Chapped Lips! HELP!

For questions or comments about health, diseases, exercise or weight.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Chapped Lips! HELP!

Postby zimmpr » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:30 pm

Ok, I have had these chapped lips since like late Nov early Dec 2008. It is now mid March and I can't take it anymore. I started eating a primary veg diet in early Sept. Is there any correlation? Is this a deficiency of some sort? I read something about iron deficiency causing chelitis. I am sooo tired of this red ring around my mouth. I have tried all the OTC stuff from Chapstick to Carmex. Also have used Aquaphor (by Eucerin), Vaseline (hate that stuff). Even tried Neosporin. Tried rubbing sugar and olive oil on them. Some of these provide some temporary relief, but never cures the problem. I need some help. Any suggestions? Thanks so much.
Patty
"Eat to keep your body & our Planet healthier!"
zimmpr

Postby Ladybug » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:26 pm

I have suffered with chapped lips as long as I can remember. I'm 73 so that is a lot of years. I don't think it has any thing to do with diet but, that is just my thought. What I find helps, don't lick lips no matter how much you want. The best thing to use for me is Blistex. I keep it in my pocket and also in the bathroom. Use it everytime I think of it, When lips are really chapped bad I probable use it 2 or 3 times an hour. Also put on before bed and use again if you get up. Hope this helps. Main thing is don't lick lips.
Ladybug

Postby mtraezme » Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:57 pm

I've found that Bag Balm works really well. It's usually in the drugstore with the face lotions. It comes in a little tin. I think it was originally used on chapped cow udders, :eek: but now they sell it in the beauty aisle.
mtraezme

Postby Daffodil » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:11 am

Organic coconut oil also works great on chapped lips.
Daffodil

Hard to believe, but I gave up gluten-containing foods 3

Postby veggiecat » Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:13 am

weeks ago & it has really made a difference .My lips aare soft & the extremely dry ,peeling skin on my hands is going away,
Best wishes,Cat
veggiecat

Postby Daffodil » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:33 am

That is really interesting veggicat. I have heard of the gluten connection before, but had forgotten about it for awhile. I do have a thin book about it by a raw foodist guy about the grain connection for a whole list of ailments.
Daffodil

Postby MaryW » Wed Mar 25, 2009 1:52 pm

I used to have terribly chapped lips all winter long. They were red, peeling and sometimes even bled! My grandmother told me about Blistex (the cream in the white tube). I used it until my lips healed. It did burn quite a bit at first cuz my lips were so raw. After they healed, I switched to the solid Blistex in the green tube. That was years ago. Now I am never without some kind of lip balm. I put it on many times a day. I know some people say you can get "addicted" to lip balm, and some balms are actually drying to your lips. But this is what works for me. I haven't had chapped lips for years. If it means I have to have a tube with me wherever I go, then you better believe I will have one! (and I do)

What I like:
Just about all kinds of Blistex
Most kinds of Chapstick, especially the plain, original one
Vaseline in a pinch, but it doesn't last long
Some kinds of Burts Bees

What I don't like:
Carmex (makes my lips itch)
Trader Joes lip balm (I forget the exact name. an employee raved about it, but it made my lips itch too)
Soft Lips (very drying for me)
Most regular lipsticks are drying and have to be applied too often

I could go on and on. I guess I'm a bit obsessed. : ) but I NEVER want to have split and bleeding lips again!
MaryW

Postby stephanie » Wed Mar 25, 2009 9:25 pm

Just wanted to chime in with the lip balm I prefer. I'm a grad student in music, and I play my trombone for hours every day, so my lips take quite a beating, what with being used so much and alternating wet to dry all day long. I started using this stuff a few years ago and use it all the time now as my all-purpose lip balm, not just for after I've finished playing. I pretty much never have any major problems with super chapped lips.

I think this lip balm is available in some music stores, or you can buy it online.

http://www.chopsaver.com/
stephanie

Why can't I resist this?????

Postby f1jim » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:48 am

Whatever balm or salve you choose, apply it by rubbing it on someone elses lips and then have that person transfer the balm to yours. This will insure the proper amount and location. It will also insure regular application!
f1jim
f1jim

Postby Donna R » Thu Mar 26, 2009 4:50 pm

interesting about the chopsaver balm. looks like it's for sale in music stores and online. this page lists the ingredients. I wish I could get it at the local big discount store, I'd go buy some!

http://www.chopsaver.com/page/news-chopsaver-ibj
~ Donna
Donna R

Postby LJ » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:28 pm

Daffodil wrote:Organic coconut oil also works great on chapped lips.

I second the coconut oil...I don't use anything else anymore.
LJ

aloe vera problems

Postby cass » Sun May 03, 2009 11:39 am

I've suffered with chapped lips for years. I've tried many topical treatments (balms, vaseline, lip gloss, etc.).

About fifteen years ago, I got a rash on my legs that was so bad, my MD tested me for Lyme disease. To make a long story short, the rash was caused by a sensitivity to the aloe vera in a body lotion I had used. And when I use a lip balm with aloe vera in it, my lips become swollen, red, irritated, and very painful.

I learned from my dermatologist that more and more people are becoming sensitized to aloe vera, because it has been put into so many skin care products, from baby wipes to lotions to cosmetics. The "over-exposure" results in problems for some people.

I just wanted to put this information out there, in case it could help somebody.
It's never too late to try again and get it right!

cass

Postby LauraA » Fri May 08, 2009 8:58 pm

stephanie wrote:Just wanted to chime in with the lip balm I prefer. I'm a grad student in music, and I play my trombone for hours every day, so my lips take quite a beating, what with being used so much and alternating wet to dry all day long. I started using this stuff a few years ago and use it all the time now as my all-purpose lip balm, not just for after I've finished playing. I pretty much never have any major problems with super chapped lips.

I think this lip balm is available in some music stores, or you can buy it online.

http://www.chopsaver.com/

Hi, and thank you so much!! I'm in NY now, so I went into a nearby music store and bought some chopsaver. You are right - it is really GREAT! I don't have awful chapped lips, but whatever I use, I feel that the more I use it the more I need. I'm putting this on maybe once per day - it really works. Thanks again. Laura
Take care, LauraA

"ON PLAN, AND PLANNING TO STAY THAT WAY!"
Letha
LauraA

Return to Health Issues