Jeff, Which McDougall Program for Pre-Diabetic?

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Jeff, Which McDougall Program for Pre-Diabetic?

Postby Clary » Tue May 20, 2008 8:57 pm

Jeff, which of the McDougall Programs do you generally recommend for pre-diabetics who are new to McDougalling?

~Regular 12 Day Program
~Mary's Mini
~MWL
~Healthy Heart program--Diabetic Version
~or_____ ???

What about coffee and tea? --and a daily glass of wine?

The last lab fasting blood sugar was read to be at the level just before crossing into the "Diabetic" diagnosis, and there are hypoglycemic symptoms of shaking and heavily perspiring when the blood sugar crashes--esp. after consuming any kind of simple sugars, and a several years problem in the past with hypoglycemic symptoms (diagnosis "validated" with 4 and 6 hr. glucose tolerance tests--several years ago), plus a strong family history (wide and deep), including deaths, due to complications of diabetes.

In your opinion, which McDougall dietary program is the best for me to recommend to someone really motivated and ready to make lifestyle changes and prevent progression of the condition, and who wants to avoid getting on meds and wants to avoid a Doctor recommended "stomach band".

--or is that enough information?

Thanks.
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Re: Jeff, Which McDougall Program for Pre-Diabetic?

Postby JeffN » Wed May 21, 2008 7:21 am

Clary wrote:In your opinion, which McDougall dietary program is the best for me to recommend to someone really motivated and ready to make lifestyle changes and prevent progression of the condition, and who wants to avoid getting on meds and wants to avoid a Doctor recommended "stomach band".

Hi Clary

The best program is the one they will do! :)

In all sincerity, they will all work. However, I would recommend the MWL program for several reasons.

1) it will produce the best results the quickest (which is a real motivating force for many people)

2) it provides enough variety of foods, recipes and meals that they won't feel deprived.

3) if they "fall short" of the program, they are still on the regular McDougall program.

4) it eliminates all the "processed" foods made from flours, which can be very helpful for a diabetic.

5) it eliminates most all calorie dense foods, which can also help with diabetes and will help weight issues and avoid the "band."

They will also need to be active for at least 30 minutes, most days (5-6) at the equivalent of a brisk walk.

If they were to make a 30 day commitment, they would see incredible results and feel more inspired and motivated. In addition, they should start seeing results in as little as the first week.

If they are at a point where the MD is recommending medication and/or a stomach band, then this is an important time, and an important decision. I wish them the best and applaud your efforts to help them.

(PS, I would keep the wine to no more than 1/2 to 1 glass day at most and encourage them to choose tea over coffee but the food and activity will be the biggest factors)

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Thank you, Jeff...

Postby Clary » Wed May 21, 2008 10:10 am

Thank you for your help, Jeff.

I truly can't imagine what it must be like at 50-something to be facing for the first time ever a total change in diet--eating/drinking, exercise, and lifestyle... --and all the details and all there is to learn. --and family members not understanding. --and living in the south where "nanna'" pudding, bar-be-cue, greens n beans cooked in bacon fat, etc. is normal fare! ...NOT ever having even thought about anything but the SAD and Lifestyle. How strange and overwhelming these changes must seem, and making them while scared and confused about health and "treatment" choices, etc.

I will help her all I can--at as many levels as I am able.

She is now reading at the www.drmcdougall.com website. I'll give her the TominTN inspired wiki address tomorrow and your website address.

Thanks again. You are a gem--with knowledge and advice more valuable than GOLD! :nod:
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby r-marie » Tue May 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Jeff, you said in #5 the MWL is best for pre-diabetics because "it eliminates most all calorie dense foods, which can also help with diabetes and will help weight issues and avoid the "band."

I'm pre-diabetic also, but I weigh only 92 lbs and 5 ft tall. Is there a way to use this diet but gain or keep my present weight?

r-marie
r-marie

Postby JeffN » Tue May 27, 2008 8:19 pm

r-marie wrote:Jeff, you said in #5 the MWL is best for pre-diabetics because "it eliminates most all calorie dense foods, which can also help with diabetes and will help weight issues and avoid the "band."

I'm pre-diabetic also, but I weigh only 92 lbs and 5 ft tall. Is there a way to use this diet but gain or keep my present weight?

r-marie

Sure, you can include a few more of the calorie denser foods, but for best results with your blood sugars, I would still dramatically reduce and/or eliminate all flour products.

You may want to read these two threads. One is on calorie density and the other one (longer thread) is on someone in similar shoes as you and the success he is having.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6032

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6321

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby r-marie » Wed May 28, 2008 7:45 am

Thanks Jeff,

I just received 2 McDougall books which I ordered before joining this forum: 12 Days to dynamic health, and The new McDougall Cookbook.

Looks like I better get the MWL book as well - and keep reading the posts on this great Forum.

I'm really enjoying Dr. McDougall's retelling of how he got to where he is today.

r-marie
r-marie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD