Everybody gets a potato on Dr. Oz show

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Everybody gets a potato on Dr. Oz show

Postby Hal » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:29 pm

So on Thursday Dr. Oz is going to speak to the virtues of potato,
for anyone who's interested in how he will booby-trap a perfect food, or not. ;)
Another sign a trend has begun. Use your power people.
Hal

Re: Everybody gets a potato on Dr. Oz show

Postby smudgemom » Wed Mar 22, 2017 6:59 pm

I Googled the show....here's the description.
Sounds like it's positive, but curious to see how 'without spiking the blood sugar' plays out.

Food Truth: Why You Should Eat Potatoes Again
Why potatoes are a nutritional powerhouse; how to enjoy them without spiking the blood sugar; Tia Mowry opens up about her secret struggle with diet pills.
smudgemom

Postby dynodan62 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:28 pm

smudgemom wrote:....curious to see how 'without spiking the blood sugar' plays

He suggests adding fat to potatoes. I knew it was too good to be true.
dynodan62

Postby katgirl55 » Thu Mar 23, 2017 3:17 pm

You cannot rely on these daytime shows or magazines for health info. They are not digging deep enough into the subject, so what you get is single-serving blurbs and proclamations without the needed context. It is a waste of time because it is just filler. Like in a mag when they have one page full of random stuff like "Studies show eating one tablespoon of peanut butter per day can prevent athlete's foot". And it also can get really confusing so I just stay away.

My questions is: Who told Oz that you need fat on potatoes?
katgirl55

Postby Hal » Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:00 pm

Ya, lots of booby traps on those potatoes. They appear to think that the fat prevents blood sugar from rising.
And that this seen as a real good thing for some reason they didn't explain.
Still, i wonder if it does lower blood sugar. And if so, why, and if insulin resistance is involved.
Hal

Postby Taggart » Thu Mar 23, 2017 11:10 pm

I didn't see the show on TV, but they posted a segment on Dr. Oz website. It was posted there on 3/23/2017. No mention of using fat, more like undercooking the potato or sweet potato. I know Jeff Novick wrote an article at least a few months ago regarding resistant starch.

http://www.doctoroz.com/article/potato-cheat-sheet
Taggart

Postby Atheria » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:19 am

Years ago when my hypoglycemia was REALLY bad, a diabetic counselor told me to put fat on everything. At the time, I was wearing a 24/7 blood glucose monitor so we could see what my body was doing pertaining to various foods. I have to admit that after oatmeal with cinnamon and soy protein powder, my blood sugar spiked high and then rapidly plummeted. When I added oil to the same thing the next day, my blood sugar rose slowly (and didn't go really high) and then came down gently like it was supposed to. That being said, I do wonder if that attitude toward carbs just puts a temporary Band-Aid on the problem and actually makes you worse over time.

Atheria
~ ATHERIA ~
www.bridge4spirit.wordpress.com
Atheria

Postby Dougalling » Fri Mar 24, 2017 8:27 am

Hi

I think a lot of it is lawyers covering the shows butt. If a guest says 'diabetes'..immediately the show turns to the Diabetics Association for information. If the guest says 'heart' the show immediately turns to the Heart Association for information. They follow the associations guidelines to cover their butts. It doesn't matter what the guest says.
These associations should be sued for not promoting the healthiest diet.
Dougalling

Postby hope101 » Fri Mar 24, 2017 9:38 am

Atheria wrote:Years ago when my hypoglycemia was REALLY bad, a diabetic counselor told me to put fat on everything. At the time, I was wearing a 24/7 blood glucose monitor so we could see what my body was doing pertaining to various foods. I have to admit that after oatmeal with cinnamon and soy protein powder, my blood sugar spiked high and then rapidly plummeted. When I added oil to the same thing the next day, my blood sugar rose slowly (and didn't go really high) and then came down gently like it was supposed to. That being said, I do wonder if that attitude toward carbs just puts a temporary Band-Aid on the problem and actually makes you worse over time.

Atheria
Unfortunately, this is the classic example of chasing health markers and not health. Given enough time, that fat prevents glucose uptake, so you end up with insulin resistance and the long-term consequences of diabetes. (Probably obesity and hypertension, too.) But your blood sugars are steadily maintained--steadily crap, that is. ;)
hope101

Postby donaldpetemc » Sun Mar 26, 2017 2:13 pm

Atheria wrote:Years ago when my hypoglycemia was REALLY bad, a diabetic counselor told me to put fat on everything....
Atheria

It's interesting that the latest info on type 2 diabetes makes oil and fat the bugaboo rather than sugar and starch.
Anne

donaldpetemc

Return to The Lounge