Caroveggie's 5K Journal

Share your daily McDougall menus and/or keep a journal describing your personal progress.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Caroveggie's 5K Journal

Postby Caroveggie » Wed May 27, 2009 9:45 am

Week 1

I'm going to track my training for my first 5K run here. I'm going to follow Jeff Galloway's 15 week 5K training schedule - http://www.jeffgalloway.com/training/5k.html.

A friend and I are going to do the Palo Alto moonlight run, which I think will be Oct. 2, 2009 (doesn't look like their website is up-to-date yet.) She did it another year and says it's really fun, they give you lots of freebies and the money goes to South Bay charities.

I'm also becoming tighter with my diet, really cutting out oil and junk foods. I'm having mostly roots/tubers or beans for my starches, occasionally rye bread, pasta, brown rice, sometimes white if that's all that's available (like I'm eating out.) I also want to add more fruits because I like them. :)

This is the first week. Technically I started a bit last week because I walked/jogged/ran 10 minutes on the treadmill and have been swimming, biking, and had a yoga class also to cross train and stretch. I belong to the YMCA which is great because there's a pool, treadmills, and lots of yoga classes I can drop into to stretch out.

I haven't done actual running since Friday because I've been busy, but today I start up again. Yesterday was a cross training day because I biked to work and then took a long walk last night too. It was a little cool, but a nice night.

Wish me luck!
Caroveggie

Re: Caroveggie's 5K Journal

Postby Clary » Wed May 27, 2009 10:13 am

Caroveggie wrote: Wish me luck!

You got it! :thumbsup:
"LIFE always begins again." --Edmond Bordeaux Székely
Clary

Postby nomikins » Wed May 27, 2009 10:44 am

This is fantastic, and I have no doubt you will do extremely well. I am going to follow your progress. I'm very excited for you!

The most important thing is to have the correct running shoes. Don't get your shoes at a big box store. If you want to be a serious runner and NOT get injured, the correct shoes are CRITICAL. Go to a locally owned running store and get them to fit you properly. Running shoes are typically 1/2 to a full size larger than your street shoe. Also, the quality is superior to that in the big box store. For example, the Nike running shoes at a specialty running store are different in quality and function than those sold at a big box store.

You may also want to check to see if there are any beginner running training programs when you get your running shoes. The group dynamic with a group of beginners really helps make the training fun. There is a Fleet Feet Sports in San Fransisco. They have a fantastic beginner runner's training program. They do an excellent job fitting you to the right shoes.

I have completed 14 half marathons and a full marathon in the past five years. I started from ZERO. Now I help coach beginning runners and give motivational talks about running at the back of the pack. I have seen women really gain confidence in doing what they thought was impossible.

Good luck, and may the wind be at your back!
nomikins

Postby Caroveggie » Wed May 27, 2009 11:15 am

hey thank you so much for your input! I am waiting for two blisters to totally heal before going shoe shopping. (They're almost gone and don't hurt.) I'm definitely going to get proper shoes. I've been planning on training at the YMCA treadmills or with a friend from work but I might check out the beginning running group...
Caroveggie

Postby nomikins » Wed May 27, 2009 11:21 am

Ouch, blisters. Rule number two and so very important: Do not wear cotton socks. Cotton is the enemy. Cotton gets wet and stays wet when you sweat. It makes your feet stay wet. Softened, wet skin rubs against the sock and the friction causes blisters.

Actually, I do not wear any cotton when I run. The wicking material of the tech fabric really helps to keep you cooler. Again, the cotton will get wet and stay wet, and it will serve to overheat your body. It can make a big difference when training in the heat of summer.

JUST SAY NO to cotton!

One more thing. I can't tell by your handle if you're a female, but if you are, please get fitted for a proper sports bra.
nomikins

Postby Caroveggie » Wed May 27, 2009 11:41 am

lol, yes, I'm female. I'm not very booby (is that unfortunate? I actually like it and I'm fine with my boobs :rolleyes: ) so I may just be fine with my regular bras, I'll have to see. Most important for me is comfiness.

I'm checking out the Fleet Feet website and I'm going there once my blisters are all gone. I got them from not wearing socks with work shoes. I only walked around at lunch last week and that 1/2 hour gave me blisters! So I've been wearing flip flops when possible and my old sneakers which are very comfy and so far there hasn't been any pain, but they're still there..

So looks like I'll also get running socks. I'm not sure what kind mine are. I have some cushy ones and I like the Old Navy slip on ones.

Usually it's a bit cool or windy here so I'll have to experiment with clothing. I know when I bike ride I often start with a coat and end up putting it in my backpack.

Thanks for all your advice, very helpful!
Caroveggie

Postby nomikins » Wed May 27, 2009 4:34 pm

I noticed you said you were going to train on a treadmill. If at all possible, make sure you get outdoor runs in. Treadmill and road are two completely different animals. Save the treadmill for rainy days (but I don't let a little or a lot of rain stop me anyway - I once did ten miles in 39 degree freezing rain - I'm nuts!). You'll appreciate running outdoors come race day. But, it's great that you're working toward a goal!
nomikins

Postby Caroveggie » Wed May 27, 2009 4:45 pm

yeah, my friend at work mentioned that also. I like the treadmill because it has a timer and I don't like the wind (often windy in SF). But I'll have to get practice out in the elements. Thank goodness we have the beautiful GG park and the panhandle.

Just checked my blisters and they're still there, they haven't popped. :( At least they're not hurting but I don't want to go shoe shopping until they're gone.

Guess it's more swimming, biking, and yoga in the mean time.
Caroveggie

yesterday

Postby Caroveggie » Thu May 28, 2009 8:54 am

I did 11 minutes jogging on the treadmill (barefoot because of those stupid blisters, sh..) Also I swam for a bit before. I was going to take a yoga class to get more stretching in but I was hungry and I've been in dire need of comfy shoes, so I ended up going shoe shopping at Payless (not for running shoes, just need regular shoes pretty badly.) I found 4 comfy sneaker type shoes for $90. Compare that to Nike where I only found one slightly comfy pair for $100. My favorite sneakers are holey now and they don't make them any more, but the 4 I got to replace them are the same brand (Champion) and fairly close in comfort level. Blisters are still there but didn't hurt with all the trying on of shoes. However I'll wait until they're all gone before going to Fleet Feet for the running shoes.

With exercising and shopping I got home pretty late so I made something similar to one of Jeff's recommendations:

1 can whole peeled tomatoes
1 can chopped tomatoes with onions and garlic
1 can black beans rinsed
1/3 bag frozen broccoli, cauliflower, carrots
2 potatoes

I peeled and nuked the potatoes and cooked everything else on the stove and then put it all together in a large casserole. It was pretty good with a lot of nutritional yeast on top. I have a lot left and brought some for breakfast or lunch today too.

Today is a cross training day. I was too sleepy to bike to work so after work I'll go swimming and try to catch a yoga class afterwards.
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu May 28, 2009 2:22 pm

doing some research on proper stretching..
Caroveggie

Postby Caroveggie » Thu May 28, 2009 9:31 pm

I didn't swim after work because the only library in SF that had Brida was in the Marina, and I forgot my bus pass this morning so I thought instead of swimming I'll get my cross training in with walking.

So I walked from my work downtown to the Marina and got the book, ate at a Thai restaurant where I ordered veggies and brown rice cooked without oil (very good), and then walked/hiked through the Presidio and all the way home to the Richmond. I'm not sure how much walking it was but it was long.

I was wearing one of my new pairs of shoes. Fairly comfy but not enough cushioning for that long of a walk. Tomorrow I'm wearing the gushy sneakers.

Tomorrow's also another 10-15 minutes on the treadmill. The blisters are still there. This is very annoying. They're on top of my pinky toes, one each toe. At least they don't hurt but I just want them to go away.
Caroveggie

Good Work Caroveggie...

Postby f1jim » Fri May 29, 2009 4:21 pm

Proud of you for taking this on. Run some for me, ok?
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Caroveggie » Fri May 29, 2009 6:55 pm

ok, I'll run some for Jim but not today. Today's a running day but my new shoes weren't as comfy as I thought and the blisters still haven't healed. Instead of going to the gym to do the treadmill I'm now home, about to eat my favorite meal these days - sweet potato with roasted red pepper hummus.

I think I'll start the real running once the blisters are all gone and I can get decent shoes.

In the mean time I think I'll keep up with the swimming and biking, I like those and they don't hurt my toes. Also yoga but sometimes it's tough to fit it in because by the time the class comes around it's dinner time and then I end up eating really late.

I do feel like running though, except for my pinky toes I mean. What I mean is I feel like I have the energy to run and my muscle soreness is gone too. I did a little stretching at the bus stop today.

I have also been thinking about kickboxing for my cross training, that was a lot of fun in college but they don't offer it too much at the YMCA, you have to find an independent studio to do it, but I'm looking into it because I really liked the class I took ages ago.
Caroveggie

Postby nomikins » Sat May 30, 2009 7:02 am

Good work, keep moving! You know it all counts.
nomikins

busy weekend

Postby Caroveggie » Mon Jun 01, 2009 8:40 am

swam a little bit Saturday and Sunday I got my running shoes but didn't run. I did a lot of walking (trekked back home from Fleet Feet through the Presidio) but the only running I've done was this morning on the way to work because I was late. (Still feels like a good workout though!)

However, I now have running shoes. Those stupid blisters are still there but they don't seem to be affected by anything, no pain yet, so I'm going to try running, perhaps tonight to start off with a good workout, proper stretching, all that.

I also found Target has my prescious Champion brand shoes and I found some more that are comfy for walking around in. I thought I was a size 8 1/2 but maybe I'm a 9. Anyway, I'm glad I now have an assortment of comfy shoes. (I returned 3 of the 4 back to Payless because they weren't that comfy after all.) I'm going to test out my Fleet Feet shoes (I bought 3, yikes!) and return any that aren't working. I wore the trail running shoes on my hike through the Presidio but I don't think they're cushioned enough so they may be the first to go. I have 30 days to test them.

Anyway, I'm glad I have good shoes. The good socks are expensive so I only bought 2 pairs. I have to get some more good socks somewhere though.

I'm also going to make a playlist for running. Some songs make you feel energetic. Right now I'm thinking this U2 song and also this new one I got from Starbucks, something about Somewhere Around Midnight, or something like that. I really like. (Ran to it on my way to work!)
Caroveggie

Next

Return to My Daily Menus & Journals