Food recommendations for a friend and future doc

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Food recommendations for a friend and future doc

Postby Anna Green » Sat Mar 25, 2017 2:55 pm

So I have a friend who is in med school. He could lose a few lbs.l...not much. His bp is a little high so he got on meds. I need to send him here so he can see Dr. McDougall's thoughts on that. Anyway, he and his wife just had a baby so you can imagine they have no time. He asked me to give him 5 recipes he can put in his crockpot so he has food in the eve and can work to get off his meds. Also, he lifts weights and burns a lot of calories. So I thought I would give them a start by making chili for them with bulger, tiny black lentils, eggplant, shroons, etc, and baking sweet potatoes and yukon golds. I plan to give them a bunch of stuff to go with the chili and that they can make burrito bowls and such with and use that chili in a variety of ways...such as greens, salsa, corn, peppers, rice, cilantro, chopped red onions, avocado (I'll recommend to limit) and the TJ oil free eggplant hummus. I may make them some cheezy sauce and some tahini sauce to use on rice and veggies (again I'll suggest they limit). I want to make sure I'm giving them stuff that has enough calories...she is also breastfeeding and not overweight. And yet I of course want to make sure it's food that will help him with the mild bp issue. I know that this is much much lower in fat than what he is normally eating so I think it will work and be tasty enough to help him stick to it. It will give her an example too of what to eat to feed herself and that baby. I think it may help his bp because I've seen my own respond to this kind of change.

Any other ideas for food that you just love and would be easy for them to continue making on their own?

Of course you know my other motivation besides that I love them is to educate a future physician on the best way of eating.
Anna Green

Re: Food recommendations for a friend and future doc

Postby vegman » Sat Mar 25, 2017 3:39 pm

Jeff Novick's recipes are very good: quick, easy, tasty, healthy. They are online somewhere, and some are in his cooking DVDs.
vegman

Postby StarchHEFP » Sat Mar 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Anna Green wrote:So I have a friend who is in med school. He could lose a few lbs.l...not much. His bp is a little high so he got on meds. I need to send him here so he can see Dr. McDougall's thoughts on that. Anyway, he and his wife just had a baby so you can imagine they have no time. He asked me to give him 5 recipes he can put in his crockpot so he has food in the eve and can work to get off his meds. Also, he lifts weights and burns a lot of calories. So I thought I would give them a start by making chili for them with bulger, tiny black lentils, eggplant, shroons, etc, and baking sweet potatoes and yukon golds. I plan to give them a bunch of stuff to go with the chili and that they can make burrito bowls and such with and use that chili in a variety of ways...such as greens, salsa, corn, peppers, rice, cilantro, chopped red onions, avocado (I'll recommend to limit) and the TJ oil free eggplant hummus. I may make them some cheezy sauce and some tahini sauce to use on rice and veggies (again I'll suggest they limit). I want to make sure I'm giving them stuff that has enough calories...she is also breastfeeding and not overweight. And yet I of course want to make sure it's food that will help him with the mild bp issue. I know that this is much much lower in fat than what he is normally eating so I think it will work and be tasty enough to help him stick to it. It will give her an example too of what to eat to feed herself and that baby. I think it may help his bp because I've seen my own respond to this kind of change.

Any other ideas for food that you just love and would be easy for them to continue making on their own?

Of course you know my other motivation besides that I love them is to educate a future physician on the best way of eating.

I wish I could talk to this gentleman. If he wants to seriously get in touch, please PM me.
Let me humbly suggest you give him a link to these 4 videos. They will give him a good overview of how lifestyle can benefit one's health, and hopefully get him interested in lifestyle medicine.
http://www.acpm.org/?LMCurriculumArchived
These 4 lectures will give him more useful information than anything else he learns in medical school and residency :)

PCRM on how to change your med schools' nutrition curriculum from Dr. Loomis:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExeaPSufG6Y
StarchHEFP

Postby Anna Green » Sat Mar 25, 2017 11:14 pm

StarchHEFP, will do. Thanks! The good thing about this is even though I've been lame the last few years, this friend saw what I did a few years back when I lost 100 lbs and got off bp meds. So he's open. I'm trying to be a better example now.

Vegman, will do.
Anna Green

Postby Dougalling » Sun Mar 26, 2017 4:33 am

Dougalling

Postby vegman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:20 am

I usually don't use spices. Jeff's recipes use them, which might make them more appealing to someone coming off the SAD, especially since they contain no salt.
vegman

Postby Anna Green » Sun Mar 26, 2017 7:37 am

yep....it's hard to get these New Orleans folk including the transplants, once they've had the goods, to buy into simple...otherwise called bland or in the case of liquids, pis-a-swa. :-D That's part of the reason I'll do some cooking for them. Not that I'm a good cook but I do know the flavors. May even make them a veggie jambalaya and it might just turn out ok. We'll see. One awesome thing the vegan folk have trained some people to do is to boil potatoes, corn, garlic, and an assortment of other veggies in the spices before the crawfish so I'll be able to nab them some legal albeit a bit salty local flavor.

I just wanted extra input because it seems stuff always turns up here I didn't know existed.
Anna Green

Postby greensheep » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:24 pm

Anna Green wrote:yep....it's hard to get these New Orleans folk including the transplants, once they've had the goods, to buy into simple...otherwise called bland or in the case of liquids, pis-a-swa. :-D That's part of the reason I'll do some cooking for them. Not that I'm a good cook but I do know the flavors. May even make them a veggie jambalaya and it might just turn out ok. We'll see. One awesome thing the vegan folk have trained some people to do is to boil potatoes, corn, garlic, and an assortment of other veggies in the spices before the crawfish so I'll be able to nab them some legal albeit a bit salty local flavor.

I just wanted extra input because it seems stuff always turns up here I didn't know existed.

I hear you; I lived in New Orleans for 4 years. These people need to talk to Josh LaJaunie (a self-described coonass)! He did it when no one else was doing it, and they all must have thought he was nuts. But now... his entire family is plant-based. And he looks like a completely different person.

https://joshlajaunie.com/
greensheep

Postby Anna Green » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:03 pm

greensheep, thanks! I come from coonasses and I still have a hard time sticking to this woe. When I do stick to it though I truly start loving it.
Anna Green

Postby vegman » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:05 pm

Apparently not on Jeff's facebook page -- his New Orleans Jambalaya:

http://veggiesue.blogspot.com/2013/10/new-orleans-jambalaya.html

The link there back to Jeff's forum here has a helpful intro to the general approach he is taking in these recipes, so you can create your own.
vegman

Postby JeffN » Sun Mar 26, 2017 6:15 pm

vegman wrote:Apparently not on Jeff's facebook page

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JeffNovickR ... 4432390124

and

https://www.facebook.com/pg/JeffNovickR ... tab=albums

If the links don't work, go to the photos section, then All Albums and then look for an album called Basic Recipes. You'll also see other albums with recipes too

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Anna Green » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:59 pm

Thanks everyone for the replies and the links!
Anna Green

Postby Anna Green » Wed Mar 29, 2017 4:47 pm

I had to share this. My food I made for my friends was received well. I was told the tortilla casserole, wraps and wild rice and veggies were something they'd order in a restaurant. I laughed to myself because we know that oil free grub isn't found in no restaurant, at least not in these parts.

I know I'm not much of a cook but it did taste good and I'm sure having food prepared for you makes it taste better.
Anna Green

Return to The Lounge