Simple question: How long do you think you will live?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Simple question: How long do you think you will live?

Postby Drew_ab » Wed May 22, 2019 9:08 pm

It's all in the title. How long do you think you will live and why?
Drew_ab

Re: Simple question: How long do you think you will live?

Postby gracezw » Wed May 22, 2019 9:40 pm

How do you answer this question?

Drew_ab wrote:It's all in the title. How long do you think you will live and why?
gracezw

Postby viv » Thu May 23, 2019 4:57 am

I will live to 96 or thereabouts. I don't necessarily want to live that long, but my body will keep going until then. BM (Before McDougalling) I expected to live to about 80. But that has been upgraded now that I'm healthy.

Recently I did one of those "Real Age" type questionnaires and the result was 16 years younger than my current age. My BMI is 23, I have zero aches and pains, my digestion is good, all my labs are good, I take no medication except thyroid, my brain is good, I work full time,and I expect to keep working until 80 at least. I have lots of energy, I work, I dance and I can whizz around the dance floor like a much younger person. My mental health is good, (I meditate etc). So yes, all in all 96 sounds pretty good!

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby pundit999 » Thu May 23, 2019 10:53 am

Let us say 85 for me.

I did reverse my heart disease but I am sure I damaged my body a lot before coming to this side.
My father lived to be 82. So a few years after that is good enough for me.
pundit999

Postby patty » Thu May 23, 2019 10:54 am

I love in Dr. McDougall's MS online video, he shares we don't talk about dying a natural death. And I hope to have all my organs intact, and shut down at the same time. I will be happy if that happens. Of course I would love to live independently to my very last breath. But those are just wishes. Working with Clients who make their physical transition, I know when they have their last breath, a glow starts to appear. And I realize whatever they have gone through is worth it. So each day I try to get out of myself where the ordinary decline becomes extraordinary. I pray for a boring life. I have a 80 year old Client that has AL, and when I asked how old he is, he said, "40". I thought oh yes I am 38. Age/space/time is a man made concept. Success is the food, as we are a flowering consciousness. Starch allows the satiety to be kind.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby PJK » Thu May 23, 2019 10:55 am

Of course, no one knows for sure. But you can use actuarial tables to get an estimate.

These tables are used by insurance companies, government agencies and others.

For example, here's one from the US Social Security Admin...you find your age, and it shows you how many more years you are likely to live. Again, that's "likely," not definitely...it's based on overall population stats, not your individual health, diet, etc.

https://www.ssa.gov/oact/STATS/table4c6.html
PJK

Postby openmind » Thu May 23, 2019 11:38 am

I don't like to think about how long I'll live, just how happy and healthy I'll be no matter how many seconds, days, weeks,.months, years or decades I may have left.
openmind

Postby sirdle » Thu May 23, 2019 12:29 pm

About 1 week after my retirement money runs out. :wink: ... sometime in my early 70s, I'd guess.
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby JeffN » Thu May 23, 2019 1:37 pm

I am 60. I always say I will live to 73 in very good health at which time I will be accidentally run over by a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream truck. A cosmic joke.

Here is another great calculator done by Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance. They are betting quite a bit of money that they are getting these numbers right. It is interesting to go through the questionnaire and see how much they think each item impacts your results positive or negatively.

https://media.nmfn.com/tnetwork/lifespan/#0

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby sirdle » Thu May 23, 2019 1:54 pm

JeffN wrote:I am 60. I always say I will live to 73 in very good health at which time I will be accidentally run over by a Ben & Jerry’s ice cream truck. A cosmic joke.

Funny. :-P

JeffN wrote:Here is another great calculator done by Northwestern Mutual Life Insurance. They are betting quite a bit of money that they are getting these numbers right. It is interesting to go through the questionnaire and see how much they think each item impacts your results positive or negatively.

In Health
Jeff

Some of the questions seem rather broad.

Here is a calculator that is more specific. Doesn't mean it's any better, of course, but I thought it was more fun.

Says I'll live to 97.8! Now if I can just find a rich uncle on the Keto diet... :-P

https://exrx.net/Calculators/HealthAge

Cheers,
Rick
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby landog » Fri May 24, 2019 5:57 am

JeffN wrote: It is interesting to go through the questionnaire and see how much they think each item impacts your results positive or negatively.

It was interesting! Quitting smoking can add 8 years to your life.

My result was: 92.

..and 95.4

I should have started saving for retirement earlier!

The ExRx calculator (the latter one) shows my that life expectancy jumps up to 98.4 years if I change my "Omega 3 Fatty Acids (eg: fatty fish, grass fed meats, flax seeds, etc." from rare consumption to daily consumption.
landog

Postby geo » Fri May 24, 2019 5:00 pm

I have no interest in dying, its just a nasty, messy, untidy thing to do so why even bother with it ;) I expect to live forever, simply because I have way too many more things I want to do in this life...it just seems far more productive to figure out what you can get done today and just do it...tomorrow will always be here and I plan on that being true for myself as well.

However, if something unwelcomed or untoward should happen to me....don't worry, I promise not to be a burden :nod:

PS:

Enter your actual age

Typical Life Expectancy*
Your Life Expectancy
Your Health Age

Your itemized scores (years)
Personal
Medical
CAD
Diet
Psych
Safety
Total
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby sirdle » Fri May 24, 2019 6:57 pm

geo wrote:109.2
Your Life Expectancy

You Rock Geo!
sirdle

Postby geo » Sat May 25, 2019 3:25 am

OK, so I redid the test using values from when I was 54 and eating/living the SAD lifestyle:

Enter your actual age
Typical Life Expectancy*
Your Life Expectancy
Your Health Age

Personal
Medical
CAD
Diet
Psych
Safety
Total

So I've gone from a potential life expectancy of 60.4 years as a SAD person to 109.2 years as a McDougaller...thats a 48.8 year potential life expectancy increase as a McDougaller plus I'm 8 years older to begin with :-)

And I've gone from feeling like I'm 75 at the age of 54 to feeling like im 35.8 at the age of 62!

Can I do more? Yep always...lifes an adventure now...thats more than I could ever say before...

So is McDougalling worth it?...ask me in 50 years ...I'm not going anywhere... :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby gracezw » Sat May 25, 2019 8:14 am

Geo, this is awesome and inspiring! I will share with my family about the comparison!

geo wrote:OK, so I redid the test using values from when I was 54 and eating/living the SAD lifestyle:

Enter your actual age
Typical Life Expectancy*
Your Life Expectancy
Your Health Age

Personal
Medical
CAD
Diet
Psych
Safety
Total

So I've gone from a potential life expectancy of 60.4 years as a SAD person to 109.2 years as a McDougaller...thats a 48.8 year potential life expectancy increase as a McDougaller plus I'm 8 years older to begin with :-)

And I've gone from feeling like I'm 75 at the age of 54 to feeling like im 35.8 at the age of 62!

Can I do more? Yep always...lifes an adventure now...thats more than I could ever say before...

So is McDougalling worth it?...ask me in 50 years ...I'm not going anywhere... :nod:
gracezw

Next

Return to The Lounge