How often does your dog take you out for a walk?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

How often does your dog take you out for a walk?

Postby geo » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:17 pm

I'm curious how often and long do you all walk with your dog a day?

Mine loves to take me on walks. Usuaully we go out for about half and hour at a time in the summer heat. Thats about all I can stand :lol:

But I like to observe her when we go out. She's most definitely a puller (Siberean husky/Lab retriever - 50 lbs). So she gives me quite the work out pulling me along hard*, encouraging me to walk faster to get into that "moderate" exercise zone. But I notice after about 20 mins in the hot sun she does start to tire, uhmmm I mean she notices shes wearing me out and slows down so I can cool off a bit. So she limits my walks to about 30 mins...shes so smart on my needs and health!

* No, don't ask me how she does when on a leash with my daughter holding on to her while on a skate board... it can be a life threatening situation but does make for amusing videos...

PS - Did you ever wonder why folks take their dogs to parks to run free and play and then go sit on the bench to watch them? My dog insists I'm out there exerciseing...she knows whats good for me. :nod:
geo

My 1 year Journal McDougalling and results Testimonial
My March 2013 Star McDougaller Story
Some Random Thoughts on Successful McDougalling
geo

Re: How often does your dog take you out for a walk?

Postby Yomom » Tue Jul 17, 2018 1:22 pm

Every morning I walk our 45# Border Collie Mixed Breed (rescue dog) on a nearby foothills trail - 3.5miles with a 600’ elevation gain. She and I jog on the downhill portion, and then she has a brief swim. It usually takes 70 minutes.
In the afternoon I walk our surviving eldery 16# spaniel for 30-40 minutes.
My husband walks the spaniel in the morning, and the rescue dog in the afternoon.
All of these walks are really good for all of us.
Yomom

Postby Vegankit » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:00 pm

It varies - in good weather we usually do a 5 mile walk. We participate in competitive dog sports - and take lots of classes. It's a fun, you meet lots of people, go places you never thought you would travel and it keeps you and your dog moving or running depending on the sport.
Vegankit
Vegankit

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:10 pm

I'm a cat person. :wink:
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Grammy Ginger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:51 pm

No, our dogs don't pull because they were trained to walk at heel. We practice their training every day. I won't have a dog that tells me what to do or how fast to walk.

We walk our 2 labs every morning around 5:30 about 2 miles sometimes on and sometimes off leash. After the walk, we throw a ball or frisbee for them. We also have a Yorkie that doesn't like walks anymore, but she follows me around the garden.

We go out several times a day for potty breaks and shorty walks.
Grammy Ginger

Postby Kaye » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:31 am

We only go out once a day, usually in the evening when the sun has gone down and most of the other dogs and people have gone home. We walk for 50 - 60 minutes most days and a bit longer if we have more time or have gone somewhere special. My fitbit tells me I have an average heart beat of 96 during the walks with peaks of around 140 during the tougher bits. I usually walk Arthur our English Pointer and he is always on a lead on a walking belt so at times I do get pulled along at quite a pace if he has picked up a scent of something exciting. The other two (a Rottie and a German Shorthaired Pointer) are off lead in safe places and my husband usually takes charge of them. We used to do a short walk in the morning and a longer one in the evening but that seemed to unsettle them for the day, they are much more settled knowing they are not going out until evening.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Return to The Lounge