Are Whey and bee pollen cancer promoters.

For those questions and discussions on the McDougall program that don’t seem to fit in any other forum.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, John McDougall, carolve, Heather McDougall

Are Whey and bee pollen cancer promoters.

Postby Rod » Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:14 am

For several years I have been taking whey and bee pollen with other supplements. Now I read the China Study and discovered that the other milk protein, casein, is a cancer promoter.

Do whey and bee pollen promote cancer?

Thanks,

Rod Hug
Santa Rosa, CA
Rod

Postby Magpie » Thu Mar 12, 2009 10:11 am

I don't know about bee pollen, but a lot of people say that whey is whey bad for you (groan ;))

Whey is basically a by-product of making certain dairy products. I did a quick search and one website described it as, "After fat and casein are removed from milk, dairy processors are left with whey protein. Whey is composed of bovine blood proteins. Serum albumen. Lactalbumen. Dead white blood cells. Hormonal residues including estrogen and progesterone."

Yum! :duh:

Whey has a lot of clever advertising behind it, and it's not surprising why: a lot of whey is left over in processing dairy and would just be thrown away as waste. There is a lot of money to be made out of selling it though, and whey has just become a brand like Coke or Pepsi.

As you've already read The China study, you'll know why dairy protein can be so bad for you. I would ditch the whey if I were you: if you still want to take a protein supplement you could try hemp seed. Hemp seed is full of protein as well as other nutrients and anti-oxidants . Whey is just, well, "bovine blood proteins" and hormones.
Magpie

Postby Rod » Mon Mar 16, 2009 9:21 pm

Thanks for the reply. I read one study that found Whey promoted 40 percent fewer tumors in mice that did Casein. Whey, of course, is one of the two proteins found in milk. But the study did not say that mice fed Whey had NO tumor promotion.

I have suspended consumption of Whey. By the way, since reading the China Study I no longer eat animal or dairy. I have lost 20 pounds and feel much better. It took a while getting used to the whole-food, plant diet. It took a while figuring out what to eat.

Dr McDougal's news letter recommended the China Study. That is how I discovered it. I started reading Dr McDougal's news letter when I was diagnosed with glaucoma. My eye doctor said life style and diet would not help glaucoma. But I am doing the best for my eyes anyway just in case.
Rod

Postby liam13 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 11:10 am

My naturopath recommended whey protein as part of my morning smoothie (other ingredients are flax seed meal, almond milk and blackberries I picked last summer), but the above information is quite disturbing. I need to read the ingredients on the tub. I'm sure there is something I can replace the whey with as I really like the smoothie in the am. :question:
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/][img]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/slider-man2/lb/245/185/250/.png[/img][/url]
liam13

Postby Daffodil » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:00 am

I've seen Whey in the stores. They always wanted $4.50 for a small tub of that junk. :eek: After knowing the ingredients of it, all I can say is "Gross!"

liam, when you read the ingredients, I am sure it won't list them the way Magpie did. It will probably list "natural flavors" and other things of that nature so you won't know what you are getting. They have clever names they make up to make us think we are getting great stuff.
I have a book called "Animal Ingredients from A to Z" in case you need something looked up. To verify it's animal origin. Let me know if you need any help with that. I'm always around here somewhere. :)
Daffodil

Postby Golden Ghost » Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:42 am

Golden Ghost

Postby liam13 » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:33 am

I'll check in my local Coop for pea protein. I don't need to stress the kidneys anymore than they are. Liam :-D
[url=http://www.3fatchicks.com/weight-tracker/][img]http://www.3fatchicks.net/img/bar-day/slider-man2/lb/245/185/250/.png[/img][/url]
liam13

Return to The Lounge