Getting a Sampling of the McDougall Program

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Getting a Sampling of the McDougall Program

Postby f1jim » Tue Jul 17, 2018 10:17 am

Almost every day I look over the new members that have joined us as members in the last 24 hours. It's gratifying to see we will be well beyond 18,000 members that have signed up since this all started in at this location in 2006.
I am reminded that I was introduced to Dr. McDougalls program around 30 years ago and promptly discarded the message!
After heart disease I looked at the program with a completely different perspective.
My point is those new members that sign up and read the material here may or may not embrace the program immediately. Many will be like me and find no value in what is written. It will only be after some time has passed and perhaps some life events may contribute to looking at the information with new eyes. Never discount the fact that we may not be ready at this exact moment but perhaps our time is coming in the future. I know I am not the only one to have not been ready when first introduced to the benefits of healthy eating. There are millions of us stuck in that holding pattern till the time is right. I only hope most of us don't wait as long as I did to reap the benefits and stave off the damage.
Many will look at the percentage that fully embrace the program as depressingly low. But the numbers change over time and the acceptance factor for this way of eating only increases with time.
How long did it take for your light bulb moment?
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Re: Getting a Sampling of the McDougall Program

Postby f00die » Tue Jul 17, 2018 4:23 pm

took about 5 years to convince myself
it wasnt a quacks and shills show
then a couple of years "experimenting"
i was afraid of "wrecking my health"
by eating too much starchy food
ppl around me said id get "diabetes"
finally i gave it a real try, no exceptions
and i felt awesome, more than i normally felt
and its easy, and satisfying, and tasty
only positive changes so far
thx
f00die

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:57 pm

I read Dr. M's books and Dr. O's books back in 94 but wasn't ready for the idea. Or rather I thought vegetarianism good enough. I hadn't gotten really ill yet, although some of my issues gave me plenty of trouble. That's why I began reading health books in the first place. It took totally losing my health to finally remove dairy and eggs and oil. I had to have my cake, cookies, and quesadillas; don't you know?
Grammy Ginger

Postby Idgie » Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:25 pm

When I became an Seventh-day Adventist at around 16 years old (nearly 40 years ago), I also became a vegetarian and I quickly found The McDougall Plan. I embraced it whole-heartedly, but then over the years, I came and went with this way of eating. I always feel better when I'm eating this way, so I always come back. (I'm no longer an Adventist, but the teachings of McDougall, Pritikin, and Ornish have stuck with me.)
Idgie, Southern CA
My recipes (mostly MWL) are at https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=58361&p=586527#p586527
My new MWL-only recipe site is at http://mwlrecipes.weebly.com
Idgie

Postby MINNIE » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:40 pm

How long did it take for your light bulb moment?

Hah! About five minutes after I bought The Starch Solution!

I am not joking. I read most of the book in one sitting - at the bookstore - and decided to implement it right away.

I just knew this was going to right for me.

It was, and I have never gone off plan since.

Again -not joking.

Of course five minutes after I bought The Starch Solution was five minutes plus many decades after living with some level of sickness at all times. :roll:

Live and learn :).

It
MINNIE

Postby geo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:25 pm

...about 55 years, then lurking these forums for a few months and finally deciding I was sick and tired of being sick and tired before I tried it lol.

Results speak for themselves. Miracles do happen when they are backed by science, faith and simply doing the right thing.
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Postby bunsofaluminum » Wed Jul 18, 2018 2:33 pm

My first inkling that the McDougall Plan existed was around Christmas of 1994. Bought the book in Jan '95 and gave it a real good go, sticking to it solidly for nine months. I lost weight and I had SO MUCH ENERGY. Snowball fights, baseball games, walks, sparkling clean house. But it slipped away partly because my family wasn't into it, and partly because I got out of "diet mentality" which is where I had been all along. It never was "the way I eat" but a "diet" ...hence, no lightbulb.

Years later, the summer of 09, I knew I needed to lose some weight, and I got thinking about what I'd like to do for that. The huge energy of McDougalling in 95 called to me, so I got online ;) what a difference, eh? and found this website. I didn't own the book any more, but I knew what I needed to do, and the support here was beyond wonderful. I was into it FULL bore and lost 55 lbs in about six months. I lost a lot of weight and kept it off until the past two years, when I allowed fatty foods in, and was overeating in general. Still not eating animal protein (eggs a couple times a month maybe) but dang if I wasn't having fatty salad dressings, oil cooked foods, eating out frequently, having seconds, having a "special feast day" two or three times a month...etc. Gained weight, too :\

The first time, in 95, I was gung ho and went for it all the way. In 2009, too. I launched and went for it all the way with no straying...until whatever came along and I stopped being so careful. Now I've eased back into it over the past half a year, with many slip ups and indulgences, while gradually bringing it around to very close to full compliance with MWL. I don't know if a light bulb has gone off or not. For instance, I know that one of my feast foods will always be buttered popcorn. BUT! I'm bringing my feasts down from every weekend, to once a month, to once every few months. I'm feeling the benefits in my body, though the weight isn't moving very fast. But the clear headed, calm energy is FANTASTIC. And I'm tweaking some things, edging toward more MWL compliance. Quite a difference from how I was in January, trying and not succeeding to be even regular McDougalling compliant. :nod:
JUST DON'T EAT IT

I heart my endothelial lining
by red squirrel

simple, humble food
by f00die

The rest is an industry looking to make a buck off my poor health
by Pamela, a FB user
bunsofaluminum

Postby Ltldogg » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:48 pm

It was the summer of 2008, I was turning 32, and I had already cut out dairy and all meats except fish to live a healthier life. I can't remember how, but I came across PCRM and read Dr. Barnard's Prevent and Reverse Diabetes and knew that eating a healthy, vegan diet was for me. I started reading all the books I could find from Barnard, Esselstyn, Campbell, Fuhrman, etc and this lead me to Dr. McDougall; I think through reading a forward from him in one of the books from the authors I already mentioned.

Once I read McDougall I was sold knowing starches are the most satiating and satisfying. Although I found and lurked the forums, I didn't create an account until 2011.
Ltldogg

Postby Lyndzie » Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:12 pm

My lightbulb moment was two years ago, in June 2016. I had followed the WFPBNO way of eating years before in 2012 after I had watched my mom have a heart attack, but eventually drifted back to my old vegetarian diet. Vanity brought me back to a starch-based diet, because my skinny jeans were getting too snug and I refused to buy new pants. Not only do my pants fit now, I feel great, sleep soundly and have clear skin.

It hasn’t always been smooth sailing, but I’m in it for the long haul.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Daydream » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:02 pm

I read The Starch Solution 6 years ago and after reading it, there was no going back for me. My only regret is that I wish I knew about it many decades ago so I could raise my kids to eat this way. My kids are all adults now, they eat the standard American diet and they see me as a food freak!
Daydream

Postby viv » Thu Jul 19, 2018 9:25 am

I dimly remember reading his first book The McDougall Plan 30 or 40 years ago. I promptly forgot about it and tried everything else until 2013. My health had gone down hill, I was heavy, depressed with terrible joint pain. I watched Fat Sick and Nearly Dead on Netflix, then Forks Over Knives. The same name came popping up "Dr McDougall, Dr McDougall......" I thought, I know that name and found this website. I promptly began the McDougall Diet and it has changed my life. I have lost 60 pounds, all pain has gone and I feel great. I'm fit, active (I'm back ballroom dancing!) and began a new career in my 60s. None of it would be possible without Dr. McDougall.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Langeranger » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:34 am

My "click" moment was compared to many is not very dramatic. After years of vegetarian/flexitarian eating, I read The China Study and decided to quite "screwing around" and go full bore. Because of the background though, it was very easy; not the struggle so many have. But Jim your post deserves kudos also for the opening paragraphs which convey a wise, thoughtful, sensible perspective on our efforts to inform and "convert" others to the LFWFPB way of living. You have a real knack for level-headed observations. Don
Langeranger

Postby f1jim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:57 am

Thanks Don.
I just find it hard to condemn someone else for not "getting it" when I chose to reject the program for decades!
I will say that when I did make the move I made it 100% and never stayed. But then, angina at rest will do that to you!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby mauigirl » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:55 pm

I found Dr. McDougall via the China Study, and as a long time vegetarian it immediately resonated with me. I am a newby to the program, but I LOVE how I feel. I eat so much more than I did before and enjoy cooking more than ever. The colors, flavors and complete lack of animal products (my husband has joined me so I no longer have to endure oil or greasy animal cooking!) are amazingly satisfying. I agree that we are meant to eat this way!
mauigirl

Postby f1jim » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:05 am

Live it to the fullest and be the best example for the program you can. Then tell anyone who will listen what you have learned.
Professionally? That's a tough one. It can be a lifelong fight telling people what they don't want to hear.
Good luck
f1jim
f1jim

Next

Return to The Lounge