Quick Recipes (With Pictures)

A place to get your questions answered from expert dietitian Jeff Novick, RD

Moderators: JeffN, carolve

Quick Recipes (With Pictures)

Postby JeffN » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:16 pm

Ok, several of you have been asking for the "quick recipes" that I have discussed in my talks at the McDougall Programs.

So, here they are.. :)

However, realize I do not measure and weigh food, so I do not have "exact" recipes and encourage you to adapt these to your own liking. All dishes make up enough for 2 people to get at least 2 meals (or more) and can easily be refrigerated and/or frozen for later use.

They consist of 5 basic ingredients and all meals can be cooked in around 5-15 minutes from start to end. All are prepared in a large pasta "style" pot. I think mine is an 7 or 8 qt.

The 5 main ingredients.

1) Canned Tomatoes (whole and/or pureed), No Salt Added, 28 oz.

2) Canned Beans, No Salt Added (Eden Foods are my favorite), 14 oz

3) Frozen Vegetables (individual and/or variety mixes without any of the sauce/spice packs)

4) A Starchy Vegetables (brown rice, potato, sweet potato, barley, etc)

5) Spice/Seasoning

By changing the type of bean, type of vegetables, the type of starch and the seasoning, you can come up with different dishes. I make everything salt free and no salt added. You are welcome to sprinkle some salt on top at the table before eating.

Dish 1 - Curried Indian Potato Stew

1) 2 cans whole tomatoes
2) 1-2 cans Garbanzo Beans
3) Frozen Cauliflower (1- 1 1/2 lb) , peas (1/2 lb), onions (1/4-1/2 pound)
4) 2 large potatoes
5) Salt Free Curry spice mix

Microwave the potatoes. While they are zapping, put all other ingredients in the pot and heat. When potatoes are done, cut into 1 inch pieces and add to pot. Simmer 5 minutes. Top with fresh cilantro Enjoy.

(can be served with brown rice which you can cook in 10 minutes while potatoes are cooking by using Success Brand Quick Cooking Brown Rice)

Dish 2- Mexican Beans and Rice

1) 2 cans whole tomatoes (or 1 can whole, 1 can pureed)
2) 1 cans Pinto Beans, 1 can black beans
3) Birdseye Frozen Pepper and Onion Mix (1.5 lb), and Corn (1/2 lb)
4) Success Quick Cooking Brown Rice (large bags)
5) Mexican Spice Mix, or Hot Sauce

Cook Brown rice. While brown rice is cooking, add all other ingredients to the pot and heat. When rice is done place rice in a bowl. Top with beans, veggie and tomato mix. Top with fresh cilantro Enjoy

Dish 3 - Italian Pasta Primavera

1) 1 Can whole tomatoes, 1 can tomato puree
2) 2 cans Dark Red Kidney Beans
3) Frozen Broccoli, Cauliflower, Carrots (2 lbs total)
4) Whole Grain Pasta (1 lb)
5) Italian Spice Mix

Cook Pasta. While pasta is cooking, put all other ingredients into large pot and heat. When pasta is done, rinse, and them mix together with the tomato vegetable mix. Top with fresh parsley or basil. Enjoy!

Dish 4 - Longevity Soup

1) 1 can whole tomatoes, 1 can pureed
2) Your favorite beans (I use kidney or garbanzo)
3) 1.5- 2 lbs of Your favorite frozen veggies plus 1 lb of frozen collards
4) Your favorite starch (potato, sweet potato rice, barley) cooked separate then added
5) your favorite seasoning (I use fresh ginger, garlic)

Place tomatoes in large pot. Add in 2 28 oz cans of water. Then add in all other ingredients. Bring to a boil and then simmer 15 minutes. Enjoy!

Dish 5 - New Orleans Jambalaya

1) 2 28oz can Whole Tomatoes (No Salt Added)
2) 2 cans 14oz can red beans or kidney beans (No Salt Added)
3) 2 lbs frozen Vegetables, corn, carrots, zucchini, yellow squash (equal parts)
4) Success Quick Cooking Brown rice (1 large bag)
5) Spice mix

Cook Brown Rice (Success Quick Cooking), While rice is cooking, place tomatoes, and veggies in pot and heat. Add in 4 cloves garlic, diced, 1 bay leaf, 1/2 tsp thyme, 4 tsp paprika, .25 to .5 tsp cayenne pepper. And heat.

When rice is done, place in a bowl and serve tomato vegetable mix on top.

Good luck.

Remember, there are no rules. The main issue is that they can all be made simple and inexpensively in 10-15 minutes with almost no preparation, cutting, chopping, dicing, or much of a clean up.

If you try them and have ways to improve them, feel free to share them here.

Thanks

In Health
Jeff

UPDATE:

I was making one of these last night & realize that the veggies in each one may be double (4 lbs) than what I said..

I made the Mexican one and used 4 one pound bags of Birdseye onion/pepper stir fry mix and about 1/2 lb corn.

but either way would work, I just like lots of veggies to increase nutrient density & lower calorie density.

;)
Last edited by JeffN on Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:50 am, edited 9 times in total.
JeffN

Postby luvoatmeal » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:29 pm

Thank you Mr. Novick,

I have been lurking here just waiting for you to post these, and they do indeed look quick, easy, and healthy. I'm sure they'll be tasty too!! :-D
luvoatmeal

Postby Anne-Marie » Thu Jun 05, 2008 3:42 pm

the cilantro is not required is it? :P
I hate the stuff!!!
McDougalling since Dec '06
Anne-Marie
Anne-Marie

Typical Day's Menu

Postby Becky » Sun Jun 08, 2008 5:03 pm

Hi Jeff! First, let me say how much I appreciate you joining with the McDougall's and participating on the discussion board. Your valuable input is greatly appreciated! Also, my husband and I enjoyed your presentations at the Advanced Study Weekend in 2006 (I think that was the year!).

Forgive me if this has already been addressed (I'm still trying to get caught up after being away from the forum for awhile), but would you mind posting what a typical day's menu looks like for you? I am guessing the five dinners you posted are typical for dinner, but what about breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and do you ever have dessert? Would really love to get a glimpse of your overall eating habits.

Thanks in advance!

Becky
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com
Becky

Postby Zena » Mon Jun 09, 2008 5:29 pm

WooHoo! I've been looking forward to this post. Thanks so much for sharing these great recipe ideas with us, Jeff.

Could I bug you for one more? The recipe you told me at the April 10-day program for the oatmeal bars.

Thanks again!
Zena
Zena

Postby JeffN » Tue Jun 10, 2008 3:50 am

Zena wrote:WooHoo! I've been looking forward to this post. Thanks so much for sharing these great recipe ideas with us, Jeff.

Could I bug you for one more? The recipe you told me at the April 10-day program for the oatmeal bars.

Thanks again!
Zena

Thanks.

I was making one of these last night & realize that the veggies in each one maybe double (4 lbs) or slightly more.

I made the mexican one and used 4 one pound bags of birdseye onion/pepper stir fry mix and about 1/2 lb corn.

In regard to the oatmeal bars...

there are 2 ways to make them..

1) take leftover oatmeal, or make enough so you know there will be leftovers, ;) and if you didn't make it with fresh fruit in it, add in some banana, apples, berries etc &/or your favorite fruits, some cinnamon, and then put it in a baking pan and spread it out so it is no more than about an inch thick. then bake it at 350 till it is starting to brown. serve. You can let cool & cut into "bars" or "cookies" if you like or just top it right out of oven with fresh fruit and/or fresh fruit sauce which you make by blending fresh &/or frozen fruit with some water.

2) make from scratch by taking regular oats and mixing 1:1 with water & then adding fruit & spice & baking. You do not have to pre-cook the oatmeal.

enjoy!!
Jeff
JeffN

Recipes

Postby SueZQuilter » Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:48 am

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for posting these recipes...I too have been awaiting their appearance.

Also, thank you Zena for remembering to ask Jeff about the bars/cookies that he talked about during our 10-day program.
Take good care,

Sue D.

"Be the change you want to see in the world." Unknown.
SueZQuilter

Re: Typical Day's Menu

Postby JeffN » Wed Jun 11, 2008 7:34 am

Becky wrote:Forgive me if this has already been addressed (I'm still trying to get caught up after being away from the forum for awhile), but would you mind posting what a typical day's menu looks like for you? I am guessing the five dinners you posted are typical for dinner, but what about breakfast, lunch, and snacks, and do you ever have dessert? Would really love to get a glimpse of your overall eating habits.

Hi Becky.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewt ... 0935#50935

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Zena » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:19 pm

Thanks for the oatmeal bar recipe, Jeff!
Zena

Thanks Jeff!

Postby Becky » Wed Jun 11, 2008 3:20 pm

That was very helpful!!
See how I am McDougallizing the recipes in
Robin Roberston's "1000 Vegan Recipes" -
http://testing-1000vr.blogspot.com
Becky

Postby bcmike » Tue Jan 20, 2009 4:19 am

Morning,
Can someone tell me where i can find the salt free spice mixes ? I'm in nyc and can't seem to find them. Any particular brand ?
thx
Mike
bcmike

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jan 20, 2009 5:19 am

I, too, would like to know where to find the salt-free spices. I'm particulary interested in finding out about the Indian spices.
Starchyme

Postby JeffN » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:52 am

Most all spice companies make salt-free spices these days. These include McCormicks, Spice Island, Mrs Dash, Spice Hunter, etc etc

Sometimes they are not labeled as salt free, but you just have to read the ingredients.

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/c-Salt_Free.html

http://www.thespicehouse.com/spices-by- ... ree-blends

http://www.americanspice.com/catalog/se ... RCH_ENGINE

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Starchyme » Tue Jan 20, 2009 6:55 am

Thanks, Jeff.
Starchyme

Postby Suebee » Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:12 am

This looks positively tasteless to me and tomatoes in everything! That's the problem with this program--like my cousin said who also tried it, what if tomatoes doesn't agree with you? Nor can I eat tons of vegetables that are hard to chew like corn which Dr. Mcdougall puts in a lot of his recipes. Everything a watery soup.
Suebee

Next

Return to Jeff Novick, RD