Blood tests for food sensitivity

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Blood tests for food sensitivity

Postby Texgal » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:00 am

On the PCRM website, under migraines, the test by Serammune Labs is mentioned.

This is used instead of the elimination diet. What is you opinion of the test? I realize Dr. Neal Barnard is well respected. Thanks.
Texgal

Re: Blood tests for food sensitivity

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 18, 2008 11:42 am

Texgal wrote:On the PCRM website, under migraines, the test by Serammune Labs is mentioned.

This is used instead of the elimination diet. What is you opinion of the test? I realize Dr. Neal Barnard is well respected. Thanks.

Hi,

As far as I know the Serammune Physicians Lab uses the ELISA/ACT test. This test was developed by Russell Jaffe, M.D., Ph.D. and is performed by culturing the patient's lymphocytes and seeing how they react to up to 300 foods, minerals, preservatives, and other environmental substances.

Although the ELISA/ACT test can assess the levels of certain immune responses, these are not necessarily related to allergy.

While I am for anything that works and can help, I am not a fan of these tests in regard to food sensitivities. While they sometimes can offer some insight, you also often get conflicting results from them. And, there are often many false positives, meaning you may end up avoiding foods, you are not really allergic to and possible even vice versa.

I would be more impressed with these tests if there was some published data on their effectiveness in some peer reviewed medical journals, which there are not

I am a big fan of elimination diets which are very effective. While they take longer and much more effort, the amount of information you learn about your personal reaction to different foods is invaluable.

In Health
Jeff Novick, MS, RD
JeffN

Postby susie » Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:33 pm

Jeff I have noticed that I can have very different reations to the same food depending on how it's prepared. I like fresh corn, stripped of the cob and cooked in jumbalayas. However if it is popped, or made into corn cakes it does not agree with me at all.

So I have to test foods in various ways. Interestingly, rice doesn't bother me when made into rice cakes. I am gluten intolerant and even a tiny bit can cause problems.
susie

Return to Jeff Novick, RD