What other books to read?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Quiver0f10 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 10:51 am

I just requested The China Study, The Pleasure Trap and Mad Cowboy from my library's inter-library loan serive. I will continue the list of books after I finish these 3. Thanks again!
Jean
Quiver0f10

Postby hope101 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:02 am

Have fun!

Vanilla Orchard, were you serious about wanting fiction suggestions? If so, what kind of fiction do you like? What are your top books ever? (I love to read, love even more to talk books. :D )

Letha--I loved that Schwartz book too. I suspect you and I would have a lot to talk about if we ever met in person, judging by your reading list.

Forgot to mention Mindless Eating by Brian Wansink. A very, very readable book with practical applications to everyday life.
hope101

Postby vwnut » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:36 pm

As I have mentioned on a previous thread I would recommend a book published last year called "Our Daily Meds". It was available in our public library and is a drug industry expose'. (sp)
"If it is a plant eat it; If it is made in a plant leave it."
vwnut

Postby walker1 » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:30 pm

I really liked Overdosed America by John Abramson. He talks about osteoporosis, Vioxx, etc. (I think the author has been to the 10-day to give a talk.)

I went veg after reading a couple of John Robbins books:
Diet for a New America
May All Be Fed
Reclaiming Our Health
I haven't read them in years, but I remember liking May All Be Fed the best of the three.

Nancy
walker1

Postby Ruth » Wed Jan 14, 2009 11:43 pm

I also have to chime in to recommend the China Study. It is eye-opening, and very readable.
Ruth

Postby Clary » Thu Feb 05, 2009 11:52 am

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Do any of these books have a plot? I like books with a plot.

They do...
How to track down and capture health! :wink:
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby VibrantVegan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:17 pm

Besides the books by McDougall, Barnard, and Campbell already mentioned I really like:

Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman

Never Be Sick Again by Raymond Francis

They both reinforce the diet disease connection and how important plant-based nutrition is for health and longevity.
Vibrant Vegan: An ebullient example of supreme health and fitness. A strong, fit, caring, compassionate, enthusiastic person who deliberately chooses to live a joyful, exuberant, vibrantly healthy, plant-powered life! www.vibrantvegan.com
VibrantVegan

Postby kpolninja » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:54 pm

Vegan Freak - Jenna and Bob Torres
Becomming Vegan - Brenda Davis and Vesanto Melina
Journey into Power - Baron Baptiste

Neil Barnards are great too.
kpolninja

Postby GreenLife » Fri May 22, 2009 4:03 pm

I wanted to thank everyone for these suggestions. I've jotted all of them down so I can look for them at the library or used book sales. I have so much to learn so I'm looking forward to delving right in. If there are any further book suggestions or comments, I'd really appreciate it as well.

:)
GreenLife

The Shack

Postby grangran7 » Sat May 23, 2009 9:09 am

I agree with the suggestion of The Last Lecture. It's a must read by everyone. If you want something with a plot give The Shack a flip through. Be sure to read the foreward. I thought it should have been Chapter 1. Got mine through Wal-Mart internet. Their charge for book delivery is much less than I can afford to drive to our nearest which is 35 miles away.

I'd never heard of The China Study! Where have I been? I'll be ordering it today!

Lunch at our house today is soup of lentils, unpeeled chopped potatoes, chopped carrots, chunked onion. It's one of those you can put almost anything in if you have it. These are just things my husband will eat as he isn't vegan. :-(

Everyone keep putting on those great posts. They're such a help and encouragement to me! Thanks!
grangran7

Postby Melinda » Sat May 23, 2009 10:33 am

I read "the Shack" and loved it!
Melinda

Postby TominTN » Sat May 23, 2009 1:34 pm

Vanilla Orchid wrote:Do any of these books have a plot? I like books with a plot.

Yes! Clary mentioned one plot. Another plot is how the marketing, food, and drug industries interact to make and keep the populace of developed countries ill. As the SAD has been exported more and more widely across the world, the plot has come to affect more and more of the world's population.

I recently read The End of Overeating by Dr. David Kessler, former head of the Food and Drug Administration. In it he explains how modern processed foods consist of layers of sugar, fat, and salt, and how those substances trigger our central nervous systems in ways that make the foods "hyperpalatable". He does a good job of explaining why such foods are so difficult to resist, why "you can't eat just one."

I was disappointed toward the end where he suggested that once one has escaped slavery to such foods, it's possible to eat them in moderation. I am convinced that for me, it's not. Every time in the past, when I have tasted a little, I have always wanted more. So I find it easier to keep it clean.

Also, he advocates eating meat and dairy. :(

However, I found most of the book very helpful with regard to understanding how modern restaurant and processed foods interact with our brain circuitry to push us into behaviors we don't want to be doing. As long as you don't take his food recommendations seriously, the science he presents is interesting and helpful.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Postby Ruth » Sat May 23, 2009 3:39 pm

The China Study amazed me, too. And, yes, it kind of has a plot! I loved reading T Colin Campbell's account of how he worked in research trying to develop a high-protein supplement for malnourished children, before realizing that high-protein was the problem, not the solution. Fascinating story! It's not just dry facts.
Ruth

The End of Overeating

Postby PamM » Tue May 26, 2009 9:40 am

Tom, I was of two minds about whether to recommend this book. It sure does make the point about why these foods are addictive, but we pretty much already knew that from Doug Lisle. And I think he's going about the "cure" the hard way, from a nutritional standpoint, by advocating a diet with meat and dairy in it -- he even gives an example where a snack could be an ounce of cheese. Oh, suuuuuure -- I have never in my life eaten 1 oz of cheese!! Cuz it's salt layered on fat! (Not to mention those opioids that Dr Barnard taught us about.)

McDougall actually seems like the *perfect* diet to me for getting over conditioned hypereating, because not only does it not have any of the triggers in it, but it also offers serotonin-rich starches, and he discusses how the one good thing fen-phen did for people was to stop cravings, probably because it raised serotonin.

But I do think that the cognitive strategies he suggests could be helpful to some. In fact, I think if I'd been aware of the true danger of dabbling in "bad" foods, and of these strategies for staying away from that, I would never have gotten off track with my own McDougalling.

Sorry this got so long -- I guess the bottom line is that I'd recommend taking a look at The End of Overeating, as long as you totally skip the nutrition part!

Pam
PamM

Postby Melinda » Tue May 26, 2009 11:24 am

I took a good long look at this book, but decided not to buy it - the main reason is that it seemed to focus a lot on chain restaurants and take out meals. I guess I'm a bit of a foodie, in that I never feel the desire to eat out in a restaurant unless the food is made from scratch and that is how it has been for me for at least 20 years. The only exception is Subway, when we are on the road, and that is just for convenience. I only consider eating out as money that is well spent if it is better than something I would make at home. Now that we are Mcdougalling, we only go out for veg sushi - I do wish there was a Millenium in BC!
Melinda

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge