passive temperature controls. I live in a temperate climate and I saw something about setting up a room like a root cellar in a book about root cellars which I have purchased and then lost or gotten rid of at least twice over the years. Perhaps my library has a copy. Let me go look on line. :cool:
Letha
Letha.

Postby Wildapple » Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:06 pm

Thanks, Clary. That was great info.
Wildapple

Postby Chile » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:00 pm

Along with canning, don't forget about dehydrating food. I've recenty dried chard from the garden as well as a pumpkin (from last October!). Like canned food, dehydrated food does not suffer when the power goes out. And, it takes less space than the cans. (Of course, to rehydrate them, hot water is better than cold so try to make sure you have some sort of alternative power such as a solar oven, rocket stove, or camping stove.)
Chile

Postby Chile » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Clary, the articles were good. I recently read a report by a gentleman who convinced his family to turn off all their utilities, including water, and leave the car parked for a whole weekend. They wanted to test their emergency preparedness. They found out they were not as prepared as they thought!

One important lesson they learned was that not all bathtubs hold water. They ran out of washing up water because both tubs drained completely overnight.

After getting all of your supplies and plans together, a test run like this might be helpful.
Chile

Postby ncyg46 » Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:45 pm

Letha. wrote:Hi Clary,

I like that quote also. We are pretty well equipped for emergencies except for our water pump switch which we found out was bad a few weeks ago when they shut off the water to the park and it didn't do anything. Need to get that looked at.

We have solar panels, deep cycle 6 volt batteries, and inverter panel that is true-sine 1000 watts and a small generator. We have dried beans, canned goods, a garden and a solar cooker so we could sanitize water if I would learn how. I don't drink the tap water here cause there is soooooo much salt in it.

been thru four hurricanes in one year, I remember it well! With Charlie we got fed up on the 5th day and blew up the kiddie pool, made a marguarita off the generator and relaxed!!!!
ncyg46

Postby curlykaleGail » Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:47 am

I don't know if it was the increase of home invasions in our area this year or if it's the pirating going on right now in Somalia but reading about having a years worth of income in cash stashed somewhere in case the banks close up has me nervous.

I'm also hearing gun sales are sky rocketing. I heard one report where a guy bought a gun and didn't even have to register. He gave a lame excuse and the saleman let him off. The price of guns are up from last year quite abit and it doesn't matter people are buying them like crazy.

I suppose you won't know until your in the situation where there's a food shortage, no accesable money, and then problems with power outages but if you've prepared for it, you'll probably have to board your windows and doors. :shock: Can you imagine.

Anyway I heard to buy seed packets and have those in supply hidden somewhere because they'll be someday very hard to get. The hardy heirloom varieties last for ever. I'm even hearing now seed companies are selling out far faster then ever before because people are turing their yards into gardens.

Its all to much to ponder. :?
I've wined and dined on muligan stew and never wished for turkey
as I hitched and hiked and grifted too
from Maine to Albuquerque.
-From "The Lady is a Tramp"
curlykaleGail

Postby Letha. » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:26 am

Most excellent photo Nancy. Is that you? Now that's living! :)
Letha

CurlykaleGail, I think it’s good to have your cash/desirables broken up in multiple hiding places. Then if pressed you can give up a portion and still have some left. :cool:
Letha.

lol...

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:38 am

yes Letha...

that's me in my hamburger helper days!!!
a little larger......we both were! :D
ncyg46

Postby Clary » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:42 am

ncyg46 wrote:

been thru four hurricanes in one year, I remember it well! With Charlie we got fed up on the 5th day and blew up the kiddie pool, made a marguarita off the generator and relaxed!!!!

What a great photo! You and your Ed know how to enjoy life. :thumbsup: I wish I were parked next to you!

If I knew the ins and outs, and how to go about it, and how to start and what to look for etc etc etc I would join the RV crowd. They gypsy in me would love it!
Clary

Postby Clary » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:45 am

...something about setting up a room like a root cellar in a book about root cellars which I have purchased and then lost or gotten rid of at least twice over the years. Perhaps my library has a copy. Let me go look on line. :cool:
Letha

Please share what you learn and any decisions you make about a root cellar.
Clary

Postby ncyg46 » Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:58 pm

What a great photo! You and your Ed know how to enjoy life. :thumbsup: I wish I were parked next to you!

If I knew the ins and outs, and how to go about it, and how to start and what to look for etc etc etc I would join the RV crowd. They gypsy in me would love it!

Clary,

we didn't know much when we started...go rent one for a short time, read the internet, join rving clubs online, etc. We met in the rver's under 55 group on yahoo! I think there are people in your area! go for it!!
ncyg46

Emergency Preparedness...

Postby f1jim » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:38 am

One of the most important considerations....
Especially if you live in an urban/suburban area is not just to have emergency food, water, money, etc, is how you plan on hanging on to those emergency supplies in the face of unrest and looting. When things have hit the fan in recent past, many with resources have become victims. This is a matter of choice, but I am prepared to act in the interest of myself, my family, and my friends. All the preparations in the world do no good if your personal survival supplies are being carried away by someone that wants them more than you do!
f1jim
f1jim

Re: Emergency Preparedness...

Postby Letha. » Mon Apr 20, 2009 8:22 am

f1jim wrote:One of the most important considerations....
Especially if you live in an urban/suburban area is not just to have emergency food, water, money, etc, is how you plan on hanging on to those emergency supplies in the face of unrest and looting.
f1jim

When it comes to holding onto your stuff – I think hiding things is a wonderful way to go. The best book I’ve seen on this topic is 'Secret Rooms Secret Compartments' by Jerry Dzindzeleta. I’m not very handy but this book is filled with illustrations that made it very easy for me to understand how to create some hidden spaces. :)
Letha
Letha.

Postby Powered by Veggies » Mon Apr 20, 2009 1:13 pm

That's the one thing I really like when it comes to being vegan. It seems like most of our starchy kind of food like beans, lentils, rice, pasta etc. can be stored for a long period of time without having to worry about them going bad in a couple weeks.

Nancy, that's a great picture! Haha.