Apps For Eating Out

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Apps For Eating Out

Postby f1jim » Fri Jul 20, 2018 10:43 pm

The go to apps we usually recommend for eating out are:
HealthyOut
Happy Cow

They have saved me while on the road traveling. I do need an update from a member that owns an iphone. Can you check if the HealthyOut app still charges for the Apple version, and if you have it does it list the "Forks Over Knives" diet as an option? It's been a while since we had someone try it on the Apple side and I was hoping it eventually matches the Android version for diet choices. Also the Android version is free. I'd love to see the Apple version also be no charge.
I'd appreciate it if someone here could find out on their phone.
Thanks
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Apps For Eating Out

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 1:48 am

Just checked it out. HealthyOut is free. Vegsn and vegetarian are options, but not Forks Over Knives. Maybe it works better in other cities, but the accuracy for this location was awful.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby f1jim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:00 am

That's good news about the price AND Vegan is an option. Can you be more specific about accuracy?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby Lyndzie » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:31 am

Oh man, I think it was user error. I checked the app out while I was up in the middle of the night, and it only listed two options, but I think it was the only restaurants open at 4 in the morning! Lots more listed at lunch time.

The app seems predominantly focused in chain restaurants. Does it list local choices, too?
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby f1jim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:54 am

It should list local options. In fact, the Android version asks you if you want to include fast food places.
The app is why I can eat in my hometown!
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:05 pm

I just added Healthy Out, and maybe I have to play around with it, but it didn't seem to perform all that well.

Anyway, another good app is Vanilla Bean. Check it out.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby draperbr » Mon Jul 23, 2018 12:30 pm

I also downloaded and installed this app for iOS after seeing this thread, and it mainly lists chains in this area (Detroit Metro). There are several local vegan restaurants, but I could not find a single one listed unfortunately.
draperbr

Return to The Lounge