Riva

Share a great recipe or restaurant, ask a question about how to cook something, or mention a good ingredient substitute or packaged food.

Moderators: JeffN, f1jim, carolve, Heather McDougall

Riva

Postby hope101 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 12:10 am

I think it was you a few days ago who posted a great sounding menu that contained lentil loaf. Any chance of getting that recipe? I am preparing a meal for a lot of people next week and though that sounded excellent.
hope101

The lentil loaf

Postby Riva » Sun Dec 17, 2006 9:47 pm

Dear Hope101,
Sorry it took me so long but here it is. I got it from that fatfree.com wite on Thursday October 1, 1998!

Lentil Loaf ( Optional:Mashed Potato Topping & herbed Gravy)

Have 1 1/2 cups cooked brown or white rice on hand
1/2 cup uncooked brown lentils
5 cloves garlic
2 1/2 Cups Water or broth
Salt
1 T Dried basil
1T Dried parsley
1 small red onion finely chopped
1 stalk celery thinly sliced
1 small carrot thinly sliced or diced
1 cup bread crumbs
1 T Dijon mustard
Ketchup optional

In medium saucepan conbine lentiles and water or broth and bring to a full boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Add salt and continue simmering about 15 minutes until lentils are soft and the liquid has been absorbed.

In a small pan saute onions & garlic in water or wine until translucent. Add celery and carrots and cover and cook for 5 minutes. Pour vegetables in a mixing bowl and combine with bread crumbs, rice, lentils & seasonings. Place mixture into a 9X5X3 loaf pan that has been sprayed with non stick cooking spray.

Spread a very thick layer of mashed potatoes on top. Sprinkle with paprika. Bake uncovered for 30 minutes. Cut into thick slices and server with generous amounts of herbed gravy.

Or, sometimes I serve the mashed potatoes on the side. When I do that I put a design of ketchup on the top of the loaf before baking.

We love this recipe...but sometimes it kind of falls apart. and sometimes it cuts into nice slices. We don't know why! But it tastes great.
Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby hope101 » Sun Dec 17, 2006 11:48 pm

Thanks so much Riva. I will probably make it this week and let you know how it went. It would be so nice to have something essentially made I could just pop in the oven when my company comes.
hope101

lentil loaf experiment

Postby Riva » Mon Dec 18, 2006 11:21 am

Dear Hope,
I was thinking that maybe you should try it once before you make it for company. Also, we have noticed that if we cook it and have it in the fridge overnight that it slices better and crumbles less.

Here are what I am imagining some of the variables might be:
type of bread crumb used
type of rice
How much water is or is not absorbed by the lentils or the vegetables

Homemade bread crumbs or rather more like small bread chunks might help the whole thing stick together better. Also, I haven't tried this but that egg replacer might be an idea.

Sometimes for company I do saute the onions in oil....that is not appropriate for McDougallers though.
Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby hope101 » Mon Dec 18, 2006 2:11 pm

Riva: I was going to try it this week to see if it works and make that chickpea gravy from Vegan with a Vengeance to put on top. I make a sunflower lentil pie that sounds similar that my family likes, but it has you puree the lentils and onions with quick oats rather than bread crumbs. I thought I might try pureeing the lentils and veggies, then mixing with rice and breadcrumbs. I'll let you know how it goes. Isn't it funny when people ask for a recipe, then modify it the first time?

My fallback position if I don't have success will probably be just to do a veggie lasagna, garlic bread and huge salads.
hope101

That darn lentil loaf

Postby Riva » Tue Dec 19, 2006 11:33 pm

Dear Hope,
Well it makes sense for you to modify right away because we all have ideas of what we like and what works. I am anxiously awaiting y our results. And I would love to have the pureed dish you make too.
Riva
Never Ever Give Up
Riva

Postby hope101 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 10:39 am

Riva: Here's that recipe. It's adapted from Dreena Burton's "Vive le Vegan", my first vegan cookbook and one of my favourites. Hope you enjoy and please let me know.

Day 4: Sunflower-Lentil Pie (adapted from Vive le Vegan)

This can be made in double batch as it freezes well. Also can be made in advance and rewarmed in microwave or baking stage done at end of day.

¾ c. brown lentils
1 ¾ cups water
1 medium onion, diced
1 cup quick oats
½ cup sunflower seeds
1 stalk celery chopped (optional)
1 clove garlic, roughly chopped
2 Tbsp. HP sauce (or Bull’s Eye or ketchup, but HP sauce is excellent)
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
2 Tbsp. balsamic vinegar
1 Tbsp. cider vinegar
2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
½ tsp. rosemary
1 tsp. oregano
1/8 tsp. salt
pepper to taste

In a large pot over medium-high heat, combine the lentils and water and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover and let cook for 15-20 minutes. Add the onions, stir through and let cook for another 10-15 minutes, covered, until the lentils are soft and have absorbed all the water. In a blender or food processor, combine the lentils with the remaining ingredients and puree until just smooth but retaining some texture.
Transfer lentil mixture to lightly oiled pie plate and distribute evenly. Bake at 375 degrees for 27-30 minutes until lightly browned and just firm. Let stand for a few minutes to firm up and serve wedges with sauce as desired (Bull’s Eye, HP, Heinz 57, ketchup, etc.)
hope101

Return to Food, Recipes & Meal Planning