The kind of "look" I want.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

The kind of "look" I want.

Postby petmomful » Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:35 pm

For many years, as I struggled with my weight, I would see people in the grocery store, riding a cart because they could no longer walk, and perhaps using oxygen. I always thought to myself that if I was not careful I would end up having to ride a cart around the store as well. Now don't get me wrong, I am not criticizing. For a couple of years, I had to wear a soft neck collar to the store and felt embarrassed about it sometimes. Funny thing is, when people see you wearing a neck collar, they open the door for you, lift your bags for you, etc. My husband and I used to joke that we would get HIM a neck collar. lol I always go out of my way to say hello to people who pass me on a cart, or with a disability. I open the door for them, get out of their way, or whatever I see they need at the moment.

Yesterday, I was in the grocery store, buying produce and beans, of course, and I passed a person on a cart, moved over, and said hello. But I also passed another type of person. A very well groomed lady, maybe in her fifties, passed me, and a huge wave of chemicals hit me. It smelled like hairspray and cologne. She was overweight, and had a very big bouffant hairdo. Her hair was a fake light blond, and very stiff and sprayed and over processed. She had on a nice outfit with a tunic, all black, which I assumed was supposed to be "slimming," and heels. It struck me that this was exactly the look I do NOT want in my senior years. (I am 62.) I want to look nice because I am healthy!! I was wearing skinny jeans, tennis shoes, and a sweatshirt. My hair is a natural white. I felt like a million bucks, and had a big smile on my face. As my husband spent a lot of time looking at the frozen food, I had time to think.

I feel that all the things we do to be attractive, cannot make up for an overweight, unhealthy body. Dressing nicely, wearing a little makeup, and feeling great, are what works for me. Hair color, chemicals, and dressing up, do not mask overweight, or unhealthiness. I want to FEEL great!! Recently I got a new haircut and my daughter-in-law complimented me on it. My grandson, age 14, said, "Wait, grandma, aren't you supposed to have a little head of curls?" lol No, I do not have to be a typical little old lady and have a perm. I have nothing against perms, they are just not for me. The most important thing is how we feel about ourselves. And I feel great!! I think that great feeling, and how we feel physically, comes across to others. And if we feel great physically, we are free to concentrate on other people and their needs, too. THAT is how I want to look and feel. This WOE has taken me there, and I want to continue on this journey the rest of my life.
petmomful

Re: The kind of "look" I want.

Postby Grammy Ginger » Thu Dec 14, 2017 3:06 pm

Good for you! it does feel good to work hard and get healthy again. I don't want to be perfectly coifed, made up, and dressed in slimming black expensive clothing while carrying an extra 50-100 lbs. Similar to you, I'll wear my fitted jeans with my t-shirt tucked in proudly holding my silver-streaked, easy-styled hair and wearing a smile on my make-up free slightly wrinkled 54-year-old face. Also, like you, I don't want to judge, because that could have been me had I never learned the truth about eating plants. :D
Grammy Ginger

Postby petmomful » Thu Dec 14, 2017 6:03 pm

Grammy Ginger, YOU GO GIRL!! :D
petmomful

Postby roundcoconut » Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:06 pm

I love the idea of us being able to outwardly embody the feeling of feeling good about our bodies, and feeling good about our behaviors, and feeling happy in our clothes!

The thing that is interesting to me, is that the only difference between someone looking awesome, and someone looking like they are trying too hard, is some intangible sense that you cannot quite pin down. The clothing or the hairstyles could be exactly the same, while the overall vibe could carry a sense of joy or a sense of desperation.

For whatever reason, the clothing and jewelry and makeup that I like to wear, is often in the realm of being kind of glamorous, flambuoyant and colorful. As I type, I’m wearing some denim cutoffs (shorts!) with tights worn underneath. Seven bracelets. Big white earrings that are a little smaller than the palm of my hand. And lip gloss — always lip gloss. Those are just things that feel happy to me!

Fascinating how when we feel good about ourselves, we shine! We can shine in jeans or a gypsy skirt — it almost doesn’t matter.
roundcoconut

Postby petmomful » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:48 pm

Roundcoconut, that is fabulous! You are being true to yourself and your own real style. Nothing shines like health, whatever your outward style may be! :-D I love the sound of your style! It sounds really cool! I think I will wear something a little different (for me) and fabulous to my grandson's party today. You have inspired me! Why not have a little fun with our clothes and our style! That says that we are feeling great, otherwise we would just throw something on and not care.
petmomful

Postby MINNIE » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:50 pm

Big 10-4 to all of the above. :D

Good for you! it does feel good to work hard and get healthy again. I don't want to be perfectly coifed, made up, and dressed in slimming black expensive clothing while carrying an extra 50-100 lbs. Similar to you, I'll wear my fitted jeans with my t-shirt tucked in proudly holding my silver-streaked, easy-styled hair and wearing a smile on my make-up free slightly wrinkled 54-year-old face. Also, like you, I don't want to judge, because that could have been me had I never learned the truth about eating plants. :D

Yes, this is how I feel too. I think about this from time to time, usually at the grocery store :).

Looking good is just a side effect of this way of eating, but a nice one indeed!
MINNIE

Postby bbq » Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:56 pm

You can put lipstick on a... never mind.

We're living in a somewhat "strange" society since we're somehow "supposed" to be happy if we're driving specific kinda vehicles, wearing certain kinda clothes, eating the flesh of dead animals, drinking vintages that are older than a centenarian etc.

As if we're programmed to believe that everything will be right as rain once that predetermined list of boxes are checked. It's all about how to live conditionally since that's somehow the only path to an "ideal" life, in reality we human beings (not human doings) could simply be happy unconditionally while showing up authentically. Be who we really are instead of pretending to be someone else who's constantly trying to "measure up" to unrealistic standards.

We've been taught so many things in our lives when we're still young, for whatever reasons most of that would only be good for impressing others in a sense that we might appear to be admirable. Unfortunately we could hardly find that rare opportunity to learn how we could be a person who's lovable.

Sometimes good looks on the outside might be merely compensating what's happening on the inside, kinda similar to how someone who's constantly trying to out-exercise a poor diet while both of them are meant to work synergistically. We could look like a million bucks (e.g. Bob Harper) but there's no telling how badly damaged the body really is until a wake up call is served on a silver platter.
bbq

Postby petmomful » Sat Dec 16, 2017 12:59 pm

bbq, very well said. :D Sure I want to look nice, and keep my clothes a bit current. But the main thing really, is how we feel!! If I feel great, I can really have fun, and get worthwhile things accomplished. I can avoid wasting my retirement in the doctor's office. I can do the things that are meaningful to me.

I was thinking about this last night because I went to my grandson's birthday party. We were eating good food, (my daughter in law made me delicious veggie wraps), we were playing music and dancing, fooling around playing a guitar, talking, laughing, telling funny stories, etc. It was so fun. A year ago I would not have been able to dance, I would have been sitting on the couch with a neck collar on. It was such a fun time that I enjoyed so much because I felt great. My life is so much better now, since I began this WOE. No one cared what I was wearing, what car I drove, what shoes I was wearing. No one cared if I had any money, or was dirt broke. We just had fun. I took roundcoconut's example and wore something a little different, a little more "me," and it was fun.
petmomful

Postby mountain » Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:56 pm

I feel best walking out of the climbing gym after I mastered a new route....being sweaty and my clothes are covered in chalk....knowing that I can do what so many young ones can't! And knowing I am improving every time I climb....ok....almost every time....makes me not feel like 61....more like 25 lol

I like to dress nicely...not over the top but also not in "mommy jeans"! Getting pretty much all my clothes from the thrift store makes it easy and fun!
mountain

Postby petmomful » Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:25 pm

Mountain, that sounds wonderful. What a great confidence booster. That must make you feel so good. I can relate a bit, because when I am out walking, with my headphones on, and feel the warmth of the sun, and the beat of the music, and I am all sweaty, and waving to my neighbors, I just feel so great and happy. My daughter passed me in her car, and she said I had a big crazy smile on my face! haha It must be endorphins, and the feeling of freedom! :D
petmomful

Return to The Lounge