Are you SOS free?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are you SOS free?

Poll ended at Sat Mar 17, 2018 4:58 pm

Yes, I have eliminated all SOS
19%
No, I have eliminated O, but not salt and sugar
54%
No, I have eliminated salt, but not oil and sugar
No votes
No, I have eliminated sugar, but not oil and salt
1%
No, I have eliminated 2 out of 3 SOS components
25%

Total votes : 67

Are you SOS free?

Postby Skip » Sun Dec 17, 2017 4:58 pm

I have had a hard time eliminating added salt and sugar, but no problem eliminating oil. I'm curious how we as a group do....
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Re: Are you SOS free?

Postby viv » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:20 pm

Not sure where this SOS comes from. The McDougall Diet eliminates oil only. Salt and sugar can be used as condiments. Don't make it any harder than need be for newbies to adopt this way of eating. It is already perceived as intimidating for many, don't turn them off before they have had a chance to reap the benefits.

Viv
5'8", Started March 2013
Starting weight: 217
Current weight: 157
60lbs gone--for good!
viv

Postby Skip » Sun Dec 17, 2017 5:28 pm

viv wrote:Not sure where this SOS comes from.

It comes from True North docs and some others who advocate it.......
I'm not trying to make this diet harder for anyone by asking this question... I'm just curious
Skip

Postby colonyofcells » Sun Dec 17, 2017 6:44 pm

I do not miss oil since I have not eliminated nuts and seeds. I can easily use fresh fruits as sweeteners. To get rid of salt, I just need to consistently use tastier staple foods like potato, sweet potato, winter squash and corn. I am able to consume boiled potato (and the water used for boiling) without anything added.
colonyofcells

Postby DanTheYogi » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:24 pm

When I am at home, I am oil and sugar free. Do not keep any in my apartment. I add salt to my foods sometimes. Not even every day, usually a few times a week if I'm feeling like it. I only eat out 3 or 4 times am month on average. These are the only times I may consume sugar or oil, though even then I don't always do so. I have gone for very long periods without either before, and now that my body is so used to such a minimally processed diet, any time I consume meals with high amounts of sugar or oil I can usually feel it physically almost immediately, and sometimes the next day as well. So consuming those foods becomes less and less tempting with time.
DanTheYogi

Postby Debbie » Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:26 pm

Skip wrote:

I'm not trying to make this diet harder for anyone by asking this question... I'm just curious

Hi. I don't think she meant you making anything more difficult. I think just the idea. There seems a large push lately to omit salt and sugar, and for some, it may be beneficial. But not for everyone and for others, it cam make it really hard. The McDougall plan just makes it all so easy. :)
"It's the food" It's always been the food.
Debbie

Postby Poison Ivy » Mon Dec 18, 2017 12:34 am

To be brutally honest, I have not eliminated any of them 100% but when they are eaten, the amounts are very small. I don't eat any of them daily.

Yes, a small amount of risk is acceptable to me.

I now eat better than 95% of all Americans. I will never go backwards and continually strive to do better.
Poison Ivy

Postby Skip » Mon Dec 18, 2017 6:56 am

Debbie wrote:
Skip wrote:

Hi. I don't think she meant you making anything more difficult. I think just the idea. There seems a large push lately to omit salt and sugar, and for some, it may be beneficial. But not for everyone and for others, it cam make it really hard. The McDougall plan just makes it all so easy. :)

The idea that one would totally give up on the McDougall way of eating because they tried being SOS free (not part of the McDougall plan) and found it difficult makes no sense to me. To me, it's taking the McDougall plan to the "next level" of health which is hard to achieve.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sfzzvyWNcLU&t=0m37s
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iCrEAxRGJCw&t=2m11s
Skip

Postby Kaye » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:21 am

I wouldn't say I'm SOS free no. I've eliminated most of the added SOS apart from a quarter teaspoon of sugar in my coffee a couple of times per day. I don't add salt to cooking or at the table but I do eat bread and occasionally ketchup. I haven't eliminated nuts/seeds and use an occasional teaspoon of sesame oil in a stir fry. I'm happy with this but know I could tweak it to cut back more if I needed/wanted to.
Plant-Based Nutrition Certificate, Completed February 2017, T. Colin Campbell Center for Nutrition Studies and eCornell
Kaye

Postby bbq » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:23 am

No added oil and sugar at home because they aren't appealing anymore. Usually there's quite a bit of salt from chili garlic sauce, low sodium canned soup, tofu, soy milk, and miso etc. that would be consumed rarely. It's just tastier to use stuff like curry powder or kelp granules instead of salt.

All hell breaks loose if I were eating out but personally I'd like to avoid "paying for misery" whenever possible.
bbq

Postby SilverDollar123 » Mon Dec 18, 2017 7:50 am

No Oil. No Sugar. & have cut way back on the salt.
SilverDollar123

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:06 am

I address this previously in another thread of yours.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=53973&p=549878&#p549878

Skip wrote: It comes from True North docs

While there may be a few people who have jumped on this bandwagon (including many who may not understand the literature or how to interpret it), it actually comes directly from Alan Goldhamer and is based on his personal philosophy and thoughts, not on any actual evidence (which he admits), that he thinks none may be best.

Many, if not most of the other TrueNorth docs do not promote it or follow it. Dr Lisle doesn't (just see his Continuum of Evil). Dr Klaper doesn't (just watch his video on Salt Sugar and Oil) where he uses my guidelines.

Skip wrote:To me, it's taking the McDougall plan to the "next level" of health which is hard to achieve.

This is a misconception and unfortunately, one that is not true and more often then not, backfires and does more harm then good. While we will always adapt/adjust the program to the individual, somehow thinking that the WFPB low SOS diet is not enough, or that there is a higher level, is incorrect.

All the evidence we have on the WFBP diet, that includes the prevention, treatment and reversal of disease, even in those who are seriously ill, comes from the published work of Kempner, Morrison, CHIP, 7th Day Adventists, Pritikin, Ornish, Esselstyn, Barnard, which is all based on a diet low in SOS and not SOS free.. All the other mainstream evidence that supports this diet and way of life, is also based on a diet low in SOS and not an SOS free.

The CR published research does not use a SOS free diet.

The only published evidence by TrueNorth is on fasting, not eating, and it is mainly on lowering BP.

I can show you a tremendous amount of evidence for the guidelines I promote for low SOS but not one shred of evidence for SOS free.

We are here because we are an evidence & science based program.

Otherwise, I guess we better go back to all those who have reversed their CVD, T2 DB, HTN, Diabetes, Met Syn, Obesity and/or put their auto-immune disease and cancer in l/t remission etc etc, that they didn't do it right and still have another level of hierarchy and purity to achieve

:)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby f1jim » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:00 am

I have eliminated added oils but haven't eliminated added sugars and salt. That isn't to say sugars and salt can't be a problem in the diet. They can. We have some great guidelines for consumption of these flavorings to follow. It really is all about quantity for both of these items.
As Americans (and most western countries) we consume too many added sugars and salts for optimum health. Both items can make a starch based diet quite tasty with just a very small amount added at the table. There are so many substitute sweeteners in the whole food, plant based world to choose from when cooking or baking and cooking with salt is practically useless.
If one is coming from the typical western diet this transition is simply about creativity and learning. Once you get the basics down it's really a snap.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby JeffN » Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:15 am

This post, which I recently put up in regard to all these "hacks" people were recommending as additions to the MWL program, applies equally to the regular program.

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=26620&p=570001#p569991

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Skip » Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:10 am

JeffN wrote:Skip wrote:
To me, it's taking the McDougall plan to the "next level" of health which is hard to achieve.

This is a misconception and unfortunately, one that is not true and more often then not, backfires and does much more harm then good. While we will always adapt/adjust the program to the individual, somehow thinking that the WFPB low SOS diet is not enough, or that there is a higher level, is incorrect.

Thanks for that correction that didn't "sink in" when we discussed this previously.
Last edited by Skip on Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skip

Next

Return to The Lounge