Posting from McDougall Adventure in Costa Rica!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Posting from McDougall Adventure in Costa Rica!

Postby funcrunch » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:11 pm

Hey folks, I'm here with my husband and >75 other happy guests in beautiful Costa Rica enjoying our McDougall Adventure. I haven't been able to get online consistently but just posted a couple of entries about the trip to my blog at http://funcrunch.livejournal.com/. Heh, just as I was typing this the McDougalls walked by eating cake (oil-free and vegan of course!), and said hi. We had a great conversation with them over breakfast today which I'll write up later. Well I'd better post this while the Wifi is still up and working, cheers everyone... I'll post lots of photos after the trip...
funcrunch

Postby Letha » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:32 pm

How Fun! Sounds like you’re having a great time. I’m so happy for you.
Letha
Letha

Postby Clary » Sat Feb 07, 2009 2:32 pm

Thanks, funcrunch--

Looking forward to the photos.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby NanTzu » Sat Feb 07, 2009 6:16 pm

I am jealous! My daughter and I have been on quite a few McDougall trips. I know exactly where your room is. I actually have requested that spot. Right on the beach, close to a pool, and it's great exercise to get up the hill! The large lizards are ctenosaurs (pronounced ten-o-saur). They like to eat fruit and the jays do too. You must do the zipline. Dr. McDougall's grandson AND mother both did it one of the years I was there! Are Larry and Anne Wheat there? They own the Millenium restaurant & are friends of the McDougalls and are often on the trips. Tell John & Mary that Nancy and Mary Anne Woolley say hello from Austin!
NanTzu
What do you want to do today? Go Outside!
NanTzu

Postby lvixie » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:26 pm

Please say hello to Larry and June Cohen for me. From Colorado Springs, they are in your party.

Linda Vixie
lvixie

Costa Rica

Postby langerangersquared » Sat Feb 07, 2009 7:58 pm

Hey Funcrunch, How 'bout those homemade tortillas? "good eatin'," Don
langerangersquared

Postby funcrunch » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:54 pm

lvixie wrote:Please say hello to Larry and June Cohen for me. From Colorado Springs, they are in your party.

Linda Vixie

Hi Linda - I saw Larry and June on our boating trip a couple days ago but they didn't come on the Santa Rosa adventure today - if I see them again I will try to remember to tell them you said hi :-)

- funcrunch / Julie
funcrunch

Postby funcrunch » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:56 pm

NanTzu wrote:I am jealous! My daughter and I have been on quite a few McDougall trips. I know exactly where your room is. I actually have requested that spot. Right on the beach, close to a pool, and it's great exercise to get up the hill! The large lizards are ctenosaurs (pronounced ten-o-saur). They like to eat fruit and the jays do too. You must do the zipline. Dr. McDougall's grandson AND mother both did it one of the years I was there! Are Larry and Anne Wheat there? They own the Millenium restaurant & are friends of the McDougalls and are often on the trips. Tell John & Mary that Nancy and Mary Anne Woolley say hello from Austin!

Thanks for the info on the lizards! A lot of people have strongly encouraged me to do the zipline but I've decided I really do want to skip it; it's just not my thing. I am having a good time though. I don't remember if the Wheats are here, I will have to look at the picture board, I am so bad with names :-) I will try to remember to tell the McD's you said hi!

- funcrunch / Julie
funcrunch

Re: Costa Rica

Postby funcrunch » Sun Feb 08, 2009 6:58 pm

Don J. Brix wrote:Hey Funcrunch, How 'bout those homemade tortillas? "good eatin'," Don

I love the tortillas! Dr McD says he pretty much eats those 3-4 times a day here, and there's nothing wrong with that. I'm trying to eat different things at every meal though. I must admit, the desserts are definitely my favorites. ;-)

- funcrunch / Julie
funcrunch

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Feb 08, 2009 8:03 pm

Sherman and I were just talking about you. He said he heard there were hurricanes in Costa Rica, and we hoped they were not where you were.

We are surprised to hear that the water is cold. We also went in February a couple of years ago, and it was quite warm. We saw a mother and baby whale the day we went out on the snorkling boat.

Sherman loved the zip lines. I tried it and they were ok, but, yeah, not really my thing, either. We both enjoyed the students dancing, and we also danced a lot. The year we were there it was quite hot (for our tastes anyway) so we really enjoyed the evenings and could have danced all night. One day Shermand and I and a woman we met on the trip went down the hill to the little town and took a city bus into the city and just walked around talking to people and seeing what there was to see. We really enjoyed that. We visited government offices, and I had a nice conversation with a school kid in my bad Spanish.

Do say hello to the McDougalls for us.

Caroveggie and I were talking a few days ago and the one thing we failed to do was get everyone's e-mails who came to the brunch so we could more easily send out other invitations, so if you would like to be included in future events yet to be planned, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll compile a group list.
Vanilla Orchid

hey funcrunch!

Postby Caroveggie » Sun Feb 08, 2009 10:41 pm

thanks for posting in from the Costa Rica trip. Wish I could be there. I hope you guys have a blast and look forward to the pics.
Caroveggie

Postby funcrunch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:09 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Sherman and I were just talking about you. He said he heard there were hurricanes in Costa Rica, and we hoped they were not where you were.

No hurricanes where we were, but the wind was very strong almost the whole time. I saw on CNN that there were heavy rains and flooding in the Limón province, but it was all sunshine for us in Guanacaste!
Vanilla Orchid wrote:We are surprised to hear that the water is cold. We also went in February a couple of years ago, and it was quite warm. We saw a mother and baby whale the day we went out on the snorkling boat.

Yes, the water never did warm up, unfortunately. I would have loved to see whales!
Vanilla Orchid wrote:Sherman loved the zip lines. I tried it and they were ok, but, yeah, not really my thing, either. We both enjoyed the students dancing, and we also danced a lot. The year we were there it was quite hot (for our tastes anyway) so we really enjoyed the evenings and could have danced all night. One day Shermand and I and a woman we met on the trip went down the hill to the little town and took a city bus into the city and just walked around talking to people and seeing what there was to see. We really enjoyed that. We visited government offices, and I had a nice conversation with a school kid in my bad Spanish.

That sounds great. I am making a personal goal to improve my Spanish conversational skills so I feel more confident when traveling in Spanish-speaking countries.
Vanilla Orchid wrote:Do say hello to the McDougalls for us.

Caroveggie and I were talking a few days ago and the one thing we failed to do was get everyone's e-mails who came to the brunch so we could more easily send out other invitations, so if you would like to be included in future events yet to be planned, please e-mail me at [email protected] and I'll compile a group list.

I told Mary McD you said hi. I will e-mail you to get on the events list for sure!

- funcrunch / Julie
funcrunch

Re: hey funcrunch!

Postby funcrunch » Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:16 pm

Caroveggie wrote:thanks for posting in from the Costa Rica trip. Wish I could be there. I hope you guys have a blast and look forward to the pics.

Thanks - we did have a blast. I have finished posting my travelogue on my blog at http://funcrunch.livejournal.com/ , and photos are all up at http://flickr.com/photos/funcrunch/sets ... 549910770/ .

- funcrunch / Julie
funcrunch

Postby momof4 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 1:08 pm

Wow, funcrunch, those pictures are great!

Dr McDougall should be a role model for other doctors--I don't think they know what they're missing! He has patients that get well, and he gets to celebrate with them on these great trips. Awesome!
momof4

Postby Birdy » Sat Feb 14, 2009 1:24 pm

Julie thanks for posting your pictures. I really enjoyed them and it does look like everyone was having such a good time. What a beautiful setting.
"The program is essentially cost and risk free." ~ Dr. John McDougall
Birdy

Next

Return to The Lounge