foods you eat every day

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

foods you eat every day

Postby kimba » Sat Mar 07, 2009 1:29 pm

What foods do you find that you eat every single day? That you just have to have?

kimba
kimba

still trying to figure that out

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:10 pm

usually have oatmeal with fruit and flaxseed in the morning. I keep hummus and bean spread in the fridge, the speedy international stew, brown rice...and the rest is whatever I figure out. I also need suggestions :eek:
ncyg46

Postby Purdy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:34 pm

I eat ALL my foods every day. That is my secret. The same thing every day. Like a cat or dog. Every day, the same bag of food......and as you may have noted in some dogs, they can't wait for another helping of that delicious identical food....Woof, Woof.....

No wonder so many others have trouble staying on their plan.....always changing their menus from day to day. Tempted by this and tempted by that.

Nope, the real secret is a set menu .....365 x year --> Woof, woof! :thumbsup:
Purdy

365 days a year

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:55 pm

so what kind of things do you like for eating it over and over?
ncyg46

Postby luvdachiess » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:57 pm

I can't do the same thing every day. I would start seeing other foods I want and would be tempted by more oil and sugar if I did that.

Saying all that I have been pretty much 100% for almost 6 months and that is from the first time I had ever heard of DrM.

What do I have most day Oatmeal or cooked cereal for breakfast ie Oatmeal, steel cut oats.

Lunch is usually baked potato or brown rice with brocolli, or beans with it. Once in a while I will have a bowl of beans with a couple of warmed corn tortilla with it.

Dinner varys every day. Some of my fav's are bowl of beans with corn tortillas, salad with ww couscous- with grilled peppers, onions, chili, pasta with speg. sauce or pasta with steamed broccoli, zucc, onions mixed in., split pea soup, veggie soup. Any number of things.

I am always looking for new ideas, great thread. :D
Teresa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHMutQn/]
[/url]
luvdachiess

Postby Pat » Sat Mar 07, 2009 4:11 pm

Steel cut oats with ground flax seeds every morning. Potatoes and/or rice with lunch and dinner. Lots of spinach, onions, garlic, canned diced tomatoes, cilantro, garbanzo beans mixed with other veggies almost every day. All seasoned with cumin and curry powder.
Pat

Postby dlhanson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:09 pm

Fresh squeezed vegetables (kale, cabbage, celery, broccoli, ginger root) for breakfast every day except Sunday - about six cups of juice each day

1 cup of brown cooked rice for lunch every day
2 oranges or 2 apples for lunch every day

mixed beans or green split peas or red lentils (all plain - the beans with some spices and tomato sauce ) for dinner every day
green cabbage sliced for dinner every day

DW wife has more brown rice and more variety of green vegetables to munch - one tangerine instead of two fruits - the rest is the same
---- we purchase our dried beans at Walmart and mix them ourselves ----
dlhanson

Postby funcrunch » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:10 pm

I have oatmeal almost every morning. Normally I cook it with soymilk (or almond milk depending on what's open in the fridge), mashed bananas, and applesauce. In the summer I'll add peaches and/or strawberries instead. I do have other things for breakfast, but oatmeal is the default.

Other than oatmeal and black tea (which is not McD-legal, though I only have one cup with caffeine and the rest decaf), there's nothing I eat *every* day. I do start to panic when I run out of oatmeal or bananas though! :shock:
funcrunch

Postby dlhanson » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:14 pm

Fresh squeezed vegetables (kale, cabbage, celery, broccoli, ginger root) for breakfast every day except Sunday - about six cups of juice each day

mixed beans or green split peas or red lentils (all plain - the beans with some spices and tomato sauce ) for dinner every day

DW wife has more brown rice and more variety of green vegetables to munch - one tangerine instead of two fruits - the rest is the same
dlhanson

oatmeal

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 5:58 pm

i do my oatmeal Esselstyn style since like Ann I don't like it cooked...I do fruit, berries, flaxseed and grape nuts with the oats and throw juice over it. Still being bad with Crystal Light...guess I could just use water....
ncyg46

Postby Golden Ghost » Sat Mar 07, 2009 6:15 pm

dlhanson wrote:Fresh squeezed vegetables (kale, cabbage, celery, broccoli, ginger root) for breakfast every day except Sunday - about six cups of juice each day

tell me about your squeezed vegetables. do you use a juicer? if so, what kind? I've been thinking about getting one. thanks.
Golden Ghost

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:16 pm

when i am in a rush I still do etl smoothies....banana, blueberries, strawberries, flaxseed, spinach or whatever veggies, I have with water and blend!
ncyg46

Postby Plumerias » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:15 pm

Okay, before I answer this, some disclosure so no one throws rotten tomatoes at me..... I'm not fully McDougall and won't be as I've no health problems and like Indian cuisine far too much. Vegan, about 98%, no eggs or dairy at home.

That said, fruits for breakfast every day. I hate oatmeal, I could just thwack it at the wall with a spoon and can't eat a large breakfast anyways. DH played with a low fat muffin recipe for me and we now have a good flax and fruits muffin that gives me some of the desired oatmeal without having to wash the walls. Nancy, would you please explain the Ann Esselstyn oatmeal thing?

As for the rest of the day, I am not one who can eat the same things daily. Besides, I've learned to like cooking and there's so much out there to try. We work, well worked, at home, and while experimenting and transitioning discovered that we felt best having our major meal the second one as opposed to the third. It works for us, but is difficult in social settings as "lunch" is around 2 or 3 and "dinner" around 8. Rice is the most common item eaten there. Some beans or lentils with it.
Plumerias

the oatmeal

Postby ncyg46 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Anne or however you spell it (sorry didn't look it up) she is on the McDougall dvd and she has a cooking segment...she says she thinks oatmeal is slimey...so do i so I just put fruit in the bowl, 1/2 cup of rolled oats, grape nuts right now....flaxseed and pour something over it to soak. I happen to like Crystal Light and shouldn't use it since it has egual in it but i like it and orange juice doesn't fit too well in the fridge.....I just let it soak for a few minutes and eat it that way without cooking!!!!!! I guess i could just use rice milk or water but i don't. I either use grape nuts, ezekiel cereal or uncle sams....
ncyg46

Postby Purdy » Sat Mar 07, 2009 10:44 pm

I've been asked on this thread and in another about my repetitious menu.

A menu which I'm going to repeat shortly after posting this :-D

1. Breakfast

Part (A).... stewed tomato slices from Trader Joes (plum, unsalted)
, beans (Bushes, refried, or other...normally with well below 10% fat)
couscous or is it cous cous..., 2 or 3 slices of toasted bread, tea.
Part (B)....oatmeal, with almost equal wheat bran added, plus lots of raisins, topped with soy milk.

2. Lunch/Mid-day snack.... Fruit, apple or banana.... plus toast with honey, tea, juice.

3. Dinner ,..... salad, usually romaine, with Trader Joes dressing, very low fat and low sodium, Pasta (pile), Trader Joes whole wheat rotelle, 3 corn tortillas, with multiple veggies steamed(piled high), some walnuts on some days, tofu on other days, both on some days. ( i put some of the pasta and veggies etc inside the tortillas)
Everything (except the salad) topped with my homemade, near zero sodium pasta sauce-->( Tomatoes, bell peppers, spices, onions, crushed hot pepper etc )
Wine.......Trader Joes Two Buck Chuck normally, Merlot...

Dessert on some nights, some warm soy milk with homemade chocolate mix. Essentially a very small 1/2 cup of hot chocolate.

Now....as to variation. The following does take place.
In the veggies.... Each week I buy about 6 or 7+ kinds of veggies of which I use about 3 or 4 in the above dinner meal. However which of the 6 I choose can vary from night to night. Early in the week I use those that can spoil the fastest, like the Swiss Chard. Others such as carrots, cauliflower, brussel sprouts, and cabbage last longer into the week.
Broccoli is the most common veggie... other in addition to the ones listed above include bok choy, zuchinni, butternut squash, napa cabbage, red and green cabbage.

Anyway, I do get some variation in the veggie mix I choose each night but the method of cooking as well as the pasta sauce is always the same and goes on top of everything.

The plate is piled high, twice.....and I'm always surprised it can all fit into my stomach. After dinner I am completely satisfied. No room for any extra food. Thus the small 1/2 cup of hot soy chocolate after cleaning up.

Later to bed.....Wake up next day (hopefully) then repeat......Woof, Woof....tail wagging...Oh boy.......same thing again....woof , woof

OH.... here are some alterations, including a couple "off plan" items.
1. occasional canned wild salmon (many suggest it is good for various conditions I am trying to avoid)
2. Earth Balance spread on my toast. (each 16 oz tub lasts 80-90 days)
3. occasional TVP chunks in place of walnuts, soy, or salmon mentioned above.
4. occasional egg white (probably includes, on average 1/4 of yolk or less)
5. In-N-Out-- Triple Bacon Cheeseburger Supreme, large fries, and shake, every 3rd Tuesday of each month :eek:..(just kidding )

So, thats what I eat.... over and over and over..

Other than the veggies varying a bit, its very narrow in scope and in presentation, style, cooking manner. No doubt boring to most, but I'm always ready and eager to eat...like right now!

So if you come to my house for dinner, and for some strange reason no one wants to :( , then thats what will be on the table...

This is why I am never tempted to "fall off my wagon".....Simply put, there is nothing in the house I can use to do the "falling off"...
The nearest store is about 7 miles round trip, and I'm sure as heck not going to drive all that way for a couple mouthfuls of something.

Except for Holidays and a few meals out with friends, I eat the same over and over. I dont' mean the holidays....I mean, the holiday meal.
Meaning the singular Christmas dinner etc.... rather than some Holiday season binge.

Oh i am sometimes sent home with a holiday leftovers "CARE package" by those who just know I'm not eating enough. I take it and gladly consume it over the next few days regardless of what it is.
After its gone........its gone.... Back to the old grind :D

OK.....I think I need a wife, I admit it...... :lol:
Purdy

Next

Return to The Lounge