Can this forum be searched using whole phrases?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Can this forum be searched using whole phrases?

Postby Doug_ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 1:36 pm

When I do searches with multiple words, the results are threads, the most recent first, with any hits of either/or, and if both words are found, they're not necessarily together, so they've lost the meaning and the phrasing I was searching for.

Often in a google search or other simillar search, if you put quotes around a query, it only returns results with the full phrase as written. That's one of the things I was hoping for.
Last edited by Doug_ on Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug_

Re: Can this forum be searched using whole phrases?

Postby calvin » Mon Oct 16, 2017 4:55 pm

I'm pretty sure the search engine will find any instances of the word arrangement you searched on if it exists on the Boards. If not found, what I do in your example is modify my word group, e.g. use synonyms to come up with the same idea.
calvin

Postby Doug_ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:02 pm

calvin wrote:I'm pretty sure the search engine will find any instances of the word arrangement you searched on if it exists on the Boards. If not found, what I do in your example is modify my word group, e.g. use synonyms to come up with the same idea.

They're always found, but the results are often useless. And like I said, the results just come up as first found, without any priorities to better matches.

Say I search for "bean limit". The first result is...

... debate over what to eat for each meal and 2) take away the variety to limit over-eating from excitement over something new. I call it a modified ... taco salad (lettuce, tomatoes, brown rice, McDougall Right Foods Black Bean Soup, salsa) Dinner: mashed potatoes and zucchini Snack: apple or Clementines ...

The second result is...

I do not eat beans as my main starch bec there is a 1 cup cooked limit for beans, peas and lentils on the mcdougall diet. I soak beans overnight and boil them together with ...

which doesn't even contain the word "limit".

The third result is...

... almond milk, banana, coffee L: split pea soup over steamed potato D: Bean burrito ETA: Reminder to myself that this journal is my safe space. ... is working for me so far. I stick to my groups in FB, I limit Reddit, I don't do Twitter or Instagram, and I don't even want to know ...

and so it goes.

A decent algorithm would give priority to results with the query words closer together, and certainly give priority to results that contain at least both words, rather than serving up anything it can find that has any match of any of the query words.

As it happens, a relevant result to what I was actually looking for appears near the bottom of the page of results, but this was luck rather than a result of the search algorithm.
Doug_

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:25 pm

Doug_ wrote:When I do searches with multiple words, the results are threads with either/or, and if both words are found, they're not necessarily together, so they've lost the meaning and the phrasing I was searching for.

There's an advanced search feature for the discussion boards, but not for the entire site. I don't know if that'll help you.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby Doug_ » Mon Oct 16, 2017 5:39 pm

AlwaysAgnes wrote:There's an advanced search feature for the discussion boards, but not for the entire site. I don't know if that'll help you.

Okay well at least the advanced search allows requiring any words preceded by a "+"

No intact phrase search that I can see, but that is something at least. Thanks.
Doug_

Postby Lyndzie » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:34 am

Thanks for asking this question. I've had this same trouble. I know information has probably been addressed before, but I sometimes can't figure out how to search it out.
Lindsey
My food journal: Adventures in Eating
My pregnancy journal: Maybe a Baby 2017
www.lindseyhead.coach
Lyndzie

Postby Donna R » Tue Oct 17, 2017 6:45 pm

search Google for Dr. Mcdougall and your question and several sites will come up. I got this
McDougall: As beans are around 30% protein and too much protein can present a stress to the kidneys. Limit them to 1 cup a day to be on the safe side.
from http://lanimuelrath.com/mcdougall-vs-fu ... rs-debate/
~ Donna
Donna R

Return to The Lounge