Hawaii will be one of the states that has death with dignity

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Hawaii will be one of the states that has death with dignity

Postby patty » Mon Oct 22, 2018 9:28 pm

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia ... awaii.html

The person has to be terminally ill and have only six months to live. They have to be able to make the decision and they themselves take the pill.

Hopefully it will make people take care of themselves. They will want to be of sound mind, and hopefully the situation unnecessary. Dr McDougell shares no one wants to talk about a natural death. Maybe this will bring about the conversation.

Aloha, patty
patty

Re: Hawaii will be one of the states that has death with dig

Postby gracezw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:18 am

That is good to know! Thank you for sharing!
gracezw

Postby jay kaye » Tue Oct 23, 2018 8:05 pm

California and Oregon have similar laws.

J
jay kaye

Postby gracezw » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:23 pm

Patty, I sent you a PM again. Please check. Thanks!
gracezw

Postby patty » Wed Oct 24, 2018 12:59 pm

jay kaye wrote:California and Oregon have similar laws.

J

Still what is scary, is the fact money can come first, health second. I have worked where I have questioned "What is Hospice doing here?" Families become paralyzed when taking care of a love one, from the time and cost of uncertainty of how long it will last. The families that do the best, is where a separate trust is set up to take care of the loved one, and can't be touched by anyone. A third party handles it. Still the person and they are influenced by the family. Hawaii is a missionary state, and it took 20 years for the law too pass. Well at least it opens the conversation. I have seen amazing care in keeping a loved one comfortable, fed and loved to the very last moment of their life. I have witnessed many deaths, and it always amazes me the peace that is resonated. The body takes over, where even medication is not needed though it is still pushed. And like my children, feeding tubes for the loved ones are requested and supported because of the difficulty in letting go. Again the conversation is what is important.

Aloha, patty
patty

Return to The Lounge