Why The Seminars and Special Programs?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Why The Seminars and Special Programs?

Postby DenverGuy » Tue Jan 15, 2019 12:23 pm

I love Doctor McDougall's books, videos, and advice. I think he's one of the best. But I am wondering what the need is for his programs and things like the McDougall Weekend Intensive.
If someone just reads and follows "The Starch Solution," isn't that enough?
Just curious as I think I am missing something.
DenverGuy

Re: Why The Seminars and Special Programs?

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Jan 15, 2019 1:36 pm

Call me super nerdy, but I would LOVE to go to the advanced study weekend. A chance to meet the people we hear about and be surrounded by people who eat the same way, it would be a little oasis of yummy food and friends. A vacation to California where I didn’t have to make “exceptions” for every meal? I’d love it!
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Yomom » Tue Jan 15, 2019 2:56 pm

The programs are great. You get to hear the live talks and cooking demos from everyone, plus interact informally with those speakers plus attendees, both between the talks and at meals. The food is totally compliant of course, tastes great and gives inspiration for recipes to try at home. Trading stories and anecdotes with other McDougallers over breakfast, lunch and dinner encourages a nice cameraderie: “We are not alone!”

Over the years I have attended the 5-day, Advanced Study Weekend, 10-day and 3-day programs. All of this reinforcement allows me know exactly how John McDougall, Jeff Novick and Anthony Lim would react if I tried to eat or buy off-program foods. When I cook, I can emulate Jeff Novick, Mary McDougall, Cathy Fisher, Heather McDougall and Jill Nussinow. Doug Lisle’s voice is the one I hear in my head when someone starts dissing me about what I do and do not eat. It all helps me to stay compliant - they have become the voices in my head.
Yomom

Postby Vegankit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 6:54 pm

I'm someone who read the book. I read most of his books. I read everything on this website including many years of posts and responses. I also had serious health issues when I started so I had an extra incentive to get on board, fully understand this way of eating and not cheat or worse, go back to eating the Standard American Diet. I didn't need the special programs.

But I can understand others do need it. We learn in different ways. For someone struggling to stay on the diet at home, going to the 10 day with only appropriate food available may be exactly what they need to get past the pleasure trap of junk food. Others do better listening to lectures instead of reading a book. Cooking lessons in person can be more powerful than recipes for someone who is new to cooking, especially with some tricky techniques like sautéing without oil. I found the discussion board welcoming and friendly when I first began but others do better making contact in person and sharing the adventure of going through the program with others. There are lots of reasons. Plus we all benefit when some of the videos made at these events are shared on YouTube.

The advanced study weekend is very special - I would love to attend this in person one day. Dr. McDougall brings in a variety of guest speakers - not all of them share this way of eating. Makes for a thought provoking weekend.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby viv » Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:24 pm

As yomom says “We are not alone!” I would so love to attend any of the McDougall programs, but alas time and resources do not allow it for me at this time. For many of us we are going at this alone and this forum may be the only way we can connect with our "tribe". Following the no oil Starch Solution can be challenging socially and may weaken the resolve but attending a McDougall program and seeing all our heroes live and center stage would I imagine be so reinforcing. It must be a wonderful feeling to connect up front and in person with so many like minded people who are following this journey. In the scheme of things we are few and far between and staying connected is important.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby abit » Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:38 pm

:-D
Last edited by abit on Tue Feb 12, 2019 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
abit

Postby f1jim » Wed Jan 16, 2019 8:22 am

I followed the McDougall diet for years without attending the 10 day program. I assure you, the program is worth the cost and more.
First and foremost you spend 10 days assured that 100% of your diet is on plan. It's delicious and worry free. You will come back with favorites that you can utilize at home.
Second, you are wrapped in the medical and nutritional information tailored specifically to your needs. Your unique issues are addressed and suggestions are made.
Third, as mentioned, there is a chemistry that develops between the attendees that all who go speak about. It's real and palpable.
You will make friends for life.
I attended after being asked so many questions about the programs I was embarrassed to say I hadn't gone. I was so impressed with the professionalism and attention to detail that I saw every step of the way from walking in the door to the group picture as we left.
There is no price that can replicate the one on one experience of these programs. Being able to ask questions and probe each staff member all day was incredible. Just ask yourself what questions would you ask Jeff Novick if you hung around with him all day? After attending I fully realized the value of attending. You will too.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jan 16, 2019 11:06 am

Of course the books are enough. The first time I got into McDougalling was in the 90's and this website didn't exist. I bought the original yellow "The McDougall Plan" book and started in January of '95 and it was terrific! So much energy. And not a single other person in my circle was following it, so I did it alone...well, my family ate what I fixed for food, so they were there, but not "into it" at all. I was the cook, so they ate what I made. That was a temporary success story, and it came about with only the book and my determination.

It was temporary because I got off the wagon after about nine months, and it was 15 or so years later that I picked it up again. This time there's a stunning website with so much support, and the free plan is available on the home page so if I didn't already own the book, I could follow McDougall without even that expenditure.

But my dream is to attend a weekend. I would LOVE to do a 10 day, but more within my budget it will probably be a three day, the Advanced Weekend with the professionals and loads of information. I can only imagine how "into it" I would be after such an event. Nothing like a seminar or conference to fuel your passion.

Yes, you can follow this plan for free or at the most, for the cost of a book. Thank you, Dr M for this gift. Nothing like it in the world. But I know I'd benefit tremendously, beyond my imagination, at a weekend seminar. Some day, for SURE!
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby patty » Wed Jan 16, 2019 12:49 pm

Imagine living your life span to your fullest without losing your cognitive thought, physical ability and independence to your very last breath. That is the payoff, and it includes going to any lengths. Starch is the corner stone.

Aloha, patty
patty

Postby Hal » Wed Jan 16, 2019 3:47 pm

I'm stable on the WEO. For me, the value of the programs will be the ability to sample all the recipes that are McDougall approved. There's no way to tell which recipes are going to become a useful staple without sampling.

So for the 'kitchen ignorant', such as myself, attending the programs will be really helpful - basically anyome who spent years eating pizza and burgers to avoid cooking. I have found that only half of the recipes I try making taste good enough to be a staple, and I think that's my bad cooking, so sampling WEO prepared by McDougall cooks would be well worth attending for me.

There is also the time and/or effort equation to apply to each recipe that slows me down when searching for my favotie recipes.
The more time and effort a recipe takes, the more important it is to know ahead of time if it's a favorite or not. If it's a favorite, then any amount of time and effort is potentially OK. It's a matter of knowing the full equation for the more involved recipes.

So I can't wait to sample all the WEO recipes in person at a program.
I'll sample the most complex recipes while I can, and then work my way down.

Incidentally - I often daydream about a McDougall's restaurant in my niehborhood where people can go to dine and then get the recipes of what they order. We are hopefully close to having enough folk to teach by example as data points. It the public sees healthy people at every age going in and out of 'McDougall's' while they are waddling in and out of 'Fatburder's' they're going to notice.

If the public sees WOEers dooing well, they will be compelled to consider shaking their addiction. :) The rest would be easy if they can start eating the food professionally and collecting recipes form the beginning. I have heard it said that a lot of people in New York do no cooking of their own, and many have never really 'cooked' more than toast or cereal.
Hal

Postby healthyvegan » Fri Jan 18, 2019 1:37 am

you'd be surprised what the difference is in person vs reading. I didn't have youtube when I started McDougalling 20 years ago and I went on a McDougall Costa Rica trip and the lectures were life changing & then attended a few Advanced Study Weekends which really upped my comprehension. Now you can watch many of these lectures online, but being immersed is a different experience entirely.
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby Willijan » Sat Jan 19, 2019 11:18 am

I have been on the program for over 6 years, very successfully, and most of that time I only used Dr. McDougall's books. I also read books by T. Colin Campbell, Caldwell Esselstyn, Dean Ornish, and others. Eventually, I read more on the website. So I don't think everyone needs to go to the 10-day or ASWs to succeed.
However, I failed when I first tried this in the 1980s, and I think it was partly because I didn't understand how to do it in a way I could tolerate based on the books available at the time. Time, experience, and the book The Starch Solution made the difference in helping me succeed. I don't think I need the 10-day at all now.
I do think it would be fun and inspiring to go there. But I really don't want to fly across the country these days. And it is expensive.
Some people I am sure actually need to go there. They may be less experienced with cooking and ideas about healthy diets, they may be less motivated, or whatever. Having all those different recipes to try without having to cook would be great. Being "forced" to eat right for 10 days, and seeing the immediate results, is very helpful I'm sure.
I think if you try the program, you read the rationale for why it's the best way to be healthy, and you succeed, you may not need more. It depends on the individual.
Willijan

Return to The Lounge