Nutrition Programs

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Nutrition Programs

Postby HealthFreak » Sun Mar 01, 2009 3:53 pm

Jeff,

Are there any nutrition degree or certificate programs that teach plant based nutrition? I live in Tacoma Washington so I know about Bastyr. They have several degree programs that I’m interested in, but they only offer daytime in-person classes. I’m looking for programs that accommodate working adults and offer online or night classes.

I’m thinking about a possible 2nd career in the nutrition field. I’m not thinking about it for the money, I’m thinking about it because I am passionate about plant based nutrition. I believe that the diet endorsed by you, Dr McDougall, T Colin Campbell and the other leaders in the field, is the only hope for solving the health care crisis and environmental crisis that the world is facing.
HealthFreak

Re: Nutrition Programs

Postby JeffN » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:02 am

HealthFreak wrote:Jeff,

Are there any nutrition degree or certificate programs that teach plant based nutrition? I live in Tacoma Washington so I know about Bastyr. They have several degree programs that I’m interested in, but they only offer daytime in-person classes. I’m looking for programs that accommodate working adults and offer online or night classes.

I’m thinking about a possible 2nd career in the nutrition field. I’m not thinking about it for the money, I’m thinking about it because I am passionate about plant based nutrition. I believe that the diet endorsed by you, Dr McDougall, T Colin Campbell and the other leaders in the field, is the only hope for solving the health care crisis and environmental crisis that the world is facing.

Greetings,

If you are thinking about a traditional education (which is the one I would recommend), you are not going to find one that is plant based. The reason is, if they are a traditional program, they are all fairly well standardized and set up to teach a certain curriculum which is set up based on the national certification exam.

Many Universities are trying to accomodate the adult/non-traditional learning and being more flexible in their scheduling of classes and programs. There are some traditional MS programs that can now be done online, except for the internship.

Here are some discussion on Nutrition Education that you may find relevant.

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5825

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=8825

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6022

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=5920

http://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=6230

Let me know if you have any other questions.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby Bambie113 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:14 am

Healthfreak, Good luck looking into night classes and such, ( I was putting together a question some what like yours for Jeff, but his response asnwered it so thanks for asking that!!!) I still haven't sent my application to Bastyr...
[url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/weight-loss/wTiqtcQ/]
[/url]
Bambie113

Postby HealthFreak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks Jeff. The links are very helpful.
HealthFreak

Postby HealthFreak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:31 pm

Bambie113 wrote:Healthfreak, Good luck looking into night classes and such, ( I was putting together a question some what like yours for Jeff, but his response asnwered it so thanks for asking that!!!) I still haven't sent my application to Bastyr...

Are you looking for night classes or online classes as an alternative to Bastyr?
HealthFreak

Postby HealthFreak » Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:46 pm

JeffN wrote:Let me know if you have any other questions.

I have a BA in Psychology and an MS in Information Systems/Management.

If I got into a degree program leading to an RD certification, would I be in an undergraduate or graduate program?
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:45 am

HealthFreak wrote:I have a BA in Psychology and an MS in Information Systems/Management.

If I got into a degree program leading to an RD certification, would I be in an undergraduate or graduate program?

Depends. Different programs at different schools have different requirements. I would recommend looking into doing it as a Graduate Degree, which, can often be complete in 1-2 years depending on your coursework and transfer credits.

Most programs require that you have already taken a basic set of related undergraduate science classes (microbiology, chemistry, organic chemistry, anatomy, etc). If you have not taken them, you will have to. Some community colleges offer special programs where you can do all the science credits in a summer.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:00 pm

Thanks
HealthFreak

Postby HealthFreak » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:48 pm

Jeff,

I've been looking at different nutrition programs at various schools. Here are two descriptions of programs at Seattle Pacific University. What is your opinion of the degree that does not lead to becoming an RD? Are there job opportunities for that type of degree? If I pursued that type of degree I would try and get into a masters program. I think this one is an undergraduate program.

Food & Nutritional Sciences

The Food and Nutritional Science emphasis provides a broad background for those students interested in food and nutrition, but who are not seeking the RD credential. Students with this degree may work in clinical, research, public health or food service settings. The degree also provides an interesting background for those interested in nursing, dental hygiene, the allied health professions such as occupational therapy and physical therapy, culinary programs and food science. Many of these graduate programs have additional admission requirements, so students should plan appropriately.

Dietetics
The Dietetics emphasis, also known as the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), at Seattle Pacific University provides the coursework required to become a Registered Dietitian (RD). Academic requirements and a suggested course sequence for the Dietetics emphasis are available in the undergraduate catalog (click here). After completing the DPD and the baccalaureate degree, a student wanting to become an RD must also complete a Dietetic Internship and take an exam offered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration http://www.cdrnet.org/. Additional information on educational requirements and the RD credential can be found from the American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org. A list of Dietetic Internships is also available on this page.
HealthFreak

Re

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 7:38 am

HealthFreak wrote:Jeff,

I've been looking at different nutrition programs at various schools. Here are two descriptions of programs at Seattle Pacific University. What is your opinion of the degree that does not lead to becoming an RD? Are there job opportunities for that type of degree? If I pursued that type of degree I would try and get into a masters program. I think this one is an undergraduate program.

Food & Nutritional Sciences

The Food and Nutritional Science emphasis provides a broad background for those students interested in food and nutrition, but who are not seeking the RD credential. Students with this degree may work in clinical, research, public health or food service settings. The degree also provides an interesting background for those interested in nursing, dental hygiene, the allied health professions such as occupational therapy and physical therapy, culinary programs and food science. Many of these graduate programs have additional admission requirements, so students should plan appropriately.

Dietetics
The Dietetics emphasis, also known as the Didactic Program in Dietetics (DPD), at Seattle Pacific University provides the coursework required to become a Registered Dietitian (RD). Academic requirements and a suggested course sequence for the Dietetics emphasis are available in the undergraduate catalog (click here). After completing the DPD and the baccalaureate degree, a student wanting to become an RD must also complete a Dietetic Internship and take an exam offered by the Commission on Dietetic Registration http://www.cdrnet.org/. Additional information on educational requirements and the RD credential can be found from the American Dietetic Association http://www.eatright.org. A list of Dietetic Internships is also available on this page.

I think the bottom line is to really think about what it is you want to do when you graduate because all the decisions are going to be based on helping you go to achieve what it is you really want to do.

In regard to the non-RD track, when you are done and you would go for a Masters, what would you get your Masters in?

The non RD track seems more for allied health professionals.

In my opinion, based on both my personal and professional experience over the years, I would recommend considering getting an undergraduate degree as an RD, and consider a graduate degree as an MSW. Or a dual graduate degree as an RD and a MSW.

THere are many limitations to the RD degree which the MSW would open up.

-The MSW is a primary care provider and can receive insurance reimbursement, where as the RD can't.

- The MSW focuses on counseling (and coaching) skills and actually licenses you as such, where the RD does not. Most of what you will be doing is counseling people in one way or another.

- The MSW and its profession is not bound to the same restrictions and/or influence the RD and its profession is under the ADA as the MSW can assist people in making lifestyle behavior changes as they see appropriate.

I think it is a viable option but of course, one you would have to explore on your own to see how it fits your goals, which of course, is going to be the most important thing in determining the direction you take.

Also, there is a great forum on VegSource which is run by my colleague Mark Rifkin, an RD, which is dedicated to these types of issues and questions.

http://www.vegsource.com/talk/nutrition/

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:26 am

Thanks Jeff.

What you describe is pretty close to what I'm thinking about. Bastyr has a degree that fits what I'm looking for, Master of Science in Nutrition and Clinical Health Psychology (MSNCHP).

There is a great MSW program right here in Tacoma at the UW that is geared toward working adults. I just need to figure out how to get the nutrition piece in there.

I'll check out the forum at vegsource.
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Fri Mar 06, 2009 8:31 am

HealthFreak wrote:What you describe is pretty close to what I'm thinking about. Bastyr has a degree that fits what I'm looking for, Master of Science in Nutrition and Clinical Health Psychology (MSNCHP)..

Check out the MSNCHP carefully as it may not be the same as what I am recommending. While some states allow a psychologist to practice with a MS, most require a PhD where as most all states license MSWs to practice with their MS degree. Psychology and MSW are usually two different tracks.

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Postby HealthFreak » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:46 am

JeffN wrote:
The non RD track seems more for allied health professionals.

Jeff

Jeff,

What do you mean by "allied health professionals"?
HealthFreak

Postby JeffN » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:51 am

HealthFreak wrote:What do you mean by "allied health professionals"?

Nursing, social work, exercise physiologists, physical therapy, occupational therapy, etc

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allied_health_professions

In Health
Jeff
JeffN

Return to Jeff Novick, RD