Favorite nutritional yeast brands?

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Favorite nutritional yeast brands?

Postby CMD » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:07 pm

Is there a brand or company you recommend? I do a lot of ordering from Amazon so if there's a brand there, that would be very convenient. If it's from someplace else, that's fine, too. I occasionally shop at Trader Joe's. I have never used much but I'd like to have it on hand for certain recipes. What is the lifespan of nutrtitional yeast?

Thanks!
CMD

Re: Favorite nutritional yeast brands?

Postby TerriNC » Mon Mar 09, 2015 4:44 pm

I use Bragg's. Here's the amazon link to it. http://www.amazon.com/Bragg-Nutritional ... onal+yeast
TerriNC

Postby Skip » Mon Mar 09, 2015 6:46 pm

I use Kal. Here's the amazon link to it: http://www.amazon.com/Kal-Nutritional-Y ... onal+yeast
"The fundamental principle of ethics is reverence for life" Albert Schweitzer
Skip

Postby calvin » Mon Mar 09, 2015 10:11 pm

I can't get past the smell of Bragg's nutritional yeast...wet dog hair. I emailed them about it...they said their retailers would honor returns. The taste did not match the odor.

The only one who's taste i like is Gaylord Hauser Imported Brewer's Yeast but it has not been on the shelves for many months. I saw it online somewhere a few weeks ago but only if buy 6tins at a time.
Last edited by calvin on Sun Mar 15, 2015 9:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
calvin

Postby awest27 » Mon Mar 09, 2015 11:58 pm

I like Kal brand too. I mail ordered a bunch of it and it's lasted a long time. One of my cats can recognize the sound of me opening the can and he comes to get a spoon full in his dish.
awest27

Postby TerriNC » Tue Mar 10, 2015 4:54 am

Ok, so now I'm curious about the Kal brand. Just now ordered it to compare with Braggs. I use a good bit of nutritional yeast in recipes and on popcorn, so I'm looking forward to the test drive. The price is excellent too! :)
TerriNC

Postby skane9041 » Tue Mar 10, 2015 5:51 am

I like the Kal also, and I get it from Amazon. Really fresh, the flakes have a nice kind of crispy texture that I really like.
Sandi
----------------------

"Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself."...Leo Tolstoy
skane9041

Postby greentea » Tue Mar 10, 2015 6:41 am

I usually buy Bob's Red mill because it's all I can find where I live (other than bulk stuff which I don't like to buy because I don't know how long it's been sitting the bin). It's excellent
greentea

Postby AlwaysAgnes » Tue Mar 10, 2015 12:19 pm

I use Kal brand. I buy it at Sprouts. It usually has a "use by" date on the canister. Unless it's been on the store shelf forever, it should be good for a couple years. I just bought a canister 2 or 3 months ago, and its use by date is Feb 2017. I don't eat large amounts of nutritional yeast on any kind of regular basis, mostly just small amounts here and there in recipes or on salads. The 12 oz canister I got this time will probably last a year if not more, unless for some reason I suddenly decide to make a lot of nooch-heavy recipes.
You don't have to wait to be happy.
AlwaysAgnes

Postby calvin » Wed Mar 25, 2015 6:02 pm

Well, if you're on Dr. Gregor's mailing list, you've probably seen this latest video on nutritional yeast.
Good news...immune system benefits :) , not so good...possible heavy metal content in the form of lead. :-(

http://nutritionfacts.us5.list-manage.c ... 39b55361ef
calvin

Postby StarchHEFP » Fri Mar 27, 2015 4:04 am

calvin wrote:Well, if you're on Dr. Gregor's mailing list, you've probably seen this latest video on nutritional yeast.
Good news...immune system benefits :) , not so good...possible heavy metal content in the form of lead. :-(

http://nutritionfacts.us5.list-manage.c ... 39b55361ef

Thanks for this - I guess I'm glad I bought Bragg's (the only brand which gave a testing certificate that shows a very low lead level). I think the taste is fine (although I have not tried any other brand) - I use this rarely and therefore keep in the fridge - I'm assuming it stays more fresh that way too.
StarchHEFP

Postby working at it » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:37 am

This comment appeared under the Nutritionfacts.org video on Nutritional Yeast:

FYI:
Now Foods' serving size is 16 g and Bragg's is 5 g.
No wonder Bragg can get a lower result of lead contamination per portion.
working at it

Postby StarchHEFP » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:06 pm

working at it wrote:This comment appeared under the Nutritionfacts.org video on Nutritional Yeast:

FYI:
Now Foods' serving size is 16 g and Bragg's is 5 g.
No wonder Bragg can get a lower result of lead contamination per portion.

Very interesting! I use nutritional yeast very rarely. But now I wonder about all those great spices and how much arsenic and lead there is in those too!
StarchHEFP

Postby colonyofcells » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:15 pm

I use twinlab brewers yeast which probably does not taste good but I prefer it for more chromium. It is a by product of beer making and has to be debittered so consumers will like it.
http://www.vitacost.com/twinlab-brewers-yeast
colonyofcells

Postby Denise » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:33 pm

I buy red star at bulk foods.com, seems to be the best price
Denise

Return to The Lounge