Sumo's are here!!!!!!

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Re: Sumo's are here!!!!!!

Postby f1jim » Tue Jan 17, 2017 9:05 pm

I hope to create a group of Sumo addicts. I just wish they were available for a longer time.
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby dynodan62 » Wed Jan 18, 2017 1:57 pm

f1jim wrote:I hope to create a group of Sumo addicts. I just wish they were available for a longer time.
f1jim

Went to the website of one of the largest mail order/gift sellers, and they are already now unavailable/out-of-season. But, their satsuma gift boxes are still being sold through Amazon. Go figure.
dynodan62

Postby landog » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:54 pm

f1jim wrote:I hope to create a group of Sumo addicts.

I'm hooked!
landog

Postby f1jim » Wed Jan 18, 2017 7:58 pm

One down and 16,024 to go!
f1jim
While adopting this diet and lifestyle program I have reversed my heart disease, high cholesterol, hypertension, and lost 54 lbs. You can follow my story at https://www.drmcdougall.com/james-brown/
f1jim

Postby healthyvegan » Sat Jan 21, 2017 5:50 am

My fav time of the year!
mrmrsvegan.com free whole starch low fat cookbook #wslf
healthyvegan

Postby dynodan62 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:46 am

[quote="dynodan62")
Went to the website of one of the largest mail order/gift sellers, and they are already now unavailable/out-of-season. But, their satsuma gift boxes are still being sold through Amazon. Go figure.[/quote]

Guess they really ARE out of season. The seller I bought from through Amazon sent me ordinary mini mandarins (that I could have bought at the local supermarket for 1/3 the price), not real sumos.
dynodan62

Postby sirdle » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:14 am

Our Whole Foods currently has Sumos and Satsumas.

The Sumos are about twice the size of the Satsumas, the skin is thinner, they are harder to peal, they are messier, and they are not quite as sweet.

I liked the Sumos better than Navels or Valencias, but not quite as much as the Satsumas.

Sorry, Jim. :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

Postby MaureenR » Thu Feb 09, 2017 5:12 pm

I've been meaning to try Sumos after reading the mostly glowing reviews here but I hadn't seen them in the markets when I remembered to look for them.

Today I stopped by H-Mart (a Korean supermarket chain) to pick up a variety of mushrooms. In the area where they sell boxed sets of fancy looking fruits (for gift giving?), there they were -- a box of 6 Sumos for $12.99! I was hoping they also sold them individually, so I could try just one, but that did not seem to be the case so I decided to splurge on them.

Count me as another fan!

I have been trying to get in touch with eating a bit more seasonally lately. I love the blood oranges and the pink grapefruits that are in season now too.
MaureenR

Postby f1jim » Thu Feb 09, 2017 6:11 pm

Excellent! Another victim.
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Vanilla Orchid » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:20 pm

I found some Sumos last week at Berkeley Bowl for only 1.13 per pound. And they also had Oro Blanco Grapefruit--one of my favorites--it's a cross between Pumelo and grapefruit--very sweet.
Vanilla Orchid

Postby landog » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:55 pm

Picked up our third round of Sumos, today!

:D
landog

Postby f1jim » Sat Mar 18, 2017 5:59 pm

Me too. Someone stop me!
f1jim
f1jim

Postby landog » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:30 pm

Overheard my wife in another room:
"Sumos! Where have they been all our lives?"
landog

Postby petmomful » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:14 pm

I will definitely look for these and try them! Thanks for the tip!
petmomful

Postby sirdle » Tue Mar 28, 2017 1:04 pm

f1jim wrote:The long awaited Sumo oranges are at Whole Foods. Other stores usually carry them. I just bought 8 of them. They are expensive at $3.99 a pound but they are sooooo good. Every year I treat myself to them for the month or so they are in stores. I think they best Satsumas, and just about every other orange I have tasted.
They look odd and mottled but taste like heaven. Try at least one before you die.
f1jim

sirdle wrote:Our Whole Foods currently has Sumos and Satsumas.

The Sumos are about twice the size of the Satsumas, the skin is thinner, they are harder to peal, they are messier, and they are not quite as sweet.

I liked the Sumos better than Navels or Valencias, but not quite as much as the Satsumas.

Sorry, Jim. :-P

I gave these another try today... much, much better than the first batch. :)

Very easy to peel and not at all messy. Not quite as sweet as the best Satsumas I've had but still very, very good. (And far better than anything else which is still in season!)

Thanks for the tip, Jim :-P
"Before Enlightenment chop wood, carry water. After Enlightenment chop wood, carry water." -- Zen proverb
sirdle

PreviousNext

Return to The Lounge