My dentist wants me to use fluoride to combat tooth decay

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

My dentist wants me to use fluoride to combat tooth decay

Postby kathyaggie » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:40 pm

I have read that fluoride is poison. I have had almost all of my teeth capped and have two implants as well due to a history of dental decay, losing teeth, etc. With the caps and two dental implants I almost have all my top teeth except those in the far back. On the bottom I have 7 teeth and on either bottom side am missing several back teeth. My dentist made a mouth piece with teeth (name of this contraption escapes me for for the moment) that I hate to eat with.

My dentist is one of the best in Atlanta, GA and is a perfectionist. He wants me to use either fluoride mouthwash or prescription-strength fluoride toothpaste that you don't wash off after you brush. You are supposed to just spit out the water, etc. and leave the tooth paste on.

He says this is the only way to remineralize my teeth. He is noticing places on my teeth that are close to decay and he feels this is very important.

I really need advice about this. My diet is very bad. I eat a lot of sweets, drink coffee, a soda a day, lots of fat in the sweets, cereal, butter, a little cheese. I try to stay away from meat and eggs because of the abuse of farm animals and because I want to be a complete vegan as I don't think humans should eat meat. It's a lack of will power but I feel close to success in overcoming this bad diet.

I have always thought that when your body is acidic this can also affect your teeth, so it seems if I can alkalize my body, my teeth will not decay. I know sweets and coffee are very acidic.

Please let me know if the McDougall way of eating no fat, all vegan, will be enough to thwart tooth decay or should I go ahead and use this toothpaste with flouride?

Kathy
Kathy
kathyaggie

Postby JeffN » Fri Nov 28, 2008 11:21 am

Hi Kathy

Dental health is very important and our diet plays a key role so following a healthy diet would be important.

I am not going to comment on Fluoride as it is not my area of specialty. However, there was a recent discussion in this forum recently here...

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7351

And one on Dental Health here, where I did make some comments..

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8654

However, in relation to your other comments...

kathyaggie wrote: My diet is very bad.

Regardless of what you decide about Flouride, this will be an important area for you to make improvements.

kathyaggie wrote: I eat a lot of sweets, drink coffee, a soda a day, lots of fat in the sweets, cereal, butter, a little cheese. I try to stay away from meat and eggs

Clearly, there is room for improvement :)

My recommendation would be for you to start implementing the principles and guidelines of this program and start including more and more healthy foods and minimize/eliminate the unhealthy items.

kathyaggie wrote: I try to stay away from meat and eggs because of the abuse of farm animals and because I want to be a complete vegan as I don't think humans should eat meat.

While, I honor your efforts to be a vegan, what is most important here is your health. So, do not forget about the abuse (diet and lifestyle) that you are admitting to inflict on the most important animal in your life, you!

Without you being in optimal health, you will be of little value to the other animals. Remember, when on an airplane, they always ask you to secure your own oxygen mask "before" attempting to help your children an/or anyone else.

I agree! :)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD