High triglycerides

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

High triglycerides

Postby zanytranscriber » Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:09 pm

I have really high triglycerides and cholesterol. I have read that the triglyderides are affected by carbohydrates. If this is true, then will a high-carb diet make them go even higher? My doctor recommended the McDougall diet last week when I got the results of my most recent labs. If this doesn't work, then he wants an artery scan and will most likely start medication. I'm pretty sure that the low fat part will work on my cholesterol, but I do worry about the carbs and triglycerides.
zanytranscriber

My numbers

Postby SactoBob » Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:19 pm

After 16 days on the Esselstyn diet, which I think is the same or similar to the McDougall cardiovascular diet, my total chol dropped from 247 to 120, my LDL dropped from 176 to 64, and my triglycerides dropped from 170 to 137.
SactoBob

Postby TominTN » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:42 am

Hi, Sandi.

The carbs that raise triglycerides are *refined* carbs - flour products, sugar, etc. The McDougall program recommends *complex* carbs -- potatoes, whole grains like rice, oat groats, millet, etc., sweet potatos, squash, and so forth. Refined carbs have lost their fiber and lots of their nutrients. Complex carbs take longer to digest and deliver a lot more good stuff that your body needs, and are not likely to raise triglycerides.

Too much fruit can raise triglycerides, too. That's why Dr. McDougall recommends limiting fruits for some folks.
Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't, you're probably right.

Weight Loss Through the Magic of Calorie Density: http://wp.me/p1utH8-v
TominTN

Re: My numbers

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:59 am

Well, for once I can say, listen to your doctor!! :)

Programs like this, that are based on unrefined, unprocessed high fiber carbohydrates have been shown to dramatically lower triglycerides and cholesterol in a short period. Some people, depending on how sensitive them may be, may need some minor fine tuning in regard to their triglycerides, but in general, this program is highly effective.

The reason you often hear that low fat high carbohydrate diets will raise triglycerides is because in those situations they were consuming typical American Heart Association/American Dietitic Association low fat, hi carb, low fiber diets which include lots of refined and processed carbs, refined sugars and junk foods . In addition, in many of those studies, they required the subjects to maintain the same caloric intake so they are overeating.

On a program like this, where you eat "ad libitum" or until you are comfortably full (without a predefined caloric intake), caloric intake can drop up to 40%.

I would recommend limiting the amount of processed grains, even if they are whole grain and focus on intact whole grains and all the fresh fruits, vegetables, starchy vegetables, and legumes as described in the Maximum Weight Loss Program.

If you do that, and add in some regular activity, you will be amazed at how fast your numbers drop.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:45 pm

Carroll wrote:My dh has always had high triglycerides and cholesterol, but after six months on the McDougall diet his levels were 176 cholesterol and 108 for triglycerides (the last test before that was 241 triglycerides and 227 cholesterol). Not only does he eat loads of carbs, but he also started including two fruits a day... premcdougalling my dh was not much for fruit.

Thanks!

That is a 23% drop in Cholesterol and a 55% drop in Triglycerides.

Amazing! And Congratulations.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD