Budwig diet

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Budwig diet

Postby thorny » Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:24 am

Hi Jeff,

I'm new to this group (and this diet) and I have a question. Are you familiar with the Budwig diet? What are your feelings about it. I had been using the flax seed oil and low-fat organic cottage cheese mixture as a preventitive against cancer but after listening to you and Dr's McDougall, Esselstyn, and Campbell I have set this protocol aside for now.
I'm no expert to be sure but I have read that when you thoroughly mix these ingredients together (with a blender) it changes their molecular structure allowing the omega 3's in the oil to clean the cells (or something like that). Please comment and thank you!!! Peter Thornton
thorny

Re: Budwig diet

Postby JeffN » Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:35 am

thorny wrote:Hi Jeff,

I'm new to this group (and this diet) and I have a question. Are you familiar with the Budwig diet? What are your feelings about it. I had been using the flax seed oil and low-fat organic cottage cheese mixture as a preventitive against cancer but after listening to you and Dr's McDougall, Esselstyn, and Campbell I have set this protocol aside for now.
I'm no expert to be sure but I have read that when you thoroughly mix these ingredients together (with a blender) it changes their molecular structure allowing the omega 3's in the oil to clean the cells (or something like that). Please comment and thank you!!! Peter Thornton

Hi Peter

While there many be so many approaches to cancer, the reality is, few if any have any real science and documentation behind them. And, as you can tell, many do not even make sense in the light of basic nutrition, health and even common sense.

The most important question one can ask, if they were looking into any treatment approach, is if there is any well done documented evidence of what they are saying. We have been studying the relation to lifestyle and cancer for many decades and there is some good evidence out there for what works.

I just reviewed the latest cancer reports in 2 newsletters on my website so you may want to review them as they have lots of valuable info in them. And, as I concluded, do not let the simplicity of them fool you.

While omega 3s are essential and important in our defense against cancer, the budwig protocol does not really have any evidence to support its claims. Flaxseed oil is a highly unstable oil.

If I was facing the challenges of cancer, I would focus my energy on doing everything I could to implement all that we know is protective. I would make sure I included lots of fresh fruits, veggies, legumes, intact whole grains, adeqaute essential fats, and include regular activity, sunshine, rest, relaxation, fresh air, and adequate sleep.

I would also make sure to avoid all things none to be troublesome.

I would limit and/or eliminate all oils (especially those high in omega 6s), hydrogenated fat, trans fat, saturated fats, high fat, excess body weight, animal products, red meat, processed meats, dairy products (including cottage cheese), salt, refined carbohydrates/sugars, alcohol, tobacco, and excess calcium.

I would focus over 90% of my attention, if not 100% on the above efforts.

Just that alone has been shown in studies to:

- reduced key risk factors for breast, colon, and prostate cancer by over 50% in just 3 weeks . Journal of the National Cancer Institute, 86: 1419, 1994; Nutrition and Cancer, 31: 127,1998; Nutrition and Cancer, 38: 158, 2000; The Journal of Urology, 166: 1185, 2001.

- slow the growth of both breast cancer and prostate cancer cells in in-vitro laboratory testing, and even cause tumor cells to self-destruct. Prostate, 56: 201, 2003; Nutrition and Cancer, 2006

- and most recently, in 2005, show that men with prostate cancer were able to avoid aggressive treatment, surgery, radiation, etc., by exercising regularly, increasing their fruit-and-vegetable intake, and reducing dietary fat to 10% of total calories. Journal of Urology, 174:1065, 2005

In health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD