Foods for Gestational Diabetes

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Terry » Mon Jul 21, 2008 1:25 pm

Hi Jeff,

I am 40 years old and pregnant with my first child. I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have been totally vegan for the past 6 years and vegetarian for 22 years prior to that. I've always eaten a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes but during the beginning of my pregnancy I started adding in a little junk food like sorbet and vegan cupcakes.

I have already cut out the junk food but I'm wondering if I should be focusing more on cutting out any kind of sugars (like fruit) or cutting out fats like nut butter and hummus or should I be limiting my grains. Can I eat potatoes? There is a lot of conflicting information out there on managing diabetes and I'm confused. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.
Terry

Re: Foods for Gestational Diabetes

Postby JeffN » Mon Jul 21, 2008 5:55 pm

Terry wrote:Hi Jeff,

I am 40 years old and pregnant with my first child. I've been diagnosed with gestational diabetes. I have been totally vegan for the past 6 years and vegetarian for 22 years prior to that. I've always eaten a lot of fruits, vegetables, grains and legumes but during the beginning of my pregnancy I started adding in a little junk food like sorbet and vegan cupcakes.

I have already cut out the junk food but I'm wondering if I should be focusing more on cutting out any kind of sugars (like fruit) or cutting out fats like nut butter and hummus or should I be limiting my grains. Can I eat potatoes? There is a lot of conflicting information out there on managing diabetes and I'm confused. I'd appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Hi Terri

Sounds like you are heading in the right direction. However, without knowing more specifics, it would be hard to make specific recommendations. However, in general.....

There are many things that are related to GD including your pre-pregnancy weight, pregnancy weight gain, age. ethnicity and you didnt mention what month you were in, how much weight you gained, etc

The main concern is to control your blood sugars by focusing your diet on unrefined unprocessed fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, intact whole grains, and legumes and to engage in regular moderately intense physical exercise within your limits and capacity. I would be careful to avoid and/or limit concentrated/refined sugars/sweeteners, and refined and/or processed carbohydrates/grains. Fat can also negatively effect blood sugar so i would recommend limiting (or eliminating) all high fat foods and free oils. The only exception would be a TB or 2 of flax seed a day. Fruit should not be a problem, but if you are concerned you can limit it to around 2 servings and see what happens. Include lots of greens and beans and veggies.

Best wishes to you.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Terry » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:14 am

Thanks Jeff, that helps. My specifics are that I'm 5'11" and weighed 155 pre-pregnancy. I'm currently around 6 months along and have gained 22 pounds so far. I'm 40 years old and caucasian. Prior to my pregnancy, I used to ride my bike about 50 miles per week and walked the dog twice a day. Due to some hemorrhaging early on, I had to stop all exercise and limit any time on my feet. Even though the problem resolved, I now have cervix issues that cause me to continue to severely limit any activity. I'm sure that my "advanced maternal age" and my total lack of exercise have contributed to the diabetes diagnosis.

Your advice really helps because all the non-veggie diabetes advice says to limit grains, no potatoes, eat lots of protein and limit fruit. I was eating a lot of whole wheat pasta but I will cut that out as well and see if that helps. Thanks again.
Terry

Postby JeffN » Tue Jul 22, 2008 7:21 am

Terry wrote:Thanks Jeff, that helps. My specifics are that I'm 5'11" and weighed 155 pre-pregnancy. I'm currently around 6 months along and have gained 22 pounds so far. I'm 40 years old and caucasian. Prior to my pregnancy, I used to ride my bike about 50 miles per week and walked the dog twice a day. Due to some hemorrhaging early on, I had to stop all exercise and limit any time on my feet. Even though the problem resolved, I now have cervix issues that cause me to continue to severely limit any activity. I'm sure that my "advanced maternal age" and my total lack of exercise have contributed to the diabetes diagnosis.

Your advice really helps because all the non-veggie diabetes advice says to limit grains, no potatoes, eat lots of protein and limit fruit. I was eating a lot of whole wheat pasta but I will cut that out as well and see if that helps. Thanks again.

Hi Terry

Glad to be of help.

The main problem with "carbs" is that 90% of the carbs consumed in American are refined, processed carbohydrates/grains/starches and they are low in fiber which is an important issue for blood sugar control.

Make sure most all the ones you consume are as "intact" as possible.

If your activity levels are limited, then do what you can within the limits and focus more on what you can control, which is the diet and keep a watch on your numbers.

Best Wishes!

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby alenmcmilan » Thu Jun 24, 2010 12:03 am

The most think is first of diabetics person have to avoid sweet food, For that they should have control some food. Soya been,Tomato,Lettuce,Onion,Is most effectable food for this patient.
alenmcmilan

Return to Jeff Novick, RD