alcohol and grey hair

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

alcohol and grey hair

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:11 pm

well the other thread is already too long...just watched this on abc7
along with Barbara Bush's heart valve replacement, and now Robin Williams needs one...

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?secti ... id=6693535

stress causes grey hair????? I'll enjoy a beer or two!!!! My sister was totally white at my age...I have a minor streak....so what are the other reasons for grey hair?????????? :D or the fact that mine hasn't changed yet? :D
ncyg46

Postby HealthFreak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:30 pm

I'm an expert on the subject of gray hair. Mine looks like Anderson Cooper's, he's 41 years old I'm 47.

There was a podcast about the subject on NPR's Science Friday this week. A new study just came out saying that gray hair is caused by too much hydrogen peroxide. Our bodies produce a little bit of it, but if we produce too much it bleaches out the color from our hair.

The next step is to figure out why some people produce more hydrogen peroxide than others. The interviewee on the podcast said it was a major break through to find the mechanism that causes gray hair.
HealthFreak

Postby Donna R » Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:01 pm

a gastroenterologist told me vegetarians (or vegans, I don't remember) get white hair sooner. mine is "gray". I told him my mother had white hairs long before I did and she ate meat. I don't know where he heard that little tidbit.
~ Donna
Donna R

grey hair

Postby ncyg46 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:09 pm

i have dark hair...one slightly grey streak in the front. my family looks like skunks with a white strip all the way back but hasn't changed much yet. Hopefully it won't for a long time. I do not dye my hair...I am 62 and that photo is taken about a year ago.....so it's the same! well except for one stripe in the front unless i wear the stupid headband!!!! :D
ncyg46

Postby funcrunch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:17 pm

My hair would be salt-and-pepper if I didn't dye it - started going gray in my late 20s I think (I'm 39 now). Mother also had premature gray, has dyed her hair for as long as I can remember. She's never been vegetarian (though has eaten little meat for the last 20 years), I have been veg since age 22, so not sure if that's a factor or not...
funcrunch

Postby luvdachiess » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:40 pm

My Dad is completely white headed and has been as long as I can remember. I started greying in my late 20, blame it on the kids. =) But now I would be pretty much all grey if it was not for the dye, or I should say dye and highlights. I have only been vegan for about 4 years, my Dad or Mom would not think of a meal without meat. I think it mostly has to do with your family.
Teresa
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wHMutQn/]
[/url]
luvdachiess

Postby Daffodil » Fri Mar 06, 2009 2:24 am

In Victoria Boutenko's book "Green for life" she mentions about people taking in intense nutrients from greens that keeps hair from graying. That is the first book I ever bought related to green smoothies and got me interested in all of that.
I also started getting my first gray/white hairs at 23 and if I didn't dye my hair now and then, i'd be mostly gray/white by now. Which on me, with pale skin, isn't too flattering. I also don't want to look older than my husband. ;)
He is 60 and still isn't completly gray yet. So i think it's dependent on one's genes, plus maybe the green smoothie thing.
Daffodil

Postby HealthFreak » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:18 am

I started graying in my early twenties and I've only been vegan for two years.
HealthFreak

Postby Clary » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:32 am

HealthFreak wrote:I'm an expert on the subject of gray hair. Mine looks like Anderson Cooper's, he's 41 years old I'm 47.

There was a podcast about the subject on NPR's Science Friday this week. A new study just came out saying that gray hair is caused by too much hydrogen peroxide. Our bodies produce a little bit of it, but if we produce too much it bleaches out the color from our hair.

The next step is to figure out why some people produce more hydrogen peroxide than others. The interviewee on the podcast said it was a major break through to find the mechanism that causes gray hair.

Jeff posted a link to this "hydrogen peroxide" article on his Facebook page a few days ago, but now I can't find it...
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby HealthFreak » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:11 am

Here's a link to the NPR podcast. You can listen to it on your computer, you don't need to load it onto an MP3 player.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/stor ... t=1&f=1007

This is a link to an online article about it.

http://www.abc.net.au/science/articles/ ... pic=latest
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:18 am

Clary wrote:Jeff posted a link to this "hydrogen peroxide" article on his Facebook page a few days ago, but now I can't find it...

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/20 ... 131123.htm

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to The Lounge