Negative Article on Wikipedia

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Negative Article on Wikipedia

Postby Dan M » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:28 am

A friend of mine sent this the other day. No doubt my post will be deleted, but I am a supporter of Dr. McDougall, his work, and the program. Stuff like what's written on the page that's linked below is annoying to see.
Is there a way to get it corrected? I know, I can edit it, but they will probably change it back.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_A._McDougall
Dan M

Re: Negative Article on Wikipedia

Postby Dougalling » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:37 am

Hi
I clicked on the lock icon at the top of the wiki article and saw this:

" Semi-protection
See also: Wikipedia:Rough guide to semi-protection
Silver padlock
Policy shortcuts
WP:SEMI
WP:SILVERLOCK
Semi-protection prevents edits from unregistered users (IP addresses), as well as edits from any account that is not autoconfirmed (at least four days old and has made at least ten edits to Wikipedia) or confirmed. This level of protection is useful when there is a significant amount of disruption or vandalism from new or unregistered users, or to prevent sockpuppets of blocked or banned users from editing, especially when it occurs on biographies of living persons who have had a recent high level of media interest. An alternative to semi-protection is pending changes, which is sometimes favored when an article is being vandalized regularly, but otherwise receives a low amount of editing.

Such users can request edits to a semi-protected page by proposing them on its talk page, using the {{Edit semi-protected}} template if necessary to gain attention. If the page in question and its talk page are both protected, please make your edit request at Wikipedia:Request for edit instead. New users may also request the confirmed user right by visiting Requests for permissions " "

You place {{Edit semi-protected}} at the beginning of your 'talk' response.
and
" Please sign and date your posts by typing four tildes ( ~~~~ ). "
Just ~~~~

Since the article has been there for so long, I would use:
If the page in question and its talk page are both protected, please make your edit request at Wikipedia:Request for edit instead
Last edited by Dougalling on Tue Feb 25, 2020 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Dougalling

Postby JeffN » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:58 am

This has been covered many times. You are welcome to try again but we run into the same problem each time

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=57596

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby John McDougall » Sun Feb 23, 2020 6:12 pm

To set the record straight. (Unfortunately, I lost the article, a book review, from Kurt Butler and my response in the New York Times (NYT) in the CA wildfires of 2017.) Kurt Butler is the primary source of evidence behind the Wikipedia piece (see reference 10).

But as I remember: Butler was an unemployed beach bum from Hawaii with no credentials. The NYT book reviewers were eager for any articles that defamed another book (the editor admitted this to me), and that they did no investigation as to the source of my critique (Butler). I showed them the evidence in person on a visit to their New York offices. As a slight token of apology the NYT let me write a rebuttal to the original review; which is against the usual policy of the NYT book review section.

The Wikipedia piece claims of deficiencies from The McDougall Diet (B12 added) are false, and the science of old and new proves that. If you are in doubt read the newsletter articles and books I have written and review the evidence I cited for yourself.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Return to The Lounge