Salt

A place to get your questions answered from McDougall staff dietitian, Jeff Novick, MS, RDN.

Moderators: JeffN, carolve, Heather McDougall

Postby Suebee » Fri May 15, 2009 10:12 am

I don't oversalt (to my mind) and don't eat potato chips, taco chips, etc. BUT I won't give it up either because I suffer horribly when I do. I went to a Furhman health getaway last year and tried to eat his no salt diet. In a very short time, I was having trouble sleeping at night due to horrible leg cramps. It seems my body (and maybe this doesn't happen to anybody else) needs a certain amount of salt. When my kidneys dump excess sodium, it also dumps other minerals and I get leg cramps. Dr. Furhman admitted this happens to some people. Fortunately I had brought a salt shaker with me from home with my own vegetable salt (with also contains sea salt). As soon as I started using it, the cramps went away.
Severe leg spasms also occurred to me when I tried a serious macrobiotic diet many years ago (their healing diet is extremely low in salt contrary to what most people think), and as I was losing weight, I once again experienced this, and this severe cramp lasted over a week! Now this happened at the beginning of the diet. Perhaps in time this would have lessened but these extremely unpleasant circumstances have convinced me not to drop my salt intake.
Suebee

Postby Chumly » Fri May 15, 2009 10:43 am

Interesting experience Sue. I will be going to Dr. Fuhrman's health getaway this year in Florida. While I have cut down my salt quite substantially, I think it will be an adjustment when I eat the food at the getaway.

Michael
Chumly

Salt and Arrhythmia

Postby veithr » Fri May 15, 2009 3:52 pm

Jeff,

Thanks, these articles are very helpful and I have posted them on my blog. I noticed that in the survey article salt has been found to promote Left Ventricular Hypertrophy. Subjects who reduced salt intake had their LVH reduced. If I recall correctly, LVH is linked to cardiac arrhthmia, but I am going to look into those associations more.
Howard
veithr

salt

Postby Riva » Fri May 15, 2009 5:39 pm

I haven't been worrying about salt very much because I have very low BP which has gotten even lower with McDougalling. I have been salting my rice and vegetables with a salt shaker. I do eat canned things. Like right now. I was feeling quite healthy in my hotel room eating out of a can of artichoke hearts in water. I glanced at the stats and it has 450 mgs of salt to 35 calories for 1/2 cup. and it doesn't even taste salty.

That is interesting too because I can detect a little bit of oil a MILE away now. You canNOT trick me on oil. Yesterday I was in a vegan/raw foods restauratn in Seattle called Chaco Canyon. I ordered brown rice and steamed vegetables and make a BIG DEAL about no oil. The dish came and was lovely, rice, sliced beets, juliened carrots and zucchini and some sliced pickled something or other but I took one bite of the snow peas that were piled to one side and they tasted so so good I knew something was wrong. I put on my glasses and they were glistening. I was so annoyed.

But the salt thing I am not attuned to because I do eat it.

I think I still won't worry about it for awhile. I am going to get tested for cholesterol etc next week and am very anxious to see what my 100% adherence to (my version I suppose since I eat salt)
vegan
no added fats at all never
no white flour never
2 pieces of whole grain bread a day or less

I am excited and scared to see my results from 3 months of strict adherence. I do eat sugar and salt on top of things and when they come in cans so that could be the next to go. We shall see.
Riva
Riva

salt

Postby cass » Sat May 23, 2009 3:04 pm

When I was a kid, I used to pour salt on the meat that was served to me. Later, I figured out that this was because plain broiled meat tasted so horrible to me, that I was trying to cover up the taste. Blah.

In my adulthood, I have avoided most salt. I became adept at using spices, herbs, etc., and I am always amazed when anybody adds salt to things that I cook. The relatively extreme saltiness of restaurant food sometimes causes me to reject a dish. I don't eat in restaurants often, any more.

I find that I enjoy very small amounts of salt on certain foods, especially potatoes and cooked greens. I use the salt sparingly, on the surface of the food, right before I eat it. I use kosher salt or sea salt, and a tiny amount is amazingly satisfying.

I know that there has to be a balance of salt, potassium, etc., and plenty of water, in order to avoid certain problems. I do feel better when I drink plenty of water, and take a small amount of salt each day. My BP is excellent, despite my weight problems and my age.

Now, it's time to go eat my daily banana (unsalted). ;-)
It's never too late to try again and get it right!

cass

Previous

Return to Jeff Novick, RD