Vitamin D Mentioned in The Starch Solution

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Vitamin D Mentioned in The Starch Solution

Postby DenverGuy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 12:14 pm

On page 159 he says that white people who expose a lot of skin to the sun in the summer get up to 10,000 IU of vitamin D, but that we only need 200. But on the next page he says that his wife was a little low on D, and that's after being in the sun a lot.
Any thoughts on the message here? I think this is me just missing something.
DenverGuy

Re: Vitamin D Mentioned in The Starch Solution

Postby John McDougall » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:00 pm

The intention was to explain to the reader that vitamin D values (numbers) are irrelevant and should not be the goal of treatment. Note: in this chapter I discuss the insufficient vitamin D numbers found in surfers, from Hawaii, spending all day in the sun. Please re-read my materials on vitamin D. A good beginning is my March 2015 newsletter.

See: https://www.drmcdougall.com/misc/2015nl/mar/150300.htm

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby DenverGuy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 1:56 pm

Many thanks.
DenverGuy

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Feb 18, 2019 2:11 pm

I am still not clear. Is Dr. McD saying no matter how low your vitamin D levels are if you are truly eating a WFPB diet and you are not an elderly frail woman, you should ignore and never take Vit D supplements. Please clarify! I have seen many ppl here post that even though they are eating a McD diet with strict compliance, they still supplement with Vit. D. Are these ppl doing themselves harm by supplementing?
Poison Ivy

Postby John McDougall » Mon Feb 18, 2019 5:24 pm

I am saying that you need sunshine and your vitamin D levels may reflect your adequacy of UV light on your skin. But, maybe not.

Studies consistently show that raising D levels in the blood by pills or injections causes more harm than good (more falls and fracture, for example for those on supplementation). Begin with my March 2015 newsletters.

Likewise, most importantly, is that chronic inflammation (most commonly and severely caused by the Western Diet) produces substances in the body that lower vitamin D levels (numbers). The correct response is to fix the problems (bad food and/or lack of sunshine). Not waste money on harmful supplements.

John McDougall, MD
John McDougall
Site Admin

Postby mountain » Tue Feb 19, 2019 8:09 pm

I have never taking Vit D supplements until about half a year ago. And I noticed tremendous improvement in my Lichen Planus as well as my Psoriasis. I didn't change anything else, still eating 99 % WFPBNO. I am not happy to take Vit. D but I sure like the improvement of my conditions.
mountain

Postby LibbyinIsrael » Wed Feb 20, 2019 5:24 am

First let me say to Dr. McDougall how grateful I am for his free website and his amazing guidance which has made our family's health immensely better. About Vit. D, I maintain my right to vigorously disagree, based on personal experience and much supporting research which does exist in the literature.

By the way, none of us should forget that sunshine has many benefits beyond Vit. D status -- from circadian rythyms to mood control and far beyond.

Similar to many, I am not wealthy enough to spend much time in the sunshine -- at most, a daily walk of half an hour, but that's not usually at a sunny hour.
Similar to many, I have to work for a living, and like all but some manual laborers, my work is indoors, including most or all of the daylight hours.
No vacations ever possible for me, due to job, family, and lack of funds.
Unlike many, I dress modestly all year round, meaning only my face, neck, and back of hands exposed in summer, and only face exposed in winter (collar and gloves to keep warm!).
Also for many, worth remembering that in the U.S. around 50% of the population lives north, meaning 3-6 months of the year no "Vit D useful" sunshine (think New York, Boston, Chicago, Cleveland, etc). (OK -- ballpark estimates there).

Even though I have eaten strictly according to Dr. McDougall for nearly nine years, my Vit. D status would be in the "undetectable" range without taking simple and cheap D3 drops (as it was before I started taking them). My subjective experience is that I am much more resistant to colds and such with my better D status. I'm not doing this for stronger bones or avoiding fractures -- I know those are more dependent on getting weight-bearing exercise, good diet, etc.

I started with 10,000 units a day, and by checking once a year, got to a stable 40-50 level of D status, which I maintain by taking now 4000 units five days a week. My husband has had almost exactly the same response to supplementation. That has kept our D status stable for the last several years. Of course, I will never know about how many other problems I have avoided (cancer, etc.) due to D versus diet, but I'd rather be safe than sorry!

What I'm saying is that what Dr. McDougall says again and again about getting "bare" sunshine is great for his family, but just not doable for most of us. I see no difference between this and Vit.B12 (which we also take), in terms of cheap and easy "insurance". No need to feel bad or apologetic by anybody who makes their calculations like we have.

Thanks again to the McDougalls for all the information, recipes, etc, etc.!!
LibbyinIsrael

Postby sirdle » Wed Feb 20, 2019 11:04 pm

LibbyinIsrael wrote:What I'm saying is that what Dr. McDougall says again and again about getting "bare" sunshine is great for his family, but just not doable for most of us. I see no difference between this and Vit.B12 (which we also take), in terms of cheap and easy "insurance". No need to feel bad or apologetic by anybody who makes their calculations like we have.

John McDougall wrote:The intention was to explain to the reader that vitamin D values (numbers) are irrelevant and should not be the goal of treatment. Note: in this chapter I discuss the insufficient vitamin D numbers found in surfers, from Hawaii, spending all day in the sun. Please re-read my materials on vitamin D. A good beginning is my March 2015 newsletter.

See: Vitamin D Supplements Are Harmful—Sunshine and Food Determine Health

Truly. It is a great article.

Also, the linked articles are very good...

Vitamin D: Values for Normal Are Exaggerated
Vitamin D Pills Are of Little or No Benefit and Some Harm. So What to Do Now?
Low Vitamin D: One Sign of Sunlight Deficiency
Sunny Days, Keeping Those Clouds Away…

Also, Jeff has some very nice forums on this issue...

Vitamin D Consenus
Calcium supplements?
Vit D supplements

Cheers,
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby Perla » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:56 am

Thank you for starting this thread. I have a patch of psoriasis that I've had for several years that I cannot get rid of. During the last year it has gotten worse and is spreading. I've recently read that low vitamin D levels are part of the problem. Back in December my blood test showed my vitamin D level as being 12. I'm outside most of the day during summer and fall and I do not wear sun screen so I don't know why my level should be so low. I live in Pennsylvania so there is no sun this time of year. I've read Dr. McDougall's recommendation about vitamin D but I'm not sure I shouldn't be supplementing to try to raise my level. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Perla
Perla

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 8:14 am

I live in Indianapolis, and do not supplement. I view Vitamin D much as I would any other nutrient - get it the way nature intended, from food (or in this case, appropriate sun exposure). Our favorite gurus have already written at length about it. Yes, many of us work indoors and/or live in northern latitudes, but with some thought and priority getting outside a reasonable amount can be managed, just the same way that planning ahead will give us healthy food instead of going through a drive thru. Here there is not much productive sunshine from October - April, and we’re all bundled up anyway, but getting outdoors in summer should get us what we need if we make the effort.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Lyndzie » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:06 am

Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby mountain » Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:09 am

Perla, did you read my post about the improvement of my LIchen Planus and Psoriasis. Both improved to only about 10 % left of the original problem.
Might we worth a try to see if it helps you to take it.
Petra
mountain

Return to The Lounge